Surefire U2 vs. Fenix L1P!

Xe54

Enlightened
Hi:

U2 arrived today from BatteryStation; I asked them to send it with 10 Sanyo CR123 instead of BatteryStation CR123 out of paranoia after reading about exploding CR123s in another forum.

I've had the Fenix for a few days already. It is now my EDC pocket light.

Here are my strange impressions:

Considering that U2 costs almost 6x the L1p, the Fenix actually makes me have more of a sense of satisfaction for what I got for the price. :huh: I already have a bunch of Pelican 3W LEDs at work, and an LedWave X-33 3W at home, which are bright lights. So the U2's 80 lumens vs. the 45 or so from these other lights is a nice improvement, but not enough to blow me away. Also, the U2 doesn't throw like the M6 3W LED either. Though, the M6 can be a little too tight for many purposes, whereas the throw/flood balance of the U2 is a bit more well balanced.

Nonetheless, the brightness adjustment of the U2 and ability to light momentarily with a partial button press is great, and far superior to my X-33's operation. I think I will actually wind up enjoying the lower light settings of the U2 more than the max.

My U2 has a very slight "donut hole". But I think this isn't an accurate description. The light's reflector is to some degree imaging the large square emitter. So it doesn't produce as smooth of a transition from the central hotspot to the spill region of the output. When looking at the spot at various distances, there are some distances at which the bonding wires and the seams between the emitters actually produce visible artifacts in the beam. Mind you, these are all VERY SUBTLE observations, and really are nothing to fuss about. :thinking: My point is that I think the perceived donut hole that people notice is a spatial transform (physical optics) effect caused by the bond wires and seams between the dice. My U2's color is very nice.

Overall, I think the light is great, but just too expensive for what you get. For this kind of money I'd like to see a solid 120 lumens and an adjustable focus system with at least 50% better throw at optimal focus, as well as the brightness adjustment. I am happy with the light overall though. I won't be returning or selling it. But it should be priced at about $199-$229 max.

Now to the Fenix.

I am floored by this light. It is the coolest toy I've gotten my hands on in years. It simply kicks butt :wow: , for the size, the price, and the fact that it's plain only 1xAA. Of course, I will be packing it with e2 Lithium or NiMH.

It is small enough that I hardly notice it's addition to my key pocket. And bright enough that it's perfectly adequate for inspection tasks in dark corners of machinery in a well lit room. In the dark it is plenty bright.

Now I just have to decide if I want to buy 4 more of them to send one to each of my moms, give one to my wife, and have a spare.

Love Fenix L1p!!!

I just hope the switch lasts a long time because I turn the thing on many times a day just to gloat over how cool it is.

Now I am waiting for only one more light, the ARC AAAp. Once that arrives I will put my collection on display here on the forum.

It's getting late... :sleepy:

Cheers!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll love the output from the arcAAAp. It's really amazing for a single 5mm led. Put it on your keychain and you'll always have light. The Fenix and Arc are my EDC. Great combo.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bang for the buck.. delivered :D

I like both. Love the U2 for maximum power output and the L1 for extreme value.

Bradlee

Enlightened
Xe54 (or anyone with both lights :)),

I know it may not be an easy comparison, but could the L1P be equated to any of the U2's output levels? I'm waiting for one to arrive as a Christmas gift for my sister, and am really curious what the actual (not manufacturer claimed, that is) brightness is.

Thanks,
-Brad

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xe54 said: "...the U2's 80 lumens vs. the 45 or so from these other lights is a nice improvement, but not enough to blow me away...I'd like to see a solid 120 lumens..."

Many U2s output more than 80 lumens. Using a lux meter to measure ceiling and wall reflection of my U2 vs my HDS U60 (supposedly calibrated to 60 lumens), my U2 is at least twice the U60 output. Superficially that indicates 120 lumens.

As you said the U2 isn't a super thrower. One reason is it diverts a lot of output to the spillbeam, leaving less for the hotspot. The hotspot beam angle is actually pretty narrow, about six degrees. But they siphoned off a lot of power for the spillbeam.

In general that was a good decision as it still throws pretty well, and at close range it's almost a super flood. So it has the best characteristics of a flood and spot, but at the cost of ultimate throw.

My guess is if you did a similar lux reflection test between your U2 and supposedly 46 lumen L1P, the U2 would output about 3x or 4x as much. The Flashlightreviews.com test showed the L1P actually outputs about 26 lumens.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
You'll love the output from the arcAAAp. It's really amazing for a single 5mm led. Put it on your keychain and you'll always have light. The Fenix and Arc are my EDC. Great combo.

I must 'ditto' what Isaac said. The output from the Arc AAA Premium is simply amazing! I had an original Arc AAA (back in the day) and these new ones are MUCH brighter! I've never had such side spill from the use of one 5mm LED!

But I see I'm hijacking this thread. :eek:

hsjrev

Newly Enlightened
Xe54 said:
Hi:

I just hope the switch lasts a long time because I turn the thing on many times a day just to gloat over how cool it is.

Glad I'm not the only one. My wife just shakes her head and walks away.

Luna

Enlightened
Xe54 said:
But it should be priced at about $199-$229 max.

Once you start using the U2 with 18650s then extra 50 or so that some pay (I got mine early at $225) is quickly understood.

This is a light that you will use a lot more than you think once you stop worrying about the cost of 123s. That make sthe light ver economical in the long run. Everyone tends to think of flashlight cost as being the purchase price whereas I take into account the operational costs as well.

Luna

Enlightened
hsjrev said:
Glad I'm not the only one. My wife just shakes her head and walks away.

Seems to be something in common with wives that live in the memphis metro (bartlett here)

Lightoleum

Newly Enlightened
I once described my TW4 as 'small enough, light enough, bright enough', kind of a sweet spot for EDC, and I did for a long time, with an ARC AAA-le. Although the L1P is hardly the amazing flood the TW4 is, I think it's even more in that 'good enough' sweet spot for casual EDC, and I rarely even think to carry my AAAp as backup. I still like the SF clicky better, but that's not even a gripe.

I think I'd agree re U2 pricing. I just got a new one on eBay for $205, which I thought was pretty reasonable, given SF quality and support, and U2 features. I especially had in mind the 18650, which is a whole 'nother kind of sweet spot. Ordered some from BatterySpace, and a DSD charger from Lighthound (with some smaller rechargables for my other lights). Who doesn't want a long-life, multi-level, tactical rechargable light? But I doubt the L1P will ever leave my side.

Xe54

Enlightened
joema said:
Xe54 said: "...the U2's 80 lumens vs. the 45 or so from these other lights is a nice improvement, but not enough to blow me away...I'd like to see a solid 120 lumens..."

Many U2s output more than 80 lumens. Using a lux meter to measure ceiling and wall reflection of my U2 vs my HDS U60 (supposedly calibrated to 60 lumens), my U2 is at least twice the U60 output. Superficially that indicates 120 lumens.

I hope mine is similar, when I get some measuring equipment. Certainly U2 is powerful, and easily doubles my X-33.

[snip]
My guess is if you did a similar lux reflection test between your U2 and supposedly 46 lumen L1P, the U2 would output about 3x or 4x as much. The Flashlightreviews.com test showed the L1P actually outputs about 26 lumens.

I have no doubt that the L1p does not put out 46 lumens. I have been guessing it to be about half that as well, just by comparing to my X-33.

Xe54

Enlightened
Bradlee said:

I know it may not be an easy comparison, but could the L1P be equated to any of the U2's output levels? I'm waiting for one to arrive as a Christmas gift for my sister, and am really curious what the actual (not manufacturer claimed, that is) brightness is.

Thanks,
-Brad

A very nice gift indeed!

The L1p appears to me to be the same as the U2 on the '3' setting (counting setting '1' to be the max). The data here:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_u2.htm

and here:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1p.htm

show that this really is a very close match. Of course, the U2 can run 5 hrs though at this level. But then again, the L1p uses a cheap AA!

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait till you get the L2P then. :D

CEJ said:
fenixl2017aq.jpg

L2P (Premium Model) Features:

Employing 1-watt 100,000-hour R bin Luxeon LED, no need for fragile bulb
Constant brightness: 46 Lumens
Two 1.5V AA batteries , cheap and easily available
4-hour full brightness with Ni-MH battery
5.58" (L) x 0.79" (D)
Made of aerospace grade aluminum
Type III hard anodized finish, highly durable
69-gram weight
Waterproof
Toughened ultra Clear Lens with special coating
Push-button tail cap switch, it can also serve as a twist switch
Capable of standing up firmly on desk, serving as candle
Colour: Black
Accessories(include) : Belt Pouch, Lanyard, Extra O-Rings, Spare tailcap boot.

Price: USD 46.50 excluding shipping & handling

l2pholster7ss.jpg

l1pvsl2p2km.jpg

Last edited:

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Bradlee said:

Thanks,
-Brad

When I did the runtime plot on the L1P v2.5 using a Li battery, I got a starting output of 435Fc@1Ft = 435 LUX@1M. I have no idea how these numbers would relate to Lumens. The runtime plots can be found in the "Reports Forum".

Bradlee

Enlightened