Firefox 1.5 Released

cy

Flashaholic
thanks for the heads-up...

downloading as I type this. mozilla must have some fat pipes! everyone must be hitting their servers all at once and it's still speedy as can be.

5meg file fully download in aprox. one minute or how long it took me to type this

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mozilla is usually pretty good about staggering their releases. I first downloaded this from an open-source site. A few hours later I found it available on the Mozilla site itself. At this time though, it still wasn't available through the auto-update system...and it probably won't be for a few days.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
They need a good way to import your bookmarks from previous versions. Between my work and home computers, I have gone through at least 4 different versions of Firbird and Firefox and whatever, and can't get the bookmarks carried through from one to the next.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine in 26 secs. I downloaded using FireFox, press cntrl-J select the download, right click properties, and it shows start and finish time. :)

Time to check it out as soon as I close all these tabs! :)

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
bjn70 said:
They need a good way to import your bookmarks from previous versions. Between my work and home computers, I have gone through at least 4 different versions of Firbird and Firefox and whatever, and can't get the bookmarks carried through from one to the next.

That's interesting you should mention that, because I have not once had a problem with my bookmarks being automatically carried over. Are you uninstalling your old version of Firefox before installing the new?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just install over the exsisting. I noticed thats how the auto update does. downloads to your desktop, then runs the installer.

jtice

Flashaholic
Downloading it now,

I have been using the beta version for months,
nice, except a few plugins i liked, like DownthemAll werent compatible.

~John

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Up and running in like 10 secs. I noticed they chagned the options layout, but pretty much the same. Loads faster too. I need to put this on my flash drive, as it's got an old version on there.

I wonder if the portable firefox dude's website has this version ready to go, or if I'll have to tweak it myself. It's great to always have your bookmarks and your favorite web browswer with you no matter what PC you use. Plus I have LOTS of games to entertain me on it. (doom2, shadow warrior, duke nukem 3d, SNES emulator,etc)... Getting off topic now... lol

jtice

Flashaholic
Issac,

How are you having your favorites in diff places?
Id love to syncronize my home and work Firefox with my Pen Drive.

~John

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
John, I can't remember right now, but I did it manualy, I think I copied a file or two back and forth. Not the best way. The usb drive mainly had bookmarks to favorite/usefull sites. I only sometimes added a bookmark to it to come back reading at a later date.

There might be an extension or tool or somthing for this... Good question.

EDIT: Open the bookmark manager, and select import/export. This seems to be a good way to do it. I never did use this feature even though it was always there and I remeber it. Just plug your USB drive in, export the bookmarks to say your desktop, close out FF, open FF from your HD, and then import them in... :)

Last edited:

Screehopper

Enlightened
With older versions of Firefox I had trouble with the bookmarks not importing correctly, but that's because I was using different OSes from Windows, linux, and Mac OS X. But with the past two releases I did not get that problem anymore.

Anyways....downloading 1.5 now.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
seems a few things on CPF like advance posting seems broken. well not broken but just doesn't look right. Still works, just not as "pretty"....

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Not sure if it still works but the old netscape versions (mozilla) you could just rename the default bookmark.html file and copy your old one in the same directory and it would use it instead.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Just downloaded it and now I'm having problems getting adblock to work with it.
When I downloaded it it said that adblock would not work with it. So I wen to mozillas site to try to download the latest version. Except when I press the install button a little drop down bar comes down that says that "software installation is currently disabled" It then tells me to go to the options to change it. Except I can't figure out what I need to change.
It brings me to the content section in the options menu. I've tried unclicking everything there to no avail, nothing else seems to work.

Any ideas?

UPDATE : I looked around the internet a while and found out what the problem was. While the old version had the box "allow websited to install software" the newest version did not. I had to go into the about:config and change a setting. look here for the site.
The newest version of adblock .5.2.056 seems to work.

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
...so where did my scroll bar at the right side of my screen go with this new version?

I'm looking at configurations, settings, etc. and can't seem to find anything to enable it ----> HELP!?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
...so Green, you have a scroll bar on the right side of your screen?

I use mine all the time - gotta have it! Yes I use the scroll wheel on my mouse, but I like the indicator on the scroll bar so I have a feel "where I'm at" in the thread.