My bike light

BryGuy

Newly Enlightened
The lowdown: 3 luxeon III (TV1J) in series with an nFlex driver using a 14.4v NIMH drill battery. Optics are carclo 26.5mm. Optics holders are turned from PVC pipe. Stars are thermal epoxied to the heatsink. Holders are turned to be snug fit around stars.

Basically a fancy cup with a ledge for the heatsink to sit on. Used computer heatsink compound so I could get to the driver if I needed to.

The white bits are lengths of PVC used to fill space from bezel to heatsink as the optics sit a bit back of the bezel. I had originally intended to use 2 30mm optics and 1 26.5mm, but found the 3 did just as well with less fuss to fit. on the back are a momentary switch to control the driver, a DC jack (N size if I remember right) and the bracket to fit to my handlebars to match one I already had.

I tried to show the bevel on the heatsink for the bottom emitter. I think it's about 10 degrees if I remember my trig right. It points it down to light the road more immediately in front of me. If I had to do it again (and I will) I wouldn't make the angle quite so large, as it is too small and bright a hotspot to be as useful as I thought, but I still think it's a good idea. I can say that because I took the idea from one of the posts discussing bike lights here!

For the record, I'm exclusively a road rider. I think the beveled heatsink I made would be very effective for offroad, but I can only guess since I have no experience in the dirt.

For winter riding, the cooling fins are definately overkill. On my hour and a half rides, continuously on the 1 amp setting, the light is COLD to the touch in 40-50 degree temps. I will update in the summer if I need to.

Cut the glass for the bezel from a broken window 3/32 inch thick. Finish is plain old Kan o' Krylon. Tried to anodize it... disasterous to say the least. Plus I don't want it to be too tempting for thieves...

This has been a very rewarding project for me. I bought a 7x12 mini-lathe to do this project. I'm pretty pleased with the results especially for my first metal turning project. Took me 2 weeks to complete in the evenings after work, and I learned a lot doing it!

Forgot to mention, obviously "borrowed" most of my inspiration from ElectroLumens' (or is it Elektro?) design. Aside from the pure joy of DIY, I wanted a closed in back. If I had to do over again I would buy his and mod it. WAY cheaper!!! I don't see how he could do it that cheap!! I think his design has changed since I started mine, even. Oh, if only I had waited!!
/shameless plug off/

dsc003652qv.jpg

dsc003663kn.jpg

dsc003670tz.jpg

dsc003686na.jpg

dsc003693mz.jpg

dsc003704sd.jpg

Last edited:

BryGuy

Newly Enlightened
sorry for the pic size, I'll try to fix it. I'm just surprised it worked as it's my first time to post pics!

nightrider

Enlightened
Awesome! Love it.
We bike riders have the distinct advantage of forced air cooling ;)
Dang, wish I had a mini-lathe.

BryGuy

Newly Enlightened
nightrider said:
Awesome! Love it.
We bike riders have the distinct advantage of forced air cooling ;)
Dang, wish I had a mini-lathe.

What is this "thermal management" everyone speaks of? :)

Get the lathe!! drink the Kool-ade!! You won't regret it!!

You have a great light yourself. Very creative on the bracket.

Pinter

Newly Enlightened
It is great idea to tilt one light downwards. After I made my bike light I wished to do the same. But without lathe it is hopeless. Filing the bottom part of heatsink to make an even tilted surface for the close range beam is very painful.

Thermal management? In winter even the 20W power range is easily handled by the headwind. The 20W power after 30 minutes made my heatsink only a very little warm to my frozen hands. Ambient temp was 5C degree (41F) and the heatsink was probably around 30C (86F).

bbaker22

Newly Enlightened
Nice light! What is your source for that momentary switch? The one I picked up from Radio Shack is just too huge...

thanks,
baker

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Forgot to mention, obviously "borrowed" most of my inspiration from ElectroLumens' (or is it Elektro?) design. Aside from the pure joy of DIY, I wanted a closed in back. If I had to do over again I would buy his and mod it. WAY cheaper!!! I don't see how he could do it that cheap!! I think his design has changed since I started mine, even. Oh, if only I had waited!!"

Take the head off a 3D (or any) mag.
Take the tail off.
Place tail in head.
Silicon in place when done and you have something that looks a lot like what you have.
If you cut the body off a couple inches above the tail and threaded it you would have the same idea.

BryGuy

Newly Enlightened
bbaker, that switch is deceptively large. I had to drill a 1/2 inch hole to get it in. Not the best but better that the others at Radio Shack where I picked it up. I would bet you're talking about the exact switch I have!

mike said-
Take the head off a 3D (or any) mag.
Take the tail off.
Place tail in head.
Silicon in place when done and you have something that looks a lot like what you have.
If you cut the body off a couple inches above the tail and threaded it you would have the same idea.

Did one of those and wanted to use the 26.5 optics. Next one will go back to the mag head, U-bin emmiters or K-2, and I think 20mm optics. I could squeeze another emmiter in the one I made. I do like the whole design/fab part, too, much fun! Modding an existing product is a huge timesaver.

M

mypalthetortoise

Very Cool...

Any details on the driver? Didn't see it in the head, is it in its' own housing?