Simoniz System 5

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Last night I drove home a new Honda Civic. The last thing the business manager wanted was to sell me a paint treatment. I told him I'd need a couple days to check it out. Its supposed to completely seal the finish and be guaranteed for five years. Only problem, it's $500!! The car is black, so a permanent wax job would be nice, but this seems pricey. And, it might be snake oil anyway. Anybody heard of Simoniz System 5 or think these treatments are worth it? I'm kind of skeptical. Thanks.

Geoff

goldenlight

Enlightened
Congrats on your new car!

Click and Clack (radio program 'Car Talk', NPR) and numerous other auto writers have said the dealer applied 'paint sealant' is extremely profitable snake oil.

Most new cars have a clear coat anyway. And even if your car doesn't, the stuff they use won't last 5 years. Consumer's Report did a test on some of these finishes many years ago, and found 3M's Rain Dance paste wax to be more durable than the so called 'dealer paint sealer'. Save your money, buy a good premium wax, and wax your car twice a year. In 5 years, you'll have saved about $475.

BTW: I bought a new car in July. The dealer REALLY pushed the 'paint sealant' on me. It's because it's almost pure profit.

I use Nu Finish polish. It's not a 'conventional' wax, it's a polymer similar to the stuff the dealers use. I like it because it's much, much easier to buff off than conventional car wax, and it seems to last longer than any other wax I've used. Don't know how it works on a black car though: every tiny imperfection shows up on black. I've used it on my older bright red Celica, and it looks excellent on that car.

Good luck with your new ride! I drove the same Honda for 15 years; best car I've ever owned! :thumbsup:

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dealers call these kind of things "AOP".

That's ADD ON PROFIT.

It is more usual to have the "items" already installed, or attached to the car. This includes mud flaps, pinstriping, rust treatments, floor mats, cargo covers, etc. These are priced at the dealers ridiculous mark ups.

They usually add the cost of the items to the sticker on the window of the car as if the factory did it.

Don't pay it.

Honda (I have a Pilot) produces a perfectly good paint job, that will last, and last.

Go to Edmunds.com, and you will learn how to buy a car.

legtu

Enlightened
I highly doubt that a paint sealant will last *that* long...

If the guarantee includes a free paint job within 5 yrs. if the sealant fails, I might consider. ;)

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
On the advice of a friend who is a car nut, I bought some Zaino car polish.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

The car forums give a general thumbs up. Everybody has different preferences and expectations, so there are many people who prefer good old fashioned wax, or some other type of polish.

Here's a thread at the Edmunds.Com forum:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee9975f

It sounds like a lot of work, but it's really not. The most tedious part is using the clay bar. The actual application and removal of the Zaino polish is easy.

For what it's worth, I have a black 2003 Nissan Murano, and I've applied the polish every six months (clay once a year). So far I'm happy with the result, but I'm *not* a car nut so my standards are pretty low. I bought the standard kit (which I believe cost around $80), and I haven't used even half of the polish after 4 applications (3 coats each).

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
I have had excellent results with the new Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax.

Previously, I was a pure caranuba wax person. The Tech wax goes on and comes off easier, and the protection is better in my experience.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
www.detailersclub.com and www.autopia.org

I started detailing cars in 1999. After trying all sorts of waxes and polishes (Meguiar's Mirror Glaze, Consumer, and Detailer's lines), Klasse, Pinnacle, Blackfire, Platinum, Armor All, Turtle Wax, Automotive International, Eimann Fabrik, and so on.) I have settled on the usage of Zaino Bros. system for car paint sealant, glass polish, tire dressing, plastic polish, and interior leather cleaner and protectant.

The key to keeping a finish great is prevention and protection. I always have a ready clean kit in my trunk for bird bombs and such. I park my car away fromcivilization at the mall and other parking lots to avoid door dings from other drivers.

I actually have spent more money on towels, polishers (I have a Makita 9227C and a Porter Cable DA polisher), polishes, waxes, shop vacs, and all sorts of detailing related stuff than flashlights. But a $20K investment deserves it (2005 Mazda Tribute.)

Read up on the forums, check up on Autopia's car detailing guide book/e-book to get you started and keep your new car shining!

Jason