New Lumileds DLP Pocket Data/Video Projector

dbrad

Newly Enlightened
I just had a chance to demo a new Mitsubishi product which is the beginning of a revolution in the world of digital projectors.

This thing is really small. It's a little smaller than 2" x 4"x 4 3/4". It runs on a battery and is a VGA resolution projector with scaling of any size input. It has 15-pin data, s-video and composite RCA inputs

The revolutionary thing about it is that it is a collaboration between Hitachi, Texas Instruments and Lumelids- it uses a luxeon LED emitter instead of the various hi-intensity discharge lamps most digital projectors use. This makes the unit smaller, run cooler, and the bulb doesn't burn out. Oh yeah- and it's cheaper! Around $700 list.

Unfortunately it's not as bright- and ANSI ratings haven't been assigned yet, but it has a respectable output I would guess at around 300-500 lumens. Which is comparable to older 3-beam CRT projectors a hundred times the size and hundred times the price at one time, long ago. A well darkened or even very DARK room is important. The battery has only about a 2 1/2 hour battery life, and does not clamp on nicely, but that is planned for future versions, as well as a tripod thread socket on the bottom.

NEC has announced a small LCD projector with a LED light source, but Hitachi is the first with a product. It should be on the market in the next few weeks, but demand is already high, so it might be difficult to get one at first.

paulr

Flashaholic
How does it generate less heat than a HID unit except by making fewer lumens? HID is just as efficient as LED's and in fact may generate less heat (by radiating more of the waste energy as infrared, like an incan bulb). Does it have a cooling fan? Does it use separate R,G,B leds?

I do think it's a cool idea and they should make one that doesn't bother with battery power but is bigger and brighter and higher res.

dbrad

Newly Enlightened
To the best of my knowledge, HID lamps are universally brighter than LEDs. which is not to say more efficient. The last few years have seen big advances in the overall brightness as well as the relative brightness-to-size ratio of these highly engineered lamps (not to be confused with standardized HID lamps), which require fan-cooling and are very expensive to replace; typically replacement costs are in the $300 - 400 + range. This Hitachi projector uses a small fan, but doesn't require cool-down, and the warmth it produces is barely noticeable.

I'm not sure, but I beleive it only uses a single LED with a DLP chip from Texas Instruments, which works like thousands of tiny rotating mirrors to reflect the light of the LED in the various colors for each pixel.

I am sure that the limited amount of light this projector produces is on the cutting edge of the capability of LEDs or they would have made this unit brighter, which is the direction the entire market has been moving, as well as smaller.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
so this can be used as a pc monitor?but only in the dark room.hmmn i may like this my room is lighted by a 20 watt florscent

Kiessling

Flashaholic
If this thing really produces 300+ lm it is either a new and yet unseen LED from Lumileds or multiple emitters ...
bernie

dbrad

Newly Enlightened
When I asked what Lumileds product was used, the product manager said that Lumileds had not made their product type information available, only that it was new technology engineered for this application.

Raggie- absolutely the coolest application for this, would be what I would try first as well. Also great for watching DVDs.

Makarov

Enlightened
Bernie, I belive it's actually 3 leds, that's my understanding after reading the information sheet(PDF)
News of this projector was posted here earlier this fall, and I've been waiting for someone to give a review. I don't think 500 lumens is enough, but the size of this thing blows me away!
It's a start a least.

I recently bought a new projector at work, ended up with a Infocus LP600, 2000 Ansi Lumen/DLP, and I'm quite happy with it.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep - it uses seperate Red, Green and Blue LEDs - means they don't have to worry about the Luxeon Lottery.

My dad got hold of one of these (demo unit, we gotta return it next friday).

They are pretty bright, but let's say it's a good thing i have blockout blinds in my room :p

--neg

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats cool! i see it now Pocket Video Projector Ipod Video Docking Station! lol

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Never underestimate the breadth of the iPod accessory market... If some marketing guy thinks it will sell, it gets made.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
my phillips 50 watt dl50 bulb produces about 106 lumens per watt.

are led's even hitting 50 lumens/watt ?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
LEDs are up to 70lm/watt, but those parts aren't out in significant numbers yet. What we can have is mx. about 50lm/watt I think.
But it won't be long until HID is history, too :devil: :D
bernie

idleprocess

Flashaholic
markdi said:
my phillips 50 watt dl50 bulb produces about 106 lumens per watt.

are led's even hitting 50 lumens/watt ?

HID economy doesn't survive downscaling. The smallest HID bulbs are 10W, and those can have a number of lifespan and quality issues. They are less efficient than 35W/50W and even 24W bulbs. Also, there's the issue of high-voltage ballasts and their effects on DC power supplies.

HID is not a good choice for such a small application.

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
R and S-bin 1-watters are near that mark as are U-bin 3-watters when underdriven as well as X-bin 5-watters.
bk