How bright is Surefire KL2

wuyeah

Enlightened
Hi. KL2 seems like a mystery. I have read reviews about it online. But non of them tells how much Lux. measure KL2 has.

I don't own any LED. Since KL2 is about 75 dollar. I might consider it to mount on my M3 instead of purchasing a LED flashlight.

How much Lux. does KL2 have?

If you are in my shoe, would you get KL2 or buying more expansive LED such as U2 or L2?

greenLED

Flashaholic
wuyeah said:
If you are in my shoe, would you get KL2 or buying more expansive LED such as U2 or L2?

What are you going to use the light for? Do you want lots of brightness (U2, L2, etc.) or dimmer output and longer runtime (KL2?). Size and compatibility also matters (the KL2 is just a bezel), the KL2 can be used only in the M-series, IIRC.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the current KL2 head exactly the same as the current L2 light?

I guess if you like the M3 body and if that would work for your purpose, I'd just get the head.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
KL2 is not the same as L2. The KL2 uses old technology (relatively speaking) 5mm LED's while the higher performance LED lights use Luxeons. The KL2 was released around the same time as the KL1 and KL3 but while the KL1 and KL3 have received upgrades, the KL2 is pretty much still the same.

wuyeah

Enlightened
Brightness was what i interest in mind. In review, described KL2 as "insanely" bright. So I assume it is some what, about L2/U2 type of brightness.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The KL2 was SureFire's first released LED product I believe.
Personally I don't have a use for it - a lot of light but no beam. Kind of a waste of an M3 IMHO

al-l62.jpg

Kiessling

Flashaholic
IIRC the runtime is only about 90min on 3x123 ... and brightness is just 19x5mm LEDs ... I honestly don't think this head is a real alternative for us here except some specific reasons like a true soft flood beam or for modding purposes since it is fairly small and fits the M-Series ...
bernie

Archvile

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of KL2's that I picked up cheap about a year ago. Not bad for close up work, if you don't mind the blue tint. The 19 LED array looks pretty weird attached to the M3 body I must say. Talk about a downgrade in light! Anyway if you can get one for cheap I'd say go for it. Besides they are getting pretty hard to find as far as I know.