What have you done - Newbie Mag Rechargeable help

griffin

Newly Enlightened
Hello All, I discovered this site only a few days ago and have since become intrigued by the world of torches (sorry Flashlights). I have been looking for a reasonably priced 'better than average' unit for some time and despite (or maybe beacause of) the literally 100's of threads read in the past few days I am favouring a rechargeable Maglite. I currently have a 3C, a few 2AA, some 2AAA and a Solitare Mag plus some Korean LED stuff and until this week thought them pretty OK - how I anticipate things changing !

Anyway back to my question, if I can get a reasonably priced rechargeable Maglight (some of the USA 'exotica hasn't reached UK shores at any sort of reasonable price), can some one advise:

1) Is it OK to leave on charge all the time (being NiCad and all) ?
2) What easy (beginner) mods can be done to enhance performance

I have (nearly) decided on this model because
1) I have seen some on ebay in my price range (approx $115 but obviously in GBP)
2) I like the size of my 3C Mag but just want something bigger !
3) I want good throw (I hope that is the terminology) for lighting up trees etc in the distance when camping
4) Less interested in beam width or using it for close work. Mostly about spotting wildlife and impressing the kids :)
5) Needs to work for >hour ish

I am a bit worried that using rechargeables will mean that unless I am very careful when I pick it up it just wont work (battery flat) - maybe a 4D Mag plus rechargeable and a charger is better ? (if I can afford it)

Any advice much appreciated, I think I have read most threads searchable on this site regarding this unit but remain a bit confused.

Great site - hoping for some advice, first post so be gentle :) - I can see this flashlight thing may get obsessive, what have I done ?????

.....Thanks

DreamScape

Enlightened
First off Griffin, Welcome to CPF, I'm sure you will enjoy your stay here.

Magcharger, a fine 1st choice I may add. I got mine off ebay too.
Around £50 to £65 is about right.
I'm sure some of the more experienced flashaholics will answer later.
The site is USA based, so remember the minus 6+ hour time difference!!

Yours questions:
1. Yes it's fine to leave the Magcharger (MC) on the charger.
It might be best not to leave it on all the time though.
Nimh are the batteries that lose their charge the most.
Nicads only lose a smaller percentage over the weeks.
Can some one please jump in with the percentages of loses. :sssh:

2. A quick easy mod for the MC is the WA 1160 bulb.
It's much brighter than the standard MC bulb, not sure of the specs

Some links to help you along:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=92309&highlight=mag

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=97909&highlight=magcharger

Increase your Mags Throw !!

Have you concidered the bigger flashlights, like the Thor or similar?
Check out your local Homebase, they should have a selection of 1 million candle power to around 5 mcp, from around £10 to £40. Rechargerable and big throwers.
Good luck and enjoy :naughty:

Remember, The more you read, the lighter your wallet :broke: :rock:

AlanH

Enlightened
Remember, The more you read, the lighter your wallet

Or to put it another way !

Remember, The more you read, the lighter your wallet, the more time you spend online deciding what to buy, the more the packages arrive, the bigger the excuse has to be, the louder the questions get, the deeper the hole you are in. Simple really.

Welcome to CPF, these guys, me not included, really know their stuff, they are helpful, friendly and above all patient with us newbies.

They are currently trying to help me decide oin Mag Mods fopr my rechargeables, good luck, happy spending.

Alan

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
There's a similar thread in the Incandescents forum.

The stock Magcharger battery stick is NiCad, with a capacity of about 2500mAH. NiCads are pretty tough, so don't be too afraid of deep discharging it.

You might get better performance by building your own battery stick of 5 NiMH 1/2D cells. (The 1/2Ds are actually about 3/5 the length of a D cell.) Online battery vendors usually stock 1/2Ds in 3000-3500 mAH capacity. AeroNiMH used to offer 4000mAH 1/2Ds, but they currently offer only the 3500mAH cells.

NiMHs have a slightly higher self-discharge rate than NiCads. The commonly quoted figure is about 1% per day, but there is considerable variability depending upon the manufacturer.

I have several hotwire lights, but the one I use the most is a Magcharger with a Welch-Allyn 1160 bulb ("Mag60"). It offers a good balance of brightness and runtime. The Mag85 and Roar of the Pelican are great for impressing non-flashaholics, but their relatively short runtime limits their utility.

If you want the absolute best rechargeable super incandescent, I'd recommend getting a Surefire M6 and signing up for Jim Sexton's M6-R pack right now (it will only be available for a limited time). (No disrespect meant for Bill Waites' fantabulous USL, BTW.)

griffin

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses guys. I've looked at the SureFire specs, impressive but out of my price range sadly.

I have seen reference to the bulb you mention on some other threads but haven't seen a UK supplier, have you any experience of shipping from US or UK alternatives ?

I've thought about the bigger (and cheaper) 'spotlight' lamps that you can get but I really want something that is a good (if bright) all rounder - taking the kids to the loo whilst camping may not be ideal with a big Mag but even less so with a 5CP.

Oh hang on, I get it now - I need this and an alternative with a shorter throw but wider beam, plus a backup - maybe something LED.
I wish I hadn't found this forum, I feel like I have opened Pandoras box, my eyes have been opened forever
lolsign.gif

DreamScape

Enlightened
Seemed to have missed your last one, sorry.
How's it going? Choosen anything yet?
US to UK shipping sweet as, no probs.
Chime in and I'll post some links to dealers for you.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Griffin!
I bought my MagCharger about 1993 or so and carried it daily as a police officer for a little over 3 years (until they got all touchy-feely about carrying a metal light). This light got used (and abused) a lot, in every type of weather and situation. It has been used (often) as a door knocker and even used to smash in a car windshield once during a rescue (do you know how hard you have to hit a car windshield?!?)

Now (12 years later) I can give you this long term report.
-The hard anodizing is pretty tough. It has some nicks around the bezel (mostly from falling down a flight of concrete stairs) and a lot of nicks on the tailcap from repeated use as a door knocker. The rest of the light is pretty much like new.
-I have had to replace the stock bulb only once (after the light rolled down a flight of 12 concrete stairs while turned on, see above comment about nicks in the anodizing).
-The little rubber switch cap has been replaced twice, one cracked and the other just came off somewhere (both times MagLight sent me a replacement for free).
-I replaced the origional battery pack about 4 years ago when it abruptly stopped taking a charge (it had been getting weak but was still good for about a 20 minute runtime...not bad for a 8 year old NiCad pack). The replacement is also stock Mag issue.

A 4xD maglight is no where near as powerful as a MagCharger.

In summary, the MagCharger may be "old tech" but it's GOOD old tech! A stock Magcharger is still a throw and flood monster even by today's standards (I just wish the beam quality was better).

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hello Griffin and Welcome to CPF!

Here's a link to where the MagLite Rechargeable Flashlight can be had:

http://store.irawoodinc.com/mareflsybl.html

So far they seem to have the lowest price on this rechargeable flashlight system. Maybe there's another that I'm not aware of, but check them out!

The Welch~Allyn 01160-U Miniature Halogen Two-Pin Lamp(s) can be ordered through Litho123 here on CPF. He's got them for $20.00 for a 4-Pack.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Makarov

Enlightened
John aka Lighthound sell MC's for $100 incl int shipping.

I've had my MC since -94, upgraded it with a Borofloat lens from Flashlightlens, a WA1160 and a new Nicad stick(I'm thinking about getting a higher capacity NiHM instead) this May. I'm quite happy with the upgrades :)
It's been through a lot, and is currently my bumb-in-the-night-light. :twak:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hello Makarov!

Just curious as to where did you happen to come across a NiMH for the MagLite Rechargeable?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first great light i got, (in i think 87-90' can't remember) and the only one of only a couple of "before i found CPF and lost my soul to Hi end light's" I still
use. I can't think of a better hand held light to buy. I have used all the the streamlight rechargeables, and aside from the the weight, like the MC better.

I bounce between a WA 1160 and stock lamp like many here, but still it's a great light stock, and with a stock glass lens and metal reflector
you don't need to "fortify " the light to use the bulb,, just pop it in and center it. You will not regret it. VDG

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I agree with what he said about not needing to :fortify" , but have to add to that because my M@gCarger has a cleaner beam with the LOP reflector from Fivemega. Maybe sacrificed a smidgin of throw but the annoying rings and artifacts in the beam are largely cleaned up. The center spot is still a little oblong even after mulitple attempts at centering the bulb I feel it's as centered as it can get. It is a vast improvement in beam quality for the money and makes me happier to use it daily. Just a suggestion thats not too hard on the wallet. The 1160 bulb was so worth it ! :naughty:

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
AtomicX said:
Yes, I agree with what he said about not needing to :fortify" , but have to add to that because my M@gCarger has a cleaner beam with the LOP reflector from Fivemega. Maybe sacrificed a smidgin of throw but the annoying rings and artifacts in the beam are largely cleaned up. The center spot is still a little oblong even after mulitple attempts at centering the bulb I feel it's as centered as it can get. It is a vast improvement in beam quality for the money and makes me happier to use it daily. Just a suggestion thats not too hard on the wallet. The 1160 bulb was so worth it ! :naughty:

Oh for sure, something i intend to get at some point. I was speaking more as
sort of a newbie Graduate :laughing: in getting a nice light and then as you see and understand the performance of other high end light's and accessories. My somewhat Dr peck like way of delaying satisfaction in that
you will appreciate all the wonderful light's/parts/mod's available.VDG

griffin

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the input guys - despite strong competition, the ease of availability and the generally good reviews meant that the Mag Charger won the race. Bought from ebay (what did people do before ebay?) it sat tantilisingly for 16 hours on charge before it's first use.

Being a newbie (3C Maglite was 'best' FL up until then) I was very impressed at first but I am now getting a little blase - don't get me wrong it's good but the thought of doubling (?) the output with a simple bulb change is practically irresistable.

From what I have read:

1) A Magcharger with a buld and reflector change is a Mag 60?
2) I don't have to change the reflector but it will make the output more pure if I do ?
3) The reflector doesn't look metal to me - I am nearly sure it is plastic - is this OK ?
4) Output will be dramatically increased but operation time diminished - any idea in real terms what runtime will be ?
5) Finally any supplier of the bulbs in UK or can they be easily shipped ?

Thanks guys, I know some of this is old ground but it can be difficult reading all the different threads and getting consise answers.

:)

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hello Griffin!

So you bought a MagLite Rechargeable Flashlight System eh? Well Great!

1) A MagCharger with a bulb and reflector change is a Mag60?
Swapping the stock bulb with a Welch~Allyn U-01160 (WA1160) ups the ante over the stock version. A simple mod and around here they call it the Mag60, I suppose. . .

2) I don't have to change the reflector but it will make the output more pure if I do?
Really don't understand this part of your question. But there are those that have replaced the stock reflector with an aluminum one that FiveMega sells called the LOP. I believe that it is mirrorized light orange peel for improved light throwing.

3) The reflector doesn't look metal to me-I am nearly sure it is plastic-is this OK?
From what I read, the inside reflector is metal while the reflector "housing" is plastic. Okay for the WA01160 upgrade.

4) Output will be dramatically increased but operation time diminished-any idea in real terms what runtime will be?
If I remember correctly, runtime is roughly 30~35 minutes? Someone can clarify this better. I'm getting confused with the other MagXXXs. . .

5) Finally any supplier of the bulbs in UK or can they be easily shipped?
Don't know about within the U.K. But CPF members Litho123 and FiveMega sell the Welch~Allyn bulbs. You can look them up in the B/S/T Sell-Lights and also the Group Buys and Passaround sections respectively.

Hope that helps. . .Kinda sort of. . .Enjoy!

Last edited:

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
If anyone is interested...I got mine at Amazon and it was 73 dollars and change...free shipping. Whole kit, two bases, one cradle, and walwart/12v cord all included. AFAIK the deal is still available. Considering rechargeability and ability to run the wa1160 it was a deal. Cheers ! :buddies: