bed & breakfast & blackout

residue

Newly Enlightened
we visited a bed and breakfast in stockton, new jersey over the thanksgiving weekend...

after we checked into our room, i noticed a flashlight in the drawer and figured that perhaps the area was susceptible to power outages. it reminded me of the pelican line but i didn't look very carefully. all i recall is that it was plastic, had a side button and the expected orange beam. still, i was impressed that the inn provided anything at all.

the next evening, the girlfriend misplaced a hair band. normally, this wouldn't be a big deal but she keeps losing them and it was her last one. it only took a few seconds to locate it under the clock radio with the surefire l5 that i brought along.

for dinner, we visited a local italian restaurant in neighboring lambertville. good prices and big portions. for dessert, we ordered a yummy bread pudding with orange brandy sauce and were enjoying it until the lights went out. a couple emergency wall lights went on in the dining room but the rest of the place was dark except for the small candle on each table.

for the next 10 minutes, we watched as staff shuttled from the bar to the pitch black kitchen area in confusion. after a while, one of them produced what appeared to be a 3c m*g. a few customers took candles with them to the restroom. at about this point, i began to lament leaving the surefire at the inn. all i had was the photon freedom attached to my car keys :(

after we finished our dessert and paid the bill, my girlfriend handed me the ls modded arc aaa that i made her carry after the big blackout of 2003. stepping outside, we noticed that the surrounding streets also lost power and there were a number of people milling about. as soon as i turned on the arc, a woman entering the restaurant remarked, "well, some people are prepared!"

the walk to the car was uneventful. the small arc aaa ls was the brightest light on the street except for the cars. we saw a few kids with 2d plastic lights and firemen out directing people away from some buildings. a few blocks away, the power was all on and the excitement was over.

note to self: remember to bring brighter edc at all times

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Why do you need a brighter edc, if the Arc did the job? And why did you use your Photon Freedom, which is about as bright as the Arc?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
residue, that is soooo sad!

What just happened to you is every flashaholics nightmare. If my wife bailed me out with the Arc AAA I nag her to carry I would never hear the end of it.

At least you didn't have to resort to using the table candle.

Now you have to get a decent pocketlight! I don't envy you man. There are just too many cool options out there. What too choose? What too choose?...

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
Sometimes it's not so good to be prepared with a flashlight...

Bed & Breakfast + Girlfriend + Blackout = :kiss: :naughty: :devil:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
As many of you know I went to savannah and stayed at a B&B and got engaged 3 weeks ago.

I brought my Mag 85 HAIII, SF U2, Lioncub w/ lionhead, SF L4, Hds U60 XRGT, and RR lantern. :naughty:

When we went out at night I carried the U2 and the U60, dang I wish the power would have went out!!!

I put all these lights on the mantle of the fire place in our room, I had to move a fancy vase to make room for my lights. :rock:

We had a jacuzzi in the room to, kinda made me wished I brought my Eternalight so I could strobe underwater!! Maybe next time.

-PSM

residue

Newly Enlightened
paulr said:
Why do you need a brighter edc, if the Arc did the job? And why did you use your Photon Freedom, which is about as bright as the Arc?
the arc was modded by led_asap and has an ls. much brighter than the photon but the beam is a flood and couldn't project down the street. would have much preferred the l5, orb raw or even the arc lshp (the u2 has been sitting at surefire for several months until they get a supply of leds).

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it would have been nice to pull out the L5 as a photon cannon at these times.. sometimes you really do want all the light you can get!

That's why I EDC a U2 (very similar to the L5 - except that you get six levels, but the beams are mostly the same thing). For those who want all of the power in a smaller formfactor, the L4 is a great light to do the job.

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
PoliceScannerMan:

You are one hardcore dude.

What'd your girl think of the collection of lights on the mantle?

And I thought my carrying two lights on my person and one in my duffel and one in my shave kit was a little on the overkill side while traveling. (Of course, there are a dozen or more in the car outside!).

I once left a nice flashlight in a hotel room after I checked out. Got it back two weeks later. That's why I don't take into a hotel room more than one more than grown man really expects to use. (Ditto for guns). That and the potentioal for theft from the room factor.

John

Babo

Newly Enlightened
First time I've ever seen the word "yummy" written
by a guy.:thinking: