Flashaholic, now " Fenix fanatic"

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I apologize if this is another redunadant rant about the Fenix 1L P but I must say that it exceeds my greatest expectations ( which were high, I knew it would blast my beautiful TERRALUX AA CHROMESTAR right off my keyring), but I was amazed when it rivaled my beloved Q III. a single AA matching the power of a CR123!:wow:
I wonder how a 1LP would do against a 3 LED peak matterhorn?

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
The kind of interesting thing is the L1P pushes an alkaline AA to its limits, but the Q3 is loafing along. There could be a Q3P with a T-flux Lux3 that put out 50+ lumens out the front (vs about 25 lumens for the L1P) with about 1 hour of runtime.

The 3-led Matterhorn is a far lower powered light, totally different idea. The Q3 and L1P are at least 5x brighter than the Matterhorn.

rmacias

Enlightened
tsask said:
I apologize if this is another redunadant rant about the Fenix 1L P but I must say that it exceeds my greatest expectations ( which were high, I knew it would blast my beautiful TERRALUX AA CROMESTAR right off my keyring), but I was amazed when it rivaled my beloved Q III. a single AA matching the power of a CR123!:wow:
I wonder how a 1LP would do against a 3 LED peak matterhorn?

I was so impressed that I bought 3 and I'm thinking of getting another. :)

RJM

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. It's the light I've been wanting for YEARS. I've always been dreaming of how to build my own 1AA powered luxeon light at near full 350ma drive level. Then the Fenix comes along and answers my wishes, and is awesome in shape/form/etc. I not only performs, but looks and feels so darn cool!!!

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you guys STOP IT!!!??:shakehead

:rant:Geez, I'm already going crazy because I'm low on funds this time of year and will probably have to wait a month or two to get a L1P, and then all I see on this forum is how great this thing is. Thanks a lot!!:grin2:

:banghead: :sigh:

Or better yet, just send me a free "brand spanking new" L1P.:nana:

Last edited:

JanCPF

Enlightened
Yeah, the pressure on us who don't own it yet are certainly evident, and I'm about to break, so I might just give john at lighthound.com a holler one of these days.

But what has held me back so far, is the lack of regualtion on this light, as can be seen here: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1p.htm
Don't you owners think this is a bit of a problem?

Jan

Last edited:

Literator

Newly Enlightened
JanCPF said:
Yeah, the pressure on us who don't own it yet are certainly evident, and I'm about to break, so I might just give john at lighthound.com a holler one of these days.

But what has held me back so far, is the lack of regualtion on this light, as can be seen here: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1p.htm
Don't you owners think this is a bit of a problem?

Jan

Jan:

Doug, at Flashlightreviews.com, DID give it a 5-star rating, and I think it's fully justified. This is one light that has it all right for a great price. I have seen others say that a year ago, you would have paid over $100 for something similar.

I've had my Fenix for about a month, and love it!

--Bob

Somy Nex

Enlightened
yea, the Fenix's runtime plot might not be very attractive when it's running on a common alkaline, but that's exactly what it is, a common alkaline. once you run it on lithiums or rechargeables (both of which though not everywhere are relatively common too), the plots become better.

TIN's graph of the Fenix on Lithiums: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1103870&postcount=22
Roy's on 2900mAh rechargeables: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1161062&postcount=1
Jtice's v2's and v2.5 on 2500mAh rechargeables: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1167212&postcount=12

on a related note, i hear the coming L2 should have better regulation... :grin2:

tntsl

Newly Enlightened
I've been curious whether or not anyone had runtime plots for the Energizer lithium AA batteries in a Fenix L1P. It's good to see those. I should be getting 2 L1Ps today or tomorrow and I plan to use the Energizer lithium AAs in them.

Somy Nex said:
yea, the Fenix's runtime plot might not be very attractive when it's running on a common alkaline, but that's exactly what it is, a common alkaline. once you run it on lithiums or rechargeables (both of which though not everywhere are relatively common too), the plots become better.

TIN's graph of the Fenix on Lithiums: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1103870&postcount=22
Roy's on 2900mAh rechargeables: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1161062&postcount=1
Jtice's v2's and v2.5 on 2500mAh rechargeables: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1167212&postcount=12

on a related note, i hear the coming L2 should have better regulation... :grin2:

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Just out of principle, I have decided to NOT spend more
than $40 shipped for the Fenix L1P. I do not like to spend
more for an electronic item once it has been on the market
for a while. I can understand having to pay more to get
it early.

- Vikas

rscanady

Enlightened
Glad I got in when the V2.0 were selling, guess I should get a V2.5 now too though, aw heck maybe a couple, these make great gifts too.

Ryan

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vikas Sontakke wrote: "Just out of principle, I have decided to NOT spend more
than $40 shipped for the Fenix L1P. I do not like to spend
more for an electronic item once it has been on the market
for a while.
I can understand having to pay more to get it early."

Surprisingly that last statement is actually not true.

The Fenix L1P was only $38 shipped from 4seven's original GroupBuy which ran for a month from August/15 thru Sept/15

see: GROUPBUY: Fenix L1 and L1P - $28 / $38 SHIPPED

However if you still want a Fenix L1 for under $40 - consider the Non-Premium version - Fenix L1 v2.5 (Non-Premium) - it is rated/advertized at only 17% less bright than the P(remium) version - with the same runtime. The Non-Premium version only has type 2 anodization, and it does not have the anti-reflective coating on its UCL lens - but the retail price is $29.95 some $15 cheaper.......

That's the version I opted for. (please see this linked comparative review Fenix L1 v2.5 (Non-Premium) with lots of side-by-side comparison beamshots)

tron3

Banned
Just when I thought it was safe to come in the dark.

I love my Nuwai QIII, but I am looking for smaller and just as bright. Someone PLEASE give me a web site to buy some!

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
I believe nobody has the non-premium in stock. I kick myself for
missing the group buy.

I do wonder though how long Fenix will be able to insist
upon "Bose Pricing Model". I have a feeling that as
the shopping season goes in full frenzy, I might be able
to see dealers being able to discount it below the MSRP
price without getting whacked from the manufacturer.

Until that time, I am going to keep admiring my S1801,
RiverRock 2AAA, Mr Bulk's LGI and Costco 2AA and tell myself
that I will not cave in.

- Vikas

Geologist

Enlightened
The QIII is under driven. If you want to get more out of your QIII, drop in a RCR123 - that'll give it the kick that it needs!

tron3

Banned
Geologist said:
The QIII is under driven. If you want to get more out of your QIII, drop in a RCR123 - that'll give it the kick that it needs!

Which rechargeable 3.7v or 4.2v? Woo hoo. How much more output we looking at? Lumens # appreciated if possible.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
tron3 wrote: "Which rechargeable 3.7v or 4.2v?"

For the Nuwai Q3 please look at this recent thread -

Nuwai QIII and R123's?

Please also check out this thread for side-by-side comparison beamshots -

Nuwai Q3 with RCR123 + Nano Charger

I am not aware of any rechargeable Li-Ion RCR123 that are rated at 4.2V -
this is the open-circuit voltage that RCR123 could reach freshly off the charger, under load such as in a flashlight the actual working voltage is lower.

4.2V is often used as a warning for lights not suitable with 3.7V RCR123, as "4.2V" is some 40% higher than the regular (non-rechargeable) 3.0V CR123A.