Looking for a new light, would like some opinions. EDIT: Sorta weasled out

TomBodet

Newly Enlightened
...And I just KNOW you guys have your opinions. :grin2:

I've read around and just can't seem to make up my mind.

Here's my situation. I don't own many good lights. Somehow I've managed to keep myself from buying anything serious so I have a Scorpion...yes, that's it. It's a great little light for the money and has done well but I want something with a better run time. I got the old lady a Lightwave 3000 a little while back and I've been thinking about my own LED.

This would be for everyday...well, everynight type use around the house so I figure I want more flood than throw (although I've got nothing against throw). I really like how well the 3000 lights up a large space, but it's too dim and too blue. I want much brighter and whiter without sacrificing a lot of run time.

I've looked online at the Pentagon L2 and S2 as well as the Streamlight Scorpion LED (since I love the bang for the buck you get with the regular Scorpion), the TL2 and the Surefire L2 & L4. I looked at the A2 as well, but the LEDs seem to be more of a map light than anything where I'm looking for a real good flood. Plus I figure I'll be getting a good xenon later. The hardest thing is looking at beam shots. There's great info over at flashlightreviews, but without a lineup of all these side by side in one shot, it's hard to tell really how each looks vs. how the camera captured the beam.

For a brief moment I also looked at the twin task lights, but I don't like the fact you have to cycle through the modes with one switch.

Oh, if you haven't figured out, I also would like this to be a metal/aluminum body, preferrably with hard anodizing. I just like the solid feel and the durability.

These are just my current considerations. I'm all ears for other suggestions whether it's other models or other manufacturers. These three companies (as far as I've seen) are very good with their warranties and customer service. If I can keep this under/around $100 that would be perfect.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

jeremycollins

Newly Enlightened
Re: Looking for a new light, would like some opinions.

I'd be surprised if you dont get a few recommendations for the Fenix L1P, as it's currently winning the "Flashlight of the Year" thread with the most votes.

It also appears to be a good light to use around the house - much better than my favorite light so far - the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon, which is a little too bright for use close-up.

The Fenix can also be purchased for ~$42 from 4Sevens on this board, and the difference can be used to pickup one or two more lights for other uses - maybe even the Streamlight!

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Tom ... Welcome to CPF !!! :)

First ... here are some threads that contain comparison beamshots, mostly outdoor in real life conditions:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/96686
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/42600
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/71345

Now to your questions ... brightness of a LED lights isn't the real problem any more (at least in the range we are talking here), and there are some nice flood lights out there.
BUT ... if you want a runtime comparable to a Lightwave3000 :green: ... we have a problem :sick2: ... and if you want it below $100 ... we have a second problem, as you are basically describing top notch lights and those tend to show top notch prices :D

The perfect flood lights are the SF L4 and SF L2 in stock form ... very bright, massive flood that will stomp your Lightwave as desired. A nice compromise in beam characteristics between flood and throw is the SF L5 and better ... the SF U2 ... that offer a beam best described as a "ram of light" with a relatively tight and bright corona and a big softly fading hotspot.

I am personnally not convinced by the offers of Pentagonlight and if you want to go cheaper than SF (will be less quality then of course) I'd choose something other than PL. However, this is my opinion and a consensus isn't reached yet. You can read my impressions about PL here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/98570

Another thought worth considering might be the possible use of rechargeable batteries if you plan to use the light every day for prolonged periods of time.

You might have noticed that CPF has some very talented light makers and creators ... who do also offer very nice and high quality LED lights that can easily compete with commercally available products, but IMHO this would be a bit too much for this post here.

In the end, don't bother too much with this decision now ... as you will end buying multiple expensive lights anyway ... :devil: :poke:

bernie

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened

Rather than buying light after light looking for an excellent all around
general purpose light, go for the Surefire U2. A small well machined
lithium powered variable projector of bright white photons with
functional simplicity, magnificent design, a tough exterior finish and
one of the best warranties in the business.

Go for it ........ :poke: ........:takeit: ...... :paypal: ...... do it now !

TomBodet

Newly Enlightened

Kiessling said:
Tom ... Welcome to CPF !!! :)

Now to your questions ... brightness of a LED lights isn't the real problem any more (at least in the range we are talking here), and there are some nice flood lights out there.
BUT ... if you want a runtime comparable to a Lightwave3000 :green: ... we have a problem :sick2: ... and if you want it below $100 ... we have a second problem, as you are basically describing top notch lights and those tend to show top notch prices :D

bernie

Thanks for the links, I'll take a look.

As for the run time... yeah yeah, I know I'm not getting that level of run time, I'm demanding, not nuts. Let's look at the 3000 along the lines of overall beam coverage that it has. I just didn't want to go with a light that has a 1 hour run time. At that point, I'll just get another xenon.

Oh, and I've read some of the threads you've been in regarding Pentagon. I'm well aware of your opinion of them so we'll leave it at that. :devil:

Jeremy, I do recall looking at the Fenix. I'm not sure it turns me on as much as the others.

EDIT: Pwdrkeg - Not gonna happen. Yes it's slick, it's cool and has a lot going for it but I'm not dropping $250 on a single light. I just can't. Heck, I'll be getting a dedicated weaponlight at some point and am still cringing at the thought of it plus mount & switching options what the final cost will be....maybe after taxes come back. :broke:

Last edited:

BlackDecker

Enlightened

I don't blame you, Tom... I wouldn't pay $250 for a single light, no matter how good it is. My entire collection hasn't surpassed $250 yet.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

What about an HDS EDC Basic 42? These can be had for about $100. Small, bright, multiple brightness levels and optional battery packs coming soon. You can also get a Basic 42 extended run-time for a little more or Basic 60 is under $150.

SuperNinja

Enlightened

BlackDecker said:
I don't blame you, Tom... I wouldn't pay $250 for a single light, no matter how good it is. My entire collection hasn't surpassed $250 yet.
Yeah, if you lose it or it gets "permanently borrowed", then you will be like this guy -> :mecry:

TomBodet

Newly Enlightened

Sean said:
What about an HDS EDC Basic 42?

Nice light, but too stubby. I do like the output & run time though, that's nice....hmmm, it would make a good belt light though.

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened

TomBodet said:
EDIT: Pwdrkeg - Not gonna happen. Yes it's slick, it's cool and has a lot going for it but I'm not dropping $250 on a single light. I just can't. Heck, I'll be getting a dedicated weaponlight at some point and am still cringing at the thought of it plus mount & switching options what the final cost will be....maybe after taxes come back. :broke:

Tom,

The Surefire U2 can be had for $ 200.00 plus or minus on eBay. ..... :naughty:

TomBodet

Newly Enlightened

Pwdrkeg said:
Tom,

The Surefire U2 can be had for $ 200.00 plus or minus on eBay. ..... :naughty:

SHHHhhhh! Stop that!

I did just see the Fenix 2 is almost/already is available. That one doesn't look too bad to me. But I like knurled stuff though!

Ugh, how do you tell someone, "Yeah, I just spend a week online searching for which flashlight I want to get next" and not sound crazy?

spokes

Newly Enlightened

Pwdrkeg said:
Rather than buying light after light looking for an excellent all around
general purpose light, go for the Surefire U2. A small well machined
lithium powered variable projector of bright white photons with
functional simplicity, magnificent design, a tough exterior finish and
one of the best warranties in the business.

All true of the Gladius also with the added benefit of infinitely variable brightness, selectable modes, and a slightly smaller pricetag.

cslinger

Enlightened

What about the Streamlight Task Light 2L? Under 100.00, very good light, two light levels, good through and nice flood, good output, 9 hours or so of runtime on low. Metal body.

Give it a look.

Chris

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast

TomBodet said:
Nice light, but too stubby....
If you're thinking about holding the HDS in a traditional flashlight manner, you normally don't do that. You hold it either pen-style, or cigar-style (between index & middle finger). Most find it works very well either way.

Whatever light you get, I'd recommend one with variable or multi-level output. Especially for inside use, that's convenient and greatly extends run time, yet you have full power available when needed.

A less expensive variable output light is the Vari-Brite 52L. It has good output on high and is about $70:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/re...ri-brite52l.htm
http://emilionworkshop.com:3072/osc...a6b6802a56d4e6a

TomBodet

Newly Enlightened

Chris, the TL2 is on my list above and is probably making the short list. However I believe you are mistaken about the two light levels. As far as I see, it's a momentary push with an on/off/TCLO twist.

I've also started liking the SF L1 GenII. Anyone have this and can comment on the switch function? I'm wondering how much effort is needed to get to high output or maybe is it hard to NOT go too far and hit high when you just want low....

cslinger

Enlightened

Definitely a two level light. Seems like a heck of a good light for the money.

As far as the Surefire L1 I love mine. I have an early and a new model. Great little light but if you are willing to spend that much around $120 take a look at the Surefire L2 and HDS EDC lights. You want flood the L2 has flood like you've never seen. :D

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_tasklight_2l.htm

Beam Characteristics ............... Wide spot, bright center
Throw (Lux) (click for description) Low ~ 280 at beam center. 16.73 Comparison Chart equivalent)
High ~ 2480 at beam center. (49.80 Comparison Chart equivalent)
Overall Output (click for description) Low ~ 377 (3.77 Comparison Chart equivalent)
High ~ 3320 (33.20 Comparison Chart equivalent)
Battery / Power Type................ 2 x 123A
Battery Life (advertised) ........... 3 hours high, 11 hours low

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are several similarly-named Streamlights:

The Twin Task which combines a Xenon center bulb with three 5mm LEDs for a nice relatively low powered flood and though it is a versatily piece for a good price, is comparable to Nuwai lights as far as quality and 'heft' go.

The Task Light which looks pretty much just like the Twin Task and has two levels and similarly comparable to some Nuwai lights.

The TL-2 LED which looks different than the other two and from a design perspective, is a more robust light that is roughly starting to get on par with the Surefires.

TomBodet

Newly Enlightened

cslinger said:
Definitely a two level light. Seems like a heck of a good light for the money.

Whoops, my mistake. I was looking at the TL-2, not the T2 as you are. What I really like about the SF lights is that you have a semi-choice over the light brightness instead of those particular Streamlights that you have to cycle through the clicks.

I liked the L1 for it's slightly shorter size compared to the L2....but I just looked at the output again and wow, yeah that's a lot of output comparatively...but then yeah it's also only 1 CR123 vs. 2 in the L2. Again, another consideration.

I'm REALLY liking the SFs, especially for the Hi/Low modes. The Vari-Brite suggested by joema looks okay, but I really don't want 30 levels of light. That's a bit much.

Edit: cratz beat me by a few seconds in the Streamlight misunderstanding.:goodjob:

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

As far as 2-level Surefire lights, the L1 and L2 are both popular but I'm not crazy about either one... The L1 isn't really super bright even on high and the low is LOW LOW LOW. The L2 is PLENTY bright, but just too long in my opinion for many modes of comfortable carry and the low just isn't all that low.

I'm not knocking either light.... I know they both have many fans and they serve some specific purposes but if I personally wanted a 2 stage Surefire, I'd personally go for an L4 and get a 2 stage tailcap.