• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired DSD Charger Adaptor upgrade

AtomSphere

Enlightened
Just asking around. Will You be intrested in purchasing this power adaptor at USD25 with shipping? I am thinking if quite a handful of people are intrested in this product, i'll start to sell it.

Adaptor%20(1).JPG

Adaptor.JPG

Features :
-Compatible with 100V or 240V
-Wide Output Range: 3V,5V,6V,9V,12V,15V
-800mA continuous loading
-Regulated Output Power
-Short circuit Protection

Pros:
-Very well done short circuit Protection (tested)
-Regulated
-800mA is charging a R123 800mAH at 1C and not charging it too fast
-Faster charging compaired to the stock DSD adaptor at 5.5v at 350mA

Cons:
-The adaptor plugs that came with it(the thing you plug into the DSD) are a little long and you must adjust it to give good contact. Works without problem after achieving the correct position which is easily acieved

Recommended voltage : 5 Volts

Your views are most welcomed

Last edited:

MSI

Enlightened
Please downsize your pictures or put them on top of eachother instead.

Pila is coming with a new fast/smart 4-stage charger (3.5 hour charging time) so it may be better to buy that instead of spending $13.5 on a DSD plus $25 on a better PS, just my opinion.

AtomSphere

Enlightened
True. I also feel that its a bit expensive for juz an adaptor... Didn't know pilas are coming out new chargers. 3.5hour is rated at charging what battery?

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think its a great idea!

I dont like the pila chargers much,there are more options with the DSD
and they cost less.
The DSD also takes Pila batteries.
So all one needs is a better adaptor which can be had for ffrom 5 bucks to 25bucks.

Benny

AtomSphere

Enlightened
For me, Pila chargers are charging a 150S (1000mAH) battery at 1.5A. Thats 1.5C! The charging rate is just too fast for that capacity, and i had my 150S only lasting full capacity for 30-40 cycles before the runtime dropped from 55minutes on a 9P to 35minutes. I don't know anything about the upcoming pila smartchargers. Maybe the smart chargers can charge R123? adjustable mA?

I'll try my best to get the adaptor from a cheaper source and reculculate the price. I hope to get the price to 20USD with shipping.

Current pricing is: Charger = 20USD
Shipping = 5USD

Last edited:

MSI

Enlightened
I don't have any more info on the new charger than what I found here.
Thanks for the info on the high charge rate on the Pila charger. I may start to use the DSD charger for small Pila cells.
Btw, is 5V high enough for the DSD charger? I thought the voltage had to be 5.5V, but I guess AW is the best to answer that question.
Maybe it will be cheaper if you can get a +-5.5V 800mAh PS without all the other modes?

AW

Newly Enlightened
Well, I have tried many different power supply units for the DSD charger hoping to find one with a higher rate. It seems the factory 5.5V setting is the optimal voltage for the DSD and a 5.0V supply just wouldn't make it to finish the charge ( the cells will stop charging at around 4.0V ). I have also tried some USB adaptor ( also 5.0V ) and it 's still the same. Too bad a 5.5V power adaptor with a higher rate is very hard to come by. The best I can find is the Nokia cell phone power adaptor ( 5.7V 800mA ) which works quite well. It will charge up the cells to the same level as the OEM power adaptor ( the +0.2V difference doesn't seem to do anything which may in fact been overrided during the final CV mode ).

AW

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found this charger on E-bay.

It does not have 5.5V either,but it can charge at 6V.

Would that be safe on the DSD Charger?

Benny

Last edited:

AtomSphere

Enlightened
AW said:
Well, I have tried many different power supply units for the DSD charger hoping to find one with a higher rate. It seems the factory 5.5V setting is the optimal voltage for the DSD and a 5.0V supply just wouldn't make it to finish the charge ( the cells will stop charging at around 4.0V ). I have also tried some USB adaptor ( also 5.0V ) and it 's still the same. Too bad a 5.5V power adaptor with a higher rate is very hard to come by. The best I can find is the Nokia cell phone power adaptor ( 5.7V 800mA ) which works quite well. It will charge up the cells to the same level as the OEM power adaptor ( the +0.2V difference doesn't seem to do anything which may in fact been overrided during the final CV mode ).

AW

wow. didn't know nokia has that charger. what model isit? i do knowtise the DSD charges the cells to 4.05v to 4.17v randomly.

MorpheusT1 . will the plug head fit the DSD? i tried 6V before, the charger litted up. But dare not charge my batteries with 6V.

Last edited:

AW

Newly Enlightened
The Nokia power adaptor is ACP-12X ( 5.7V 800mA ), another ACP-8X ( 5.3V 500mA ) works well also. They are both for the Nokia 3,6,7,8 series models.

AW

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
AtomSphere said:
For me, Pila chargers are charging a 150S (1000mAH) battery at 1.5A. Thats 1.5C! The charging rate is just too fast for that capacity, and i had my 150S only lasting full capacity for 30-40 cycles before the runtime dropped from 55minutes on a 9P to 35minutes.
Are you referring to the standard charger that comes when you buy a Pila or Wolf Eyes rechargeable light? Or the $30 "smart" chargers (Wolf Eyes CH-02/DH-02 and their Pila equivalents)?

Lightoleum

Newly Enlightened

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good information to know. Will the Nokia plug directly into the charger or is another adapter needed?

Curtis

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW, are you planning on offering the "upgraded" charger as an option with the appropriate Nokia adapter etc for the 800mah charging capacity?

Thanks.

Curtis

AW

Newly Enlightened
Nope, I guess you'll have to buy your own Nokia power adaptor or switch to use a Nokia phone :lolsign:

BTW, AtomSphere, sorry for hijacking your thread.

AW

Last edited:

AtomSphere

Enlightened
LoL.. No problem AW. I don't mind at all.

Your suggestions will better the world of flashaholic.

BTW i tried adjusting the voltage on my adaptor to 6v and the weird thing is that it sometimes got a protection cut-off from the adaptor for 1 second then it resumes charging.
Too high a voltage for charging?

Lightoleum

Newly Enlightened
Finally found the time to test the generic (cheap, $7 shipped) charger upgrade. I was initially a little concerned that it might be unusable, since it was marked 8VDC@600mA. Opened it up, and found your typical DC-DC converter, with a somewhat larger inductor than I found in the 350mA DSD charger. So far, so good.

Measured the unloaded output on my Fluke 87III as a mere 5.9 (vs 6.49 from the DSD). Plugged into the cradle, I measured 5.1 at the terminals (vs 5.4 with the DSD), with no cells inserted. I allowed it to recharge a lightly used 18650 from my U2, which it did in 15-20 minutes. Voltage at the battery terminals after the green light came on was 4.18. Worky doky.

When I've got another chargable cell to test with, I'll have a look at the charge voltage with my scope, since it seemed to be cycling from ~4.1 to ~4.9 volts as it charged. Normal, I suppose.

Charging 2 empty 18650 cells in parallel took approximately forever with the DSD charger. With any luck, the generic Nokia charger will be a little faster, maybe forever/2. :grin2: