Acebeam        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Even my dogs are flashaholics...

Default Even my dogs are flashaholics...

Take one dog and one River Rock 0.5W headlamp. Remove the top strap, and the headlamp fits just like an adjustable collar.

Before I go on, here's the important stuff:

Compared to a MiniMag:

River Rock Headlamp in EDC mode:

Beamshots:

Seriously though, the dog-mounted headlamp is great when I walk them, because I can keep my hands warm in my pockets but still see where we're going. Passing cars can see us better too.

When my mom walks her older dog with me, I can easily see where they are at night, even though they prefer walking slower.

Plus, a headlamp mounted on my head is "dorky". A headlamp mounted to a dog is "cute".

Small tip: if you have a small dog, you can take the top adjustable strap and replace the side strap with it. It's a lot shorter but still adjustable, so it'll fit around the smaller dog's necks.

Default Re: Even my dogs are flashaholics...

Hahah! thats awesome!! Great idea!!! The dog can see, and so can you! Others can see your dog too!! If I saw that in person I'd just stare and think it was so coool!

You might check out these EL collars.

-john

Flashaholic

I need something for my three cats.

Something low-light LED, a different color for each of them that would turn on when they move. I often have to break up play time or fights at night, and usually just swing "The Punisher" (My pillow) indiscriminately. It would be nice to find out who is actually instigating the problem and put them in jail (Spare bedroom) accordingly...

Cool! I need to rig up something like that for my Dad's dog. What with his old age, poor eyesight, and lack of hearing, he really could use some help illuminating his path..

Vee3: how about those tire-flys or whatever valve stem covers that light up when wheels go round and round. That would be motion activated. If the cats are active a lot it would wear down the batts more though.. Just put them on at night..

After a UK style Driven Shoot (well paying guns line out and 'beaters', drive the birds over them) dog handlers and their teams (2+) dogs get to move into the area and sweep up wounded birds or shot dead birds laying in places that only dogs can get to.

None of our dogs work with collars on, in case they get hung up on fences or in brush.

As the days get shorter, the time between 'picking up' the birds from the last drive of the day and the fall of darkness gets closer.

I use a PETZL ZIPKA PLUS on any dogs that I am hunting in the hour before dark. Blinking Mode just in case they go off hunting a running bird in a dark wood. That way I can see them and don't worry about where they are. Otherwise Black Dogs in a dark wood are a nightmare to find. And if one decides to ignore the recall whistle, I know which way to start looking. If they got hung up anywhere, the elastic in the retractor would easily break with the weight of a dog struggling, so they are safe as well as seen.

When I walk them at night, they have Photons in blinking mode on their collars.

So I guess my hounds are into lights as well (At least, I told them to say that !)

Alan
    The grim reaper comes, the grim reaper goes, nobody knows when the grim reaper shows.

The grim reapers here, the grim reapers there, some need fear the reapers spear.

my Dogs have been wearing ARCs since they were first created.
    The Creator of the protected RCR123

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by xtalman
    Before I go on, here's the important stuff:

Compared to a MiniMag:

This size comparison is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while...
    It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's. It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

-- Oxford University Press, Edpress News

Quote Originally Posted by JonSidneyB
    my Dogs have been wearing ARCs since they were first created.
    ARCs ?

As in ARC torches ?

Alan
    The grim reaper comes, the grim reaper goes, nobody knows when the grim reaper shows.

The grim reapers here, the grim reapers there, some need fear the reapers spear.

Yep,

I bought many ARCs specifically as dog lights.

It was just a few years ago that we would just open the door and let the dogs run. Today its not so easy anymore.
    The Creator of the protected RCR123

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus93
    Yeah, once I thought about it I thought it would be more humorous in pictures.

The dogs chased the hot-spot for a few minutes after I put on the headlamps at first, but now they're accustomed to it. Now whenever I pick one up they try to stick their heads through the headlamp collar - even if they already have a headlamp on!

The dog in the pictures is deaf, so if she gets lost I should be able to find her more easily. At least I could call around and ask if they have any dogs with flashlights on if she got picked up.

Cool Re: Even my dogs are flashaholics...

good idea... i'll buy one for my dog. WHat is the runtime on that thing?

-David

Currently I've been hanging green Glo-Toob FXes on slow blink from the collar. It really stands out. Much more so than the Arc-AAA or Photon (I used to use Photon 3s with the RAVE dohicky on them set to blink).

-john

------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm trying to tie the dog walking threads together. Here are all the dog walking threads I know of:

Summary of Dog Walking Threads on the CPF Wiki

[Keywords: dog, doggie, doggy, blinker, reflective, night, walking, safety]
    Last edited by John N; 10-05-2006 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonSidneyB
    Yep,
    It was just a few years ago that we would just open the door and let the dogs run. Today its not so easy anymore.
    Run where? In the neighborhood?

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus93

Yeah that was hilarious.

Xtalman- Nighteyes makes a type of collar that you can put on your dog that lights up. It's pretty cool from what I hear. Heres the link.

http://www.niteize.com/productdetail...&product_id=43

Unenlightened

I picked up a red Inova microlight and hung it from my dogs collar the last time we were in a heavily wooded area and it was reall neat to see the crazy pattern my dog took to search they area for wild animals!. For the heck of it, I taped it to the middle of her tail and it was an interesting lightshow, especially when I put it on strobe!. I can see that the next time I get a puppy, until she is well trained I will use this light when we are in an unfamiliar area!. Now I need to figure out more silly ways to mess with my dog. Maybe I could tape on 4 Inova's, each a different color, one on each leg, should be an interesting and amusing lightshow, especially with the strobe function!. Man, I am starting to think I have to much time on my hands when I think about this crazy stuff!!...

Quote Originally Posted by cheapo
    good idea... i'll buy one for my dog. WHat is the runtime on that thing?

-David
    Looks like about 6 hours on high, about 25 on low. I've only been walking the dogs for about a week so far, so I'm still on the first set of batteries. I need to get some rechargeable AAA batteries.

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews...k_headlamp.htm

LOL!... the beamshot with dog silhouette is hysterical!

Bump for a good topic on night time dog safety.
    I'm an excellent driver. Of course I don't have my underwear... I'm definitely not wearing my underwear

Flashaholic

Compared to a MiniMag:

i have to come up with something like this. i just open the door and let them out. my cloest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. would be good to look out the door and see 4 lights running across the back field.
    "Never underestimate the love of a man for his dog"

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Vee3
    I need something for my three cats.

Something low-light LED, a different color for each of them that would turn on when they move. I often have to break up play time or fights at night, and usually just swing "The Punisher" (My pillow) indiscriminately. It would be nice to find out who is actually instigating the problem and put them in jail (Spare bedroom) accordingly...
    Glowrings - My female has a pink one, my male a blue one

Hehe, I love this. Have you gotten any comments on the street?

Flashaholic

Now whenever I pick one up they try to stick their heads through the headlamp collar - even if they already have a headlamp on!
    See what you have done to them, they're already full-blown flashaholics - They want MORE LIGHT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cheapo
    WHat is the runtime on that thing?
    I'd guess about 1-2 hours on a can of dogfood.

Great shots, well done

*Flashaholic*

interesting idea.

I like it, now if I could just get my dog to sit still long enough to put one on.
    Concept

heh my dog has a puplight, its like a petzl for dogs, got it on sale last year from a hsn sale i saw on fatwallet. quite bright for the price actually.

you know those doggie packs for hiking? you could strap a maglite to each side for headlights

Quote Originally Posted by ynggrsshppr
    Hehe, I love this. Have you gotten any comments on the street?
    People loved it! Especially kids. It brought smiles to peoples faces, and oncoming traffic would give us extra room and slow down to get a better look.

Unfortunately, the two dogs I did this with died of old age in March. They loved the night-time walks and would get excited as soon as I picked those headlamps up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast