It's gone, the Magic Smoke™is gone :( the UVMag is down!

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I did a bad thing, i finally overdrove the UV LED in the Minimag, i put in a set of 4 *fresh* 3.6V 1/2 AA batteries, not scrounged from old Macs, closed up the light, and *POP!* goodbye UV LED :(

i pulled my spare LED, put in 2 clock batteries and a 3.6V AA Lithium, dropping the voltage to 10.8 V, and UV LED #2 popped

still, curiosity got the better of me, i pulled apart my "disposable" Radio Shack blue LED squeezylight, and popped the blue LED in the minimag, this time only using the 3.6V AA Lithium and a dummy battery (aluminum foil cylinder wrapped in electrical tape) and the LED is nice and bright, that minimag will be my host body for my 5MM LED experiments, but it looks like i may need to pick up that UV Inova X5 after all....

oh well, chalk it up as a learning experience, use *fresh* batteries for accurate power measurements

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the internal resistance of those cells must be sky-high for them to even have lasted for two seconds at 14.4V.

My best lights usually use 3 1.5V cells... matter of fact, my favorite one just runs on button cells.