Need recommendation for dual power flashlight

Jagged

Newly Enlightened
I am planning to purchase a small EDC type flashlight.

After some recent experience with a couple (one not bright enough for many things, but lasts long and another that is brighter than needed most of time and sucks batteries), I'm thinking a dual power one might be best (low light for normal use, bright for when needed). I'm prepared to spend up to about $120 US. I'd prefer it not be too large (i.e. keep on belt without looking stupid at office or getting in the way on farm).

Any recommendations for which light, which options, and where to get?

Somy Nex

Enlightened
I think a HDS EDC 40 (or possibly a higher end version) can be had for around $120 from various stores, or on B/S/T here.

a novel idea is an Orb RAW (the 3 watt version) with a two-stage switch :D extremely small, extremely bright, but ships from the UK.

going cheaper, maybe a Nuwai QIII with a 2-stage switch mod might be good too.

all 3 suggested above run (or can run) on rechargeables i believe. the HDS & QIII on RCR123s, the RAW on RCR2s...

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
I'm thinking of the new JIL CR2 light with the FLUPIC engine for $110.00.:)
Does anyone know how waterproof the JIL lights are?

kukula

Enlightened
Welcome to the forums jagged.

For $70 more, you can get the best, dual stage, fully regulated, solidly built, beautiful light light in the market today. The McLux III PD. Theres one at BST now for $190. I am sure you will love this light. :rock:

Luxman

Enlightened
I also vote for the HDS Basic 42.
I have the Ultimate 60 and its a Great light. Excellent quality, small size and 4 levels of intensity can give you the proper proportion of intensity/runtime depending on your applications.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Cost is a little more, but you can take a look at the SureFire L2 which an excellently built flashlight. You can check out OpticsHQ<dot>Com and they have CPF discounts. Just enter the CPF COUPON CODE found in the Group Buys and Passarounds section here in CPF. It's under the SureFire U2 and Other started by TurboDog, I think.

Another alter-native is this Fenix LED that is can be had with 2-stage lighting. I think 4Sevens has this particular thread. Besides, from what I am reading looks like the Fenix is a well built overall pocket light at a very good price. And with the amount that you're looking to spend you probably could buy three (3) of them!

Anyhou, Welcome to CPF and hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!
There are now quite a few vendors offering lower prices to CPF members (click on the "CPF Specials" link on my sigline). Once you've decided what light you'll get, please take a moment to check their sites to see if you can save a few bucks.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several of the Nuwai lights are available, most notably the Lux III and Lux V 'big Q3 lights' are a good value if they aren't too long.

I love my Q3 though I don't carry it much anymore. It has a TW0J star (which should be brighter and probably whiter than most stock Q3s) and a 2 stage clickie. I liked it in primary 123s and like it even more on R123 cells. The low becomes very usable, even outdoors if you don't need much throw. I've never done a runtime test on low with an R123 but I'd guess it would be well over 2 hours. The Q3 on a primary gets a little over one hour, or about 42 min on an MP R123.

For a few $$$ more, you could possibly get into a Surefire L4 and add a 2 stage tail. If you need more flood and decent, but not spectacular throw, I think this would be DAMN hard to beat.

As much as I hate to admit it, I've never handled any of the HDS lights.
str.gif