River Rock 2AA

igabo

Enlightened
Just came back from Target, and I was wondering, does anyone have the 1.5 watt Nichia LED 2AA River Rock? Seeing as how the 2AAA .5w RR was quite good, I was wondering if the same was for the 2AA 1.5w?

So please, if you have one, post your experiences with it.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
They just had to do a moonbeam (my least favorite type of beam) on the 2AA and 2C. All "throw" and no spill.

I got one when I could not find an Inova 2AA with a decent beam. Mine is rather blueish and I don't use it much.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the machining and finish work on the 2AA (and the 2C) is very nice, I think the 2xAAA much, much better and more useful light overall.

InfidelCastro

Banned
I like my 2C. It lights up the backyard just fine. It's a hair more powerful than the 2AA. Mostly because of the slightly larger reflector as I found the other day.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I returned the River Rock 2C 1.5 watter to Target after getting a Streamlight 4AA Luxeon. The River Rock 2C's beam was too narrow for my walks in the dark and it had a blue tint compared with the SL 4AA Luxeon for about the same price.

The SL 4AA Luxeon permits me to discern details better at greater distances, too.

The RR's rubber pushbutton was too small to press while wearing padded gloves. That said, the River Rock's construction felt pretty solid.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't care much for ChinaLights but I've bought some recently to check them out.

Yes, picture of the full moon on the wall not my favorite beam. However, I'll say something good about this one.

Some associates asked me to recommend a light for a specific use. One of the things these guys do is building inspection. They needed a light to see in ceilings and are looking for architectural elements. They needed a light that could project into small spaces. It had to be about mini-mag size. It had to take AAs because that's what they are provided. They did not like having to buy bulbs all the time and went through batteries like me eating peeled crawfish.

I brought them several LED lights to check out. Customs and ChinaLights. I then explained regulation and runtime charts then showed a couple of them flashlightreviews zspectre mentioned. Showed them the Aurora light review and told them I was pretty sure that was the exact some thing as the RR 2AA. One of them looked up the mini-mag chart that I'd never seen before and happily it was about what I had described.

I handed them all some lights but had given the lead man the RR AA. He liked it immediately. Up goes the ceiling tile in an office and the lights go out. They know what they are looking for and don't need side spill. As a matter of fact the lead man was pleased that he could point with it. tvman, another CPFer, heard the sound of photons and he showed up. He actually EDCs multiple lights so he could show them even more lights. I was a little surprised that a couple of them had already gone and bought some LED lights and they were used in the comparison. One of them said he thought SureFires would be the way to go but would not fit the budget. Then another guy from another department showed them an E2D. It was a flashlight party!

These guys are sharp dudes and catch on quick. They were doing white beam shot comparisons intuitively. The Raw got some wows but run-time and battery type nixed it. They thought the Tri-Lux was nuts but way too big. The lead man got the first light he'd been issued, a cheap AA, and fired it up. He and everyone else gave an :awman: . I pulled out my Bic lighter and lit it next to his light. Not much difference. Then I said, "One candle power." Got a bit of a laugh for that line. It gets better. They started talking about regulation and run time. The lead guy gets the used AAs out of his mini-mag and put them in the RiverRock AA. No perceptible difference to new batteries.

To help selling the idea to the decision-makers and holder of the purse strings I mentioned two terms that sat well with the lead man and his crew. Safety and Cost Recovery.

Armed with this information this fellow made his pitch and got a "go" on the deal. He went to Target and snagged 8 of them for his team.

So, even though I'm snobbish about nice flashlights, this light literally fit the bill and the purpose. They will be able to do some functions with much more ease, they will be safer and they will save money on batteries and bulbs. I believe they are going to enjoy these tools.

Please add 8 more flashaholics to the ever-growing list.

-----------------

- Jeff

InfidelCastro

Banned
That is a great story! The River Rock 2AA DEFINATELY fits the bill about perfectly for that nitch. Now all they need are some rechargers to save even more money on batteries.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, greenlight. It was a lot of fun.

InfidelCastro -

Exactly. Here's my plan. Let them prove cost recovery which is a big thing in this industry. Then explain cost recovery on rechargeables. Maybe bring them a smart box to use for a while. This way they only have to ask for batteries once every year or so. I would like to see one on each of their desks. $38.00 up front cost for a smart box and 4 good batteries that is recovered in one year then continues at a higher rate of return the following year.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Now just get them a recharger that recharges "disposable" AA's like the Supercharger or Battery X-tender and you're set. :D

10mmWiseman

Newly Enlightened
I've had my 2AA RR for about 4 days now and I like it. It is about as powerful as it's 2C brother but not near as thick as heavy. I have been using mine at work to replace my Mini-Mag and it even carries in a MM holster.

joecandlepower

Newly Enlightened
I just got a RR 2aa today.
I haven't been on the forums for awhile and remember hearing about River Rock, and not remembering which one, I made an impulse buy at the Target in San Dimas.
Now after reviewing the forums, I know the 2xAAA is the hot one, but I actually do like this 2xAA light.
I know some don't like the tight beam but I find it sufficient and fairly bright. Nice perfect moon as some put it.

I haven't bought a light for awhile, so it felt good to get my Flashaholic fix.

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
I got a RR AA a few months ago. I wasn't thrilled with the spot beam and I tried to carry it in my coat pocket for a while, but just couldn't warm up to it.
I relegated it to the "at least it wasn't too much to spend" file and left it alone. I recently found a new life for my RR AA.

A few days ago I was in my local uniform and police supply store. I saw little traffic wands for minimag flashlights. The wands were never that great for the minimags limited light. I picked one up though, figuring I could find something in my collection to make it useable. After looking throught the collection, I settled on the RR AA. I rotary tooled the opening enough to let it fit snugly over the head on the notched section. I must say I am pleased with it for a small traffic wand. The run time and brightness of the wand are good. The spot beam helps as the end of the wand is open, and lets you get the attention of motorists who have stopped and need to be brought back to watching you direct them rather than looking at the accident or reason for the traffic direction.

I can finally say I am pleased with the RR AA purchase.