Help: I cannot modified a mag with acrylic ball

lagarto308

Newly Enlightened
I have received some uncuts leds from the sandwich. I have modified two AA Maglites and an old krypton flashlight, and all is right (wonderful!) but ...

I also purchased two 3/4 acrylic balls for the mags and I cannot put them into the mag :rant::rant:.

I have put the reflector and the lens off but the ball is too large to fit it into the mag. I cut the led with the same lenght that the original mag lamp. After that, I turned the original mag switch on/off in order to get more space where put the ball in, but I only can do it with a little margin to turn the switch on/off and squashing the led (almostly horizontal). Perhaps is mandatory to put a tailcap switch like Kroll or similar, and cut more the led.

Please, help! Only supporting the ball with the hand the throw is improved a lot. I would like to get it.

danielo_d

Enlightened
I have modded a few lights w/acrylic hemispheres with a good deal of success. Mostly they are with 1/2 watt 8mm LEDs.
I got them at TAP Plastics for like 50 cents each for two sizes. 3/4" and 1" [IIRC].
The link is to their spheres online. I bought the hemis at the store. Can't find them on their website, though.

Hemispheres instead of spheres might give you more leeway. You could even mount it outside the lense.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

[One of my EDCs is a modded Dorcy 1AA with 1/2 Watt 8 mm]

Danno