Reasons to love LED??

wuyeah

Enlightened
Hi, I am a newbie and already ended up with 5 Lights. A2, M2, M3 & Mag 4D 6D. I was surprise that i already got so many lights.(more than i need). I have trying to adjust myself to get a LED. Just for the sak of having a LED. But it is more hard than I though.

Most talk about is L2 & U2
L2..similar size to A2. Although on paper says 100 lux. but after trying out in the store. I really don't think L2 is brighter than A2. Which...i can't a just myself to spend that $150

U2..the size is hardly a EDC. compares to A2....still i can't adjust to spend 250 on it.

So far for me, I havn't find a LED light I just love and must have it.
That is why I ask this question, in LED thread. What exactly you love about LED than Incand that i should know?? What light made you feel, LED is future of light. As far as I see, LED is far away from "future of light" they can't even get around Incand.

Please try to convert me.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
wuyeah said:
What exactly you love about LED than Incand that i should know?? ...

I don't feel like I am using up a precious resource when running an LED light and I don't have to baby it because:

1) Batteries last longer.

2) No worries about burning LEDs out in a properly designed circuit. Incandescent bulbs normally burn out.

3) LED bulbs are physically robust. No worries about breaking them when you drop an LED flashlight.

TorchMan

Enlightened
What I love about LEDs is the adjustable output level. Bright light when you need it (though not as bright as the brightest incans, it'll do nicely most times) and extra long run time on the low levels. Plus, there is something to be said for having lower light for not disturbing others, or burning one's own retinas. Since you have an A2, you've experienced some of this. Most Luxeons are much whiter than the A2s white LEDs when they (Luxs) are dimmed. I'm also a fan of their color for most thing, the beam just looks so much whiter than even the regulated A2. I still think the warmer incan has some advantage in color rendering and 3D outdoors though.

Some would extoll the virtues of longer lamp life for an LED, but I'm not sure of how big a factor that really is. I've replaced bulbs in the MiniMag and larger Maglites, but that's about it.

I think LEDs might have an advantage when it comes to really small and bright. For example, the Orb Raw. Don't know of any incans than can match it for size and power. Maybe some will tell otherwise.

LEDs are thought to be the future because they are improving. They will probably become much more efficient, and give even better color rendition.

pr5owner

Newly Enlightened
leds maybe on the way out to make way for organic leds, brighter, less power, more colors! (and maybe longer life when they are in full production)

anywho leds are great, my kitchen light draws 10W instead of 300 :)

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pure white light that stays white even if the light is not regulated and dims when batteries are dead. Will still light up and produce useable light for a LONG time.

wuyeah

Enlightened
I have admit.....LED is really White. Most incand are Yellowish.

Love to read those answers. Keep them coming!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
True. But even with white leds that have tints and aren't pure white, when next to an incandescent, you'll think the led is snow white. The beam on LED's is nice and smooth too, and even. No distracting artifacts. Talking about luxeons here too btw.

Skyclad01

Enlightened
Reasons I love LED lights

(in no order)
1. I love the smooth beam and wide spill without loss of the hotspot. :rock:

2. Much better battery runtime than incans.:nana:

3. (near) Forever lasting bulb.:wow:

4. Such a better color.:twothumbs

lamperich

Enlightened
for now LED torchs are great for MiniMag and 2D Replacements´s

There are already really great and >never before possible< Torchs out there like HDS and the U2 and these Constum manufacturs.
unfortunately they are very high pricey due to low quanity and special features etc.
one of the big issues for mass market.

Surefire U2 is one of my favorite. Such a torch is´nt possible with a Hotwire.

the L2 is the SF with Luxeon5 and wide beam pattern with only 500 or 1000 Lux@ one meter i think.

Excatly that´s why Quickbeam(flashlightreview) takes 2 different Lux measurement.
first lux @ one meter
and the other Lux in a selfmade IS to simulate Lumen measurement.(overall)

in my eyes main benefit for now is the reason number 3 Skyclad01 mentioned.

there was a day in lampe´s life when 2 hotwires dies at the same day...
and I said bye bye 2D maglite..

This kind of torch is replaced but your torchs especially 6D and M3 aren´t replaced jet as already mentioned.

see the Led´s not as a replacement for Hotwires(at least for now) see them as new solutions like the sweet little fenix or the Arc AAA the U2 etc.
It´s also a nice hobby for all out there which already have nearly everything.

I won´t switch back to (low wattage) Bulbs like the Minimag or 2D mag anymore.

Last edited: