Anyone open the converter section of a U2?

grnamin

Enlightened
I'm wondering if the converter board has something to do with the 6 power levels of the Surefire U2 or if the selector ring functions independent of the converter such that if one is able to switch out only the converter itself, will the light levels still function? This may be a longshot, but I'm thinking of changing out the converter so that the setup supports a Luxeon III. Is this possible?

TheSteve

Newly Enlightened
My guess is that there is only one pcb in the U2 with the sensors mounted on the ouside of the PCB in a circle to detect the magnet in the adjustment ring and the driver mounted in the middle of the board.

I would love to see a U2 fully disassembled though. From the bottom of the head you can see two screws that thread in from the top. I have removed the bezel from one of my U2s but don't recall seeing anything that was hiding the tops of the screws.

grnamin

Enlightened
TheSteve, it looks like those two screws can only be exposed upon removal of the LED and the black covering right under where the LED sits. What do you think?

TheSteve

Newly Enlightened
I'll have to take a look at that area again tonight and see what it appears to be made of. If its just some black plastic thats epoxed down we should be able to remove it.