Even my dogs are flashaholics...

xtalman

Newly Enlightened
Take one dog and one River Rock 0.5W headlamp. Remove the top strap, and the headlamp fits just like an adjustable collar.

Before I go on, here's the important stuff:

Compared to a MiniMag:
normalimg08102tu.jpg

River Rock Headlamp in EDC mode:
normalimg08129qg.jpg

Beamshots:
normalimg08273nn.jpg

:nana:

Seriously though, the dog-mounted headlamp is great when I walk them, because I can keep my hands warm in my pockets but still see where we're going. Passing cars can see us better too.

When my mom walks her older dog with me, I can easily see where they are at night, even though they prefer walking slower.

Plus, a headlamp mounted on my head is "dorky". A headlamp mounted to a dog is "cute".

Small tip: if you have a small dog, you can take the top adjustable strap and replace the side strap with it. It's a lot shorter but still adjustable, so it'll fit around the smaller dog's necks.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hahah! thats awesome!! Great idea!!! The dog can see, and so can you! Others can see your dog too!! If I saw that in person I'd just stare and think it was so coool!

Vee3

Enlightened
I need something for my three cats.

Something low-light LED, a different color for each of them that would turn on when they move. I often have to break up play time or fights at night, and usually just swing "The Punisher" (My pillow) indiscriminately. It would be nice to find out who is actually instigating the problem and put them in jail (Spare bedroom) accordingly...

Schuey2002

Enlightened
Cool! I need to rig up something like that for my Dad's dog. What with his old age, poor eyesight, and lack of hearing, he really could use some help illuminating his path.. :grin2:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vee3: how about those tire-flys or whatever valve stem covers that light up when wheels go round and round. That would be motion activated. If the cats are active a lot it would wear down the batts more though.. Just put them on at night..

AlanH

Enlightened
After a UK style Driven Shoot (well paying guns line out and 'beaters', drive the birds over them) dog handlers and their teams (2+) dogs get to move into the area and sweep up wounded birds or shot dead birds laying in places that only dogs can get to.

None of our dogs work with collars on, in case they get hung up on fences or in brush.

As the days get shorter, the time between 'picking up' the birds from the last drive of the day and the fall of darkness gets closer.

I use a PETZL ZIPKA PLUS on any dogs that I am hunting in the hour before dark. Blinking Mode just in case they go off hunting a running bird in a dark wood. That way I can see them and don't worry about where they are. Otherwise Black Dogs in a dark wood are a nightmare to find. And if one decides to ignore the recall whistle, I know which way to start looking. If they got hung up anywhere, the elastic in the retractor would easily break with the weight of a dog struggling, so they are safe as well as seen.

When I walk them at night, they have Photons in blinking mode on their collars.

So I guess my hounds are into lights as well (At least, I told them to say that !)

Alan

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep,

I bought many ARCs specifically as dog lights.

It was just a few years ago that we would just open the door and let the dogs run. Today its not so easy anymore.

xtalman

Newly Enlightened
Amadeus93 said:
This size comparison is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while... :lolsign:

Yeah, once I thought about it I thought it would be more humorous in pictures.

The dogs chased the hot-spot for a few minutes after I put on the headlamps at first, but now they're accustomed to it. Now whenever I pick one up they try to stick their heads through the headlamp collar - even if they already have a headlamp on!

The dog in the pictures is deaf, so if she gets lost I should be able to find her more easily. At least I could call around and ask if they have any dogs with flashlights on if she got picked up.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
good idea... i'll buy one for my dog. WHat is the runtime on that thing?

-David

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently I've been hanging green Glo-Toob FXes on slow blink from the collar. It really stands out. Much more so than the Arc-AAA or Photon (I used to use Photon 3s with the RAVE dohicky on them set to blink).

-john

------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm trying to tie the dog walking threads together. Here are all the dog walking threads I know of:

Summary of Dog Walking Threads on the CPF Wiki

[Keywords: dog, doggie, doggy, blinker, reflective, night, walking, safety]

Last edited:

TurboI

Newly Enlightened
JonSidneyB said:
Yep,
It was just a few years ago that we would just open the door and let the dogs run. Today its not so easy anymore.

Run where? In the neighborhood?

ottoluck

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a red Inova microlight and hung it from my dogs collar the last time we were in a heavily wooded area and it was reall neat to see the crazy pattern my dog took to search they area for wild animals!. For the heck of it, I taped it to the middle of her tail and it was an interesting lightshow, especially when I put it on strobe!. I can see that the next time I get a puppy, until she is well trained I will use this light when we are in an unfamiliar area!. Now I need to figure out more silly ways to mess with my dog. Maybe I could tape on 4 Inova's, each a different color, one on each leg, should be an interesting and amusing lightshow, especially with the strobe function!. Man, I am starting to think I have to much time on my hands when I think about this crazy stuff!!...:grin2: