Would a R123 kill an Inova T1??

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody tried this? I really like the little batteries and Nano charger that I picked up last week, but the only thing that I know that I can safely use them in right now is my QIII. Will the T1 take the extra voltage or leak the magic smoke???

Thanks,
Danny

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
Email JSBurly's. He knows about all the inovas and how they relate to the R123. I think the only a protected R123 that does not exceed 3.0 volts is safe for use in Inovas. While you're at it, ask him whats safe for each of the inova lights and post it here. It would be useful for alot of people.:)

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are older posts on what rechargeables can be used in Inovas.

Basically, do not use 3.7 Volt RCR 123 in ANY of them. I have personal experience on this.

Anthony

aceo07

Enlightened
There won't be any smoke. At least not from my experience with 2 R123s in an XO. It'll just be a bit brighter for a minute and then never come on again.. :(

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, so much for that idea. I like them a lot in my QIII, but I guess that I will just restrict them to it.

Thanks!
Danny

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
pfmedic wrote: "I think the only a protected R123 that does not exceed 3.0 volts is safe for use in Inovas."

Just a small point for clarification a Protected Li-Ion rechargeable battery - means that there is a circuit built-in the battery to protect it from deep-discharge - so if one inadvertantly leaves a flashlight on with the protected cell - it is not permanently damaged from deep discharge - as the protection circiuit will cut-out when the actual battery voltage drops below a certain level.

A Protected Li-Ion rechargeable RCR123 battery does not mean it is at 3.0V - as it can still be the higher 3.6/3.7V rated voltage - typical of commonly available rechargeable Li-Ion RCR123's (protected or unprotected - the protection circuitry does not affect voltage) - which apparently will damage the Inova T1.

What is really wanted are the newer 3.0V Li-Ion rechargeable RCR123A batteries - which are supposed to be a direct substitution for regular CR123A (non-rechargeable) Lithium batteries.

there are now nominal 3.0V rechargeable RCR123 starting to be available -
at J.S. Burly's to name one CPF trusted source:

3volt JSB-123

EDIT - here's another source -

RCR123A 3.0V 680mAh Li-ion Battery Kit

Last edited: