How does this compare to Fenix??

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't. Haha... kidding!

I don't have one but just generally speaking, TerraLux advertised lumens are usually also greatly inflated. A Fenix gets 25 out of th advertised 46. If the Chromestar is 25 lumens inflated, then erm.........

Just my worthless 2 cents... :D

hsjrev

Newly Enlightened
According to flashlightreviews.com:

Chromestar - overall output=5.40, throw=7.68

L1P - overall output=18.00, throw=25.50

According to the explanation on his site, multiply the overall output by 1.43 to get approximate lumens. so...

Chromestar - 7.72 lumens
L1P - 25.74 lumens

Last edited:

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have one, but I remember some things about the Chromestar when it came out.

According to reports, it has a nice finish and build. It only puts out the light of a typical 5mm light, but with better tint and has a very long runtime.

That's it for the niceties- compared to the Fenix, it's very, very dim. The most important "flaw" IMHO, however, is the lack of a protective lense covering the LED. While this setup is fine for 5mm LEDs which are made of solid, hard epoxy, Luxeons have a fragile, thin plastic dome surrounding liquid silicone. If something bumps that exposed LED, it's done for.

Big Bob

Newly Enlightened
Basically what the other guys said, but look at the bright side (no pun intended), with that nice big lanyard hole, it could be used as a very purdy Christmas tree ornament :laughing: .