Filling HDS screw holes (with pictures)

JimmyB

Enlightened
Not sure if this has been posted before. For those that don't use the pocket clip on their HDS flashlight but don't like the bare holes or screw heads sticking out, there are a variety of solutions. The one I use is a couple of set screws. They fit flush with the holes, look more finished, and are easy to remove if you want to use the clip. 4x40 3/16 are about the perfect size although you have to tighten them down fairly hard to get them flush. I use a 1/8 instead and a little dab of blue (242) Loctite. A .050 Allen wrench fits the head. I like the look much better than the holes staring me down. By the way, this size is pretty small so not everyone will have them. Lowes only had #6. To get 4's I had to go to Tacoma Screw here in Seattle. In any case you may have to get them from a specialty fastener place. Later...

poof.gif

JimmyB

JimmyB

Enlightened
Yeah, I just found that out. I searched before I posted but you don't get too many returns when you type "HDS srews." Now I even have to spell check my searches... :ohgeez:

grift

Enlightened
Dad no longer has them:mecry:

so where could i find some? i really hate those holes and the screws look even worse.

luxlover

Banned
PoliceScannerMan said:
By looking at that palm I can see he is a Capricorn who likes lumens... :crackup:
By looking at that palm I can see he likes to SCREW his fellow CPF comrades. I mean this in a GOOD way, of course. He is one dude who serves our lighting community well. ARE YOU READING THIS......POPS?

sideman7

Newly Enlightened
One Other Option...

I went through the same thing after I got my HDS. I quickly figured out that I had no use for the clip, and after getting some supplies, settled on this (based on ideas I found in this forum):
CloseUP700.jpg

There are two 1.55x5mm tritium vials imbedded in a two part plastic epoxy (this is not epoxy glue) mixed with glow powder. There is a similar epoxy ring on the battery tube between the switch and the tube. I also applied a thin layer of glow paint to the inner edge of the bezel. The results:

Under normal light:
LightsOn400.jpg

With no light:

LightsOff400.jpg

After being briefly charged with a UV light:

Charged400.jpg