Size of McLuxIII-PD vs. HDS vs. LionCub

Amadeus93

Newly Enlightened
I'm having a hard time visualizing the relative sizes of these three lights. Does any lucky soul have all three, and if so, would they be willing to post side by side (by side) pictures?

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are basically the same size give or take a couple mm. They just look totally different from one another.

kukula

Enlightened
I have both the PD and the Cub. The PD is longer by a few mm, thats all. I recently met up with Billson and he showed me his EDC 60. Its about the same size as my PD. So yes, all three lights are about the same size.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
EDC-PD-T-TiLC.jpg

Left to right: HDS with added length of Ti Bezel ring, McLuxIII-PD, McLuxIII-T and LC Titanium.

Amadeus93

Newly Enlightened
greenLED, I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not, but as much as I covet one (or all!) of these lights, there something about the diameter of them that I find too bulky. You can't get any slimmer than a 123 cell, I suppose...

What are the dimensions of a 123 as compared to, say, a CR2 and a AA?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Facetious, moi? Never! :p :nana:
:laughing:

Now, seriously, any of those is larger than an Arc LS (especially with a twisty). We're talking less than 1 inch difference here, but some people like to argue details like that. They're all pretty small.

Amadeus93

Newly Enlightened
I just wish there was a high-end light with multiple levels (and ideally some programmability) that wasn't quite as bulky. Maybe the AWR Nano is what I'm really looking for, I don't know...

greenLED

Flashaholic
Hmmmm.... :thinking: I've been EDC'ing an ArcLS in my pocket for well over... I can't even remember. It's diameter really isn't a problem for pocket carry; you'd never know I have it there. Even when I was using a clickie, size (length and diameter) wasn't an issue.

Or, get CY (or someone else, jtice, maybe? I know they've been working on fitting sammies inside ArcLS's) to mod an Arc+twisty+POP-board for you. I don't even know if he does this, but I'm pretty sure it's possible as I've seen POP boards shortstacked much thinner than possible with Wayne's (Sandwich Shoppe) boards.

Another option if you're into modding: mod an old-style Infinity light to accept a POP-sammie and run it off a AA-sized battery. You'd get programability, rechargeable option, slimmer body (compared to 123), but the light'll be slightly longer than the ArcLS. Further, if you have the Infinity body bored and cut down to fit a CR2... but then maybe you'd be better off with a Jil-light (which can take POP sammies, IIRC).

See, I'm always serious. :)

Ned-L

Enlightened
I went through almost the same process of considering the HDS, McLuxIII-PD, and the Jil Intelli and decided (not owning any of these lights yet) that only the Jil Intelli would be small enough as a front pocket carry light. And now am anxiously waiting for its Dec 10th shipment.

LouRoy said:
Amadeus93, I don't know if I would call it a high end light, but the Jil Intelli is tiny compared to those three lights. It has the Flupic so the light level is adjustable.

Here is the thread:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=97559

greenLED

Flashaholic
That's what I was thinking of: Jil Inteli.
Personally, I don't like the reduced runtime on CR2's (edit: compared to 123's), but with POP options... :D

Last edited:

LouRoy

Enlightened
greenLED, The Jil DD has an incredible run time of 20+ hours on a single primary CR2. Don't know yet what the runtimes will be with the Jil Intelli, but I think they will be good, especially at the lower levels.

greenLED

Flashaholic
LouRoy said:
greenLED, The Jil DD has an incredible run time of 20+ hours on a single primary CR2.

I should've qualified my comparison... "reduced runtime compared to a 123 cell". :) Twenty hours is pretty good, imagine the runtime with a larger cell.

...Never mind me, I just don't want the hassle of having one more battery size on my desk. :)

LouRoy

Enlightened
greenLED said:
I should've qualified my comparison... "reduced runtime compared to a 123 cell". :) Twenty hours is pretty good, imagine the runtime with a larger cell.

...Never mind me, I just don't want the hassle of having one more battery size on my desk. :)

I just received the Jil Bus (a 2AA battery extension tube) that works on the Jil DD as well as the Jil 1.3. I can only imagine the runtime with the Jil DD on 2 AA cells :wow: .

I don't have the capability of doing runtime charts. Maybe someone else will do this and let us know what the runtime will be--40 hours? 60 hours?

I plan to get the Jil Cab (1x 14500 cell size)with the Jil Intelli for additional runtime.