New Flashlight-Digital Camera Hybrid

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Wow!!! a flashlight with a mini cam..."3 5w Hi-Flux LEDs with a brightness controll". Uses a 12v NiMH battery. Aa claim of 75 Lumens. No mention of cost.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thing has come up before. I don't think it is necessarily a gimmick. It is intended for law enforcement and special ops use. Able to record video of an incident or operation. Has a gyro stabilized video cam. None of my flashlights have that.

I found a dealer who sells it, but even they won't disclose the price. My guess would be $$$$$$.

It's not aimed at regular folks like us, but you have to admit it might be the ultimate flashaholic toy.

Maybe Quickbeam will buy one for review. :naughty:

Mark

aceo07

Enlightened
I'd be curious to see how well the camera works.

The resolution is pretty low. The flashlight needs to be extremely bright to be able to capture a sharp picture. Or the camera electronics have to be able to do 1600iso or 3200iso AND have a big lens to be able to collect all the light back for a decent picture.

With my HDS EDS U60 at 60lumens shined on my white wall 6ft away, my DSLR camera takes a pictures at 1/200s shutter speed, 1600iso and apperture of 5.6. 1600iso is passable on my camera and could still look like a decent picture from a cheaper camera. However, the quality is noticably worse than at 100iso. Also, every feet I move away from the wall, the shutter speed goes down. I don't think it would take an acceptable photo from 15ft. Maybe if I have a much brighter flashlight...

I assume the camera on that flashlight is tiny compared to my camera. A smaller lens on a camera means that the iso would need to be higher and the shutter speed much slower. To compensate, there would needs to be A LOT of light on the target.

In conclusion, I think this is just a gimmick.. or the camera won't work well. Also, the gyro in the camera doesn't help that much. It doesn't stop the target from moving. It only helps to minimize the motion from the camera. Consider that it's in a flashlight form, it will move/shake more than a camera so it won't be able to do much. This is UNLESS there is some AMAZING camera technology out that nobody have mentioned.

If you have a small camera, try to take a picture of a object with your flashlight as primary lighting from a distance. That's probably how well the flashlightcamera will work. You can even leave the camera on a stable surface to remove any blurring cause by the camera movement. Also, if you notice the shutter speed is slow, then imagine how blurry the picture will be if the target (or camera) moves..

Last edited:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
AWESOME!!!

If I win the lottery, I'll get one and let you all know about it. Definitely the ultimate flashaholic's gadget!!

:wow::takeit::twothumbs:rock:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
No small number of features on that unit - like night vision, IR LEDs, and 1GB of flash memory. I wonder about their specs - they claim a 3MP camera when its phsyical resolution is 768*494 (~379K), 75 lumens from 3x5W LEDs (75lm each?), and mention a lithium-ion battery in the flash brochure but then say NiMH on the specsheet.

Seems like a well thought-out gimmick that just might be a decent tool for some.