HELP I need some advice!

austind_05

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,

Here's my problem: I'm a ranchhand, and on the ranch I work at, we have a mountain lion problem. It looks like only one or two, but they keep climbing the fence and getting into the pastures. I'd shoot'em, but they're endangered species in my area or some poop like that, so I can't. Anyways, the reason I'm here telling you all this is that I thought maybe I could use some sort of flashlight to scare them off. It would have to be something I could hold in one hand (I don't care how endangered they are, if I'm gonna be out there with them, I'm bringin a gun, period.) But I don't have any pity for these things. If theres something out there that can turn their retinas to jelly and fry their faces, I'm in. So, I guess my question is, "What's the brightest flashlight I can hold in one hand?"

Also, I'm completely new to this, as you've probably already guessed. So, please make sure what you're saying is in terms a layman like me can understand.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt the light will scare them off but you would want to be VERY far away or in the house/barn aiming from the loft/window just to try it out and see if it works. You're one lucky person to even get to see these elusive animals.

Anyway, I'd say get a cheap Thor from Costco. $25 and it will be the brightest longest throwing light you can buy for the money [period]

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stay armed, get a couple of dogs trained to work together and for God's sake don't go out alone at dusk (when they are most active).

onlinewarlord

Newly Enlightened
Blanks fired from a 12 gauge shotgun would probably get their attention.
*mount a light on the gun for CPF sake :)

Last edited:

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a ranch hand, I'm assuming you're tough and strong, so there probably are a lot of lights you can hold in one hand...like the heavy Acro x990. The problem is, I don't know if you want to spend like $400 on a light, albeit a rechargeable one.

My first pick actually would be the SureFire M6. It is very "small" considering how much light it puts out. Down side again is price, which is about $300-$400 (as best as I recall), unless you can get a deal for a used one. The other down side is that it takes six CR123 batteries for "only" one hour of bright light, or 20 minutes of very bright light. CR123 batteries cost about $5-$8 per battery in retail stores. You can get batteries directly from SureFire for $1.25 each in packs of 12. As an alternative, I believe there is a thread on this board offering a rechargeable battery pack for this light.

There are a whole bunch of other lights out there, but these are the only two that I have experience with. I'm sure a lot of other CPF members will chime in with their own superior experiences/knowledge.

Caveat: I know absolutely nothing about wildlife, so I don't know if either of the lights I mentioned would suit your intended use. But keep in mind that flashlights are good for many other tasks as well.

Just an opinion, and worth every penny you're paying for it...

austind_05

Newly Enlightened
To zespectre:

don't worry, we have a few litters of Pyrenees, and a doberman. No way in hell I'd go out there without at least one of them. Preferably 2 or three. But dogs'll kill them if they get the chance, and again, It's not worth the hell I'd get from the owner of the ranch to kill it.

To onlinewarlord:

Good idea, problem with it is they'll run away, but they won't STAY away. I was hoping that (with a flashlight worty of the task) they'd be in a world of hurt for a few seconds, especially because feline eyes are incredibly dark-adapted. Pain provides one helluva learning curve.

To everyone else, thanks, I'll look into all of those. For future posters, I forgot to clarify on the money subject. This is going as a ranch expense, so I'm not actually paying anything for it, the owner is (and he's one of those people who can afford, well, a ranch!)

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've shined my lights at cats in the neighborhood and it didn't seem to bother them one bit. So I wouldn't waste my money on an expensive light until I tested it out with a cheap one like the Powerful Thor or the Thor HiD for even more punch but still inexpensive.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
austind_05 said: "...my question is, "What's the brightest flashlight I can hold in one hand?"..."

It depends on how strong you and your bank account are.

I also assume you'll need very long "throw", not just a bright wide beam light.

By far the cheapest solution is a spotlight. They're not light but the smaller ones can be carried single handed. Also many have a shoulder strap. You can find these at most stores, inc'l Target, Wal-Mart, etc.

You can make or buy a modified D-cell Mag-Lite. They're not too expensive, maybe $50 plus the Mag. One is called Mag85. Search on that for more details.

If you want a true flashlight style, by far the brightest is a HID (High Intensity Discharge) light. They're several hundred $. Search/post in the HID forum for more info. Here's one example:

http://www.brightstar-hid.com/product_info_e.php?UID=775

CLHC

Flashaholic
Something along what CromagNet said. . .I believe that cats in general including "BIG" cats, have some sort of infrared+thermal vision capabilities. Of course I stand to be corrected. Reason is like what CromagNet said. I too flashed my SF.M6 with HOLA at the neighborhoods cats around here and they just look at it without even flinching. . .

Maybe what was recommended by making a loud noise such as that firing of blanks or Zingers if I remember that explosive distracting devices used for wildlife.

luigi

Enlightened
Go to a zoo and get some Lion excrements, then spread them over your fence and posts. The odor for another cat will be so strong that I doubt they will dare enter your territory. If this works then send me a gift if it doesn't you can try something else.

MoonRise

Enlightened
If you're close enough to Taser a mountain lion and NEED to, I think your plan is FUBAR. At that range, I'd say 12 ga with 00 buck.

A light by itself really won't make wildlife leave the area, except for maybe a short while. Food, water, shelter. Change those parameters and you make the critter decide to go somewhere else. To encourage them to leave and not return, you'll probably have to do some aversive conditioning. Dogs chasing the cats through the pastures might convince the lions to pick better pastures. :grin2:

If the lions are climbing a fence, why don't you just run a hot wire on top of or across the existing fence? Self-contained solar-recharged fence controller, some wire, some stand-offs, and you're set.

To light 'em up, try a Thor for ~$25-$20. Or move up to a HID spotlight.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
luigi said:
Go to a zoo and get some Lion excrements, then spread them over your fence and posts. The odor for another cat will be so strong that I doubt they will dare enter your territory. If this works then send me a gift if it doesn't you can try something else.
Holy CRAP! That idea is so wacky it just might work! I wonder what you would send him :grin:

PS If you're close enough to taser a mtn lion you probably wouldn't even see him coming. Even a gun wont help if you don't see 'em. We have them here where I live in the town of "LOS GATOS" CA. My wife has done a lot of research as she didn't feel confortable hiking in the area so we asked on of the park rangers. "I've never seen one" he said. "It's like winning a lottery" "You'd be very lucky" So "I" believed him but she didn't. Sure enough, as my wife usually is right (sheesh) somone gets mauled by a mtn lion and it's all over the news. :bummer:

Here's a recent thread about the Thor and there are a lot more.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/99592

Last edited: