Cleaning flashlight lens?

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
How should I clean the lenses on my flashlights? I don't want to scratch them, but it would be nice to clean them up and get the dust off of them. Is windex or other glass cleaner good? What do I need to know?

CLHC

Flashaholic
You can use those lens cleaning pens that can be had at your local camera shop. It comes with a "camel" hair at one end that you can use to gently brush off dust before using a lens cleaner. Microfiber such as found at sunglass or optical dispensing places, Walmart or Costco carries them to. I also use a blower that bulb type you squeeze to start off with. See Clear, Wipe 'N Clear is what I also use.

You'd want to treat your flashlight lens they way you would treat high optics found on cameras and telescopes. But on these, refrain from even ever touching them in the first place.

Hope you find what you're asking for and Enjoy!

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
CHC said:
Microfiber such as found at sunglass or optical dispensing places, Walmart or Costco carries them...

Are you referring to a microfiber glasses cloth? If so, that is ok to wipe the lense with?

CLHC

Flashaholic
pfmedic said:
Are you referring to a microfiber glasses cloth? If so, that is ok to wipe the lense with?

Yes I have been using this. The lens looks fine. Also its interesting to know that when you purchase and eyeglass or sunglass even if it's the expensive ones, they'll use this microfiber to clean it for you.

Maybe someone else here who knows more about optics and the like may suggest otherwise, I don't know.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Microfiber is a great cleaning tool, but try to be sure that there's no fine grit on the lens before you use it. Blow on the lens and/or use a lens brush first so you don't grind any grit into the lens. Windex is fine if you want to use a wet cleaner, but don't use too much. It's best to wet a cotton swab and rub gently.