Malkoff        

Thread: DSD Charger Adaptor upgrade

Default DSD Charger Adaptor upgrade

Just asking around. Will You be intrested in purchasing this power adaptor at USD25 with shipping? I am thinking if quite a handful of people are intrested in this product, i'll start to sell it.

Features :
    -Compatible with 100V or 240V
    -Wide Output Range: 3V,5V,6V,9V,12V,15V
    -800mA continuous loading
    -Regulated Output Power
    -Short circuit Protection

Pros:
    -Very well done short circuit Protection (tested)
    -Regulated
    -800mA is charging a R123 800mAH at 1C and not charging it too fast
    -Faster charging compaired to the stock DSD adaptor at 5.5v at 350mA

Cons:
    -The adaptor plugs that came with it(the thing you plug into the DSD) are a little long and you must adjust it to give good contact. Works without problem after achieving the correct position which is easily acieved

Recommended voltage : 5 Volts

Your views are most welcomed
    Last edited by AtomSphere; 12-01-2005 at 08:46 AM.

Flashaholic

Default Re: DSD Charger Adaptor upgrade

Please downsize your pictures or put them on top of eachother instead.

Pila is coming with a new fast/smart 4-stage charger (3.5 hour charging time) so it may be better to buy that instead of spending $13.5 on a DSD plus $25 on a better PS, just my opinion.

True. I also feel that its a bit expensive for juz an adaptor... Didn't know pilas are coming out new chargers. 3.5hour is rated at charging what battery?

I think its a great idea!

I dont like the pila chargers much,there are more options with the DSD
    and they cost less.
    The DSD also takes Pila batteries.
    So all one needs is a better adaptor which can be had for ffrom 5 bucks to 25bucks.

Benny

For me, Pila chargers are charging a 150S (1000mAH) battery at 1.5A. Thats 1.5C! The charging rate is just too fast for that capacity, and i had my 150S only lasting full capacity for 30-40 cycles before the runtime dropped from 55minutes on a 9P to 35minutes. I don't know anything about the upcoming pila smartchargers. Maybe the smart chargers can charge R123? adjustable mA?

I'll try my best to get the adaptor from a cheaper source and reculculate the price. I hope to get the price to 20USD with shipping.

Current pricing is: Charger = 20USD
    Shipping = 5USD
    Last edited by AtomSphere; 12-01-2005 at 08:51 AM.

Flashaholic

I don't have any more info on the new charger than what I found here.
    Thanks for the info on the high charge rate on the Pila charger. I may start to use the DSD charger for small Pila cells.
    Btw, is 5V high enough for the DSD charger? I thought the voltage had to be 5.5V, but I guess AW is the best to answer that question.
    Maybe it will be cheaper if you can get a +-5.5V 800mAh PS without all the other modes?

Flashaholic

Well, I have tried many different power supply units for the DSD charger hoping to find one with a higher rate. It seems the factory 5.5V setting is the optimal voltage for the DSD and a 5.0V supply just wouldn't make it to finish the charge ( the cells will stop charging at around 4.0V ). I have also tried some USB adaptor ( also 5.0V ) and it 's still the same. Too bad a 5.5V power adaptor with a higher rate is very hard to come by. The best I can find is the Nokia cell phone power adaptor ( 5.7V 800mA ) which works quite well. It will charge up the cells to the same level as the OEM power adaptor ( the +0.2V difference doesn't seem to do anything which may in fact been overrided during the final CV mode ).

AW

I found this charger on E-bay.

It does not have 5.5V either,but it can charge at 6V.

Would that be safe on the DSD Charger?

Benny
    Last edited by MorpheusT1; 12-01-2005 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AW
    Well, I have tried many different power supply units for the DSD charger hoping to find one with a higher rate. It seems the factory 5.5V setting is the optimal voltage for the DSD and a 5.0V supply just wouldn't make it to finish the charge ( the cells will stop charging at around 4.0V ). I have also tried some USB adaptor ( also 5.0V ) and it 's still the same. Too bad a 5.5V power adaptor with a higher rate is very hard to come by. The best I can find is the Nokia cell phone power adaptor ( 5.7V 800mA ) which works quite well. It will charge up the cells to the same level as the OEM power adaptor ( the +0.2V difference doesn't seem to do anything which may in fact been overrided during the final CV mode ).

AW
    wow. didn't know nokia has that charger. what model isit? i do knowtise the DSD charges the cells to 4.05v to 4.17v randomly.

MorpheusT1 . will the plug head fit the DSD? i tried 6V before, the charger litted up. But dare not charge my batteries with 6V.
    Last edited by AtomSphere; 12-01-2005 at 11:45 AM.

Flashaholic

The Nokia power adaptor is ACP-12X ( 5.7V 800mA ), another ACP-8X ( 5.3V 500mA ) works well also. They are both for the Nokia 3,6,7,8 series models.

AW
    Last edited by AW; 12-01-2005 at 11:47 PM.

Enlightened

Thanks for the tip. I found a generic ACP-12U ( 5.7V 800mA ) at Pricegrabber for <$7 shipped. Oughta do the trick.
    L1P, TM-115XTi, TW4, A2, E1, E2e+KL4, UBH+KL1, ARC LS1v2, ARC AA, ArcLE, ArcAAA-red, CMG Infinity-red, CMG Infinity-amber, PT Aurora.....

cool! where you got it at $7? i also want some

Quote Originally Posted by AtomSphere
    For me, Pila chargers are charging a 150S (1000mAH) battery at 1.5A. Thats 1.5C! The charging rate is just too fast for that capacity, and i had my 150S only lasting full capacity for 30-40 cycles before the runtime dropped from 55minutes on a 9P to 35minutes.
    Are you referring to the standard charger that comes when you buy a Pila or Wolf Eyes rechargeable light? Or the $30 "smart" chargers (Wolf Eyes CH-02/DH-02 and their Pila equivalents)?
    1xAA: EagleTac D25A (Nichia 219C)
    2xAA: five EagleTac D25A2 Clicky (Nichia 219C); EagleTac D25A2 Tactical (XM-L2 T6); Jaxman M2 (XM-L2 T6)

Enlightened

Naughty Re: DSD Charger Adaptor upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by AtomSphere
    cool! where you got it at $7? i also want some
    It's generic and not OEM, so a shot in the dark, but:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/user_sal...lot_id=1942127

The 12U has flat pins, instead of the round pins of the 12X.

BTW, found this while I was grubbing (googling, rather) around looking for charger info for lions:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/
    L1P, TM-115XTi, TW4, A2, E1, E2e+KL4, UBH+KL1, ARC LS1v2, ARC AA, ArcLE, ArcAAA-red, CMG Infinity-red, CMG Infinity-amber, PT Aurora.....

Flashaholic*

Good information to know. Will the Nokia plug directly into the charger or is another adapter needed?

Curtis
    -- CUE

Flashaholic

The Nokia plug is the same size to the DSD OEM plug.

Flashaholic*

AW, are you planning on offering the "upgraded" charger as an option with the appropriate Nokia adapter etc for the 800mah charging capacity?

Thanks.

Curtis
    -- CUE

Flashaholic

Evilgrin07 Re: DSD Charger Adaptor upgrade

Nope, I guess you'll have to buy your own Nokia power adaptor or switch to use a Nokia phone

BTW, AtomSphere, sorry for hijacking your thread.

AW
    Last edited by AW; 12-02-2005 at 12:23 PM.

LoL.. No problem AW. I don't mind at all.

Your suggestions will better the world of flashaholic.

BTW i tried adjusting the voltage on my adaptor to 6v and the weird thing is that it sometimes got a protection cut-off from the adaptor for 1 second then it resumes charging.
    Too high a voltage for charging?

Enlightened

Finally found the time to test the generic (cheap, $7 shipped) charger upgrade. I was initially a little concerned that it might be unusable, since it was marked 8VDC@600mA. Opened it up, and found your typical DC-DC converter, with a somewhat larger inductor than I found in the 350mA DSD charger. So far, so good.

Measured the unloaded output on my Fluke 87III as a mere 5.9 (vs 6.49 from the DSD). Plugged into the cradle, I measured 5.1 at the terminals (vs 5.4 with the DSD), with no cells inserted. I allowed it to recharge a lightly used 18650 from my U2, which it did in 15-20 minutes. Voltage at the battery terminals after the green light came on was 4.18. Worky doky.

When I've got another chargable cell to test with, I'll have a look at the charge voltage with my scope, since it seemed to be cycling from ~4.1 to ~4.9 volts as it charged. Normal, I suppose.

Charging 2 empty 18650 cells in parallel took approximately forever with the DSD charger. With any luck, the generic Nokia charger will be a little faster, maybe forever/2.

I'd be leery of using a different power supply with the DSD. We don't really know how much of the charging "smarts" are in the charger and how much are in the adapter. If using a different power supply makes the batteries charge more quickly, it sounds like there is some current limiting going on in the power supply. You cannot rely on any old power supply to properly limit the current for the purpose of charging lithium ion cells. The charger was designed for some current level - higher currents may be outside the design criteria, giving unpredictable results. In my opinion the DSD charger should be treated as an immutable package, especially given the potential dangers of lithium ion cells.

Enlightened

balazer,

I'd generally agree, but so far I'd have to say the DSD looks pretty flexible. I don't see much evidence of any smarts in the DSD PS itself, other than output voltage sag under load, which is possibly design behaviour.

I've ordered another set of 18650 cells. When I charge them, I'll make some actual charge current measurements with both PS and see whether there's really any useful difference. I'm guessing the charge controller is in the cradle, and as yet I have no hard evidence that it can or does make use of the higher current capacity of the generic PS, which nevertheless appears to work at least as well as the DSD PS.

Quote Originally Posted by balazer
    I'd be leery of using a different power supply with the DSD. We don't really know how much of the charging "smarts" are in the charger and how much are in the adapter. If using a different power supply makes the batteries charge more quickly, it sounds like there is some current limiting going on in the power supply. You cannot rely on any old power supply to properly limit the current for the purpose of charging lithium ion cells. The charger was designed for some current level - higher currents may be outside the design criteria, giving unpredictable results. In my opinion the DSD charger should be treated as an immutable package, especially given the potential dangers of lithium ion cells.

Flashaholic

I remembered seeing an adaptor which looked like AtomSphere's in a departmental store which outputs 1700mA and has multiple voltage adjustments,including a 5.5v option (if i remember correctly). I was eager to buy it just to charge 2 17670s together and no other cell/combination but AW mentioned sometime ago that the DSD can only safely take up to 800mA current...and ended up not buying it.
    Last edited by BrianChan; 01-15-2006 at 09:37 AM.

Flashaholic

Help Re: DSD Charger Adaptor upgrade

Any opinions on my find?
    Regards,

Brian

Lightoleum - Interested to find out how your experiment with the Nokia ACP 12u went. I got one, but when I plug it into the DSD with a battery (18650) in it, the led goes green right away! So now I'm wondering if it is the power supply or the DSD.

Sam
    Romisen NC-G2, MTE SSC P4,MaxLite II, Civictor, LiteFlux1, Nuwai TM-115x, VB-16, Dorcy Super 1 Watt, UKeLED, CMG reactor

I have been using the Nokia ACP-12X (5.7V, 800mA) ever since the original adapter blew (after only a couple of days). It works great, charges much faster and I only need to carry one adapter for my mobile and the DSD when I travel.

OOOps, the Nokia ACP 12u works fine, the 18650 I first put in apparently was already charged which is why the led went green right away...
    Romisen NC-G2, MTE SSC P4,MaxLite II, Civictor, LiteFlux1, Nuwai TM-115x, VB-16, Dorcy Super 1 Watt, UKeLED, CMG reactor

AW, you stated that a 5V charger won't work with dsd? I have a 1.5A 5V charger. is this safe to use for charging a single cell in a dsd (18650, never rcr123)? If you think so, I will try charging with this adapter and report the final V and the V after about an hour or 2 (is that enough time for voltage to come to a rest?)