☠ END OF THE WORLD ☠

thermal guy

Flashaholic
You could simply choose to not participate in threads that have no value to you. Instead you're trying to be the edgy, Internet cool guy. Nobody's impressed and your attitude stinks. I'm adding you to my ignore list.

Ya probably best to just ignore ppl who are in it just to stir things up. I think threads like this do have a useful purpose. And ya the chances of this sort of thing happening are remote but, I still carry my get home bag in my veicial and my whole family has there own bug out bag. Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it:)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
You could simply choose to not participate in threads that have no value to you. Instead you're trying to be the edgy, Internet cool guy. Nobody's impressed and your attitude stinks. I'm adding you to my ignore list.

Ya probably best to just ignore ppl who are in it just to stir things up.

Thanks for your participation, It is good when members become involved with moderating those who are not contributing.

Billl

Last edited:

mick53

Newly Enlightened
I think it's time for another puppy injection.

Okay boys, I get the idea.

I will cease monitoring and commenting on this useless thread even though it has provided me a lot of laughs AFTER someone explains this "puppy injection" business to me.

What in the world was that guy talking about? His post is on this page. It's #70. Explain puppy injections and I'm gone.

In the meantime I will continue working on my secret underground hideout in preparation for the end of the world.

Last edited:

mick53

Newly Enlightened
Bullz, am I missing something reference your last post?

It simply quotes my last post.

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before my answer, what I would say to the purpose of these threads, is that it is more about preparedness than truly EOTW. If you know what you are likely to grab in the worst scenario you can think of then you have thought about what is most likely to be reliable and useful with other resources being limited.

I would take:
Fenix HL50 - takes a single AA or CR123 (no issues scavenging unmatched cells), gives hands free use. Remember you don't actually need much light as our eyes are very good.
Knife - OKC Blackbird-SK5 (a great no-frills survival knife with 154cm steel)
Multi-tool - SOG Blacktip (a special edition version with massive pliers)

Obviously I would grab others as well, but those would be high priority.

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
The simple truth is there are any number of awful thingsthat can occur and almost all of them are worse in the dark.

I enjoy these threads for what they are, a good way to discuss the practical application of lights during disastrous times. A thread about what flashlight you might haveas a dedicated emergency light is a refreshing change from yet another "1000 lumens is never enough" or "Oh dear god I'm blinded by the low on this Fenix flashlight" thread. The adults in the room understand that framing the discussion as TEOTWAWKI or the Zombie Apocalypse is metaphoric, encompassing all of the bad things that can upset our daily routine. Sometimes violently so. Comments from anyone not mature enough or bright enough to understand that aren't worth the time and energy it takes to engage them.

I'm 59 years old and I've been ordered out of my own home twice in my life, once for fire and once for flood. To say that's an uncomfortable circumstance doesn't really do it justice. Throw in the occasional weather induced long duration power outage that has me "camping"in my own house and the need for a reasonable amount of disaster preparedness is simple common sense.

Everyone's going to have a different idea on what light's right for them but I believe there are a few simple rules to follow.

Reliability should be priority one. If you're using your disaster light then you're already having a bad day and that's not the time find out the 5 for a dollar Walmart special wasn't a good idea.

Run time trumps lumens. It doesn't take much light to see when it's dark.

A single battery light. If you're scrounging for batteries, do you really want to have to find more than one?

Headlamps are more useful than flashlights. If your plan is to stand around and look at the disaster get a flashlight. If your plan involves actually dealing with it then get a headlamp.

The AA battery is the most common battery in the world. The Cr123 battery dominates the first responderand military supply chain. Figure it out.

My SHTF light choice is currently the Streamlight SidewinderCompact II.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I got up at 2am for a nature call and used a low lumen incan to see by.

Two things came to mind:
1) when the world is completely dark it doesn't take much light to see 25'.
2) everybody hates Mag Solitaire lights so there'd be no concern of them being something I'd be attacked for.

So in a world without the eternal generator, several triple a battery sipping lights could last for a year.
And regarding those incans, I have acquired about 100 bulbs and at least that many batteries.

In a world where folks will kill for shampoo, a tube of chapstick, or a charge of their ipod, the firefly light can keep you safe while not alerting a would be attacker who lurks beyond your range of hearing where a bright light would.

Last edited:

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll get the solar charger with usb ports, so I can charge the 18650, AA,car battery, so I can use any lights I want.
18650 battery got more power than aa battery, if the 18650 battery die, just find some laptop and you some 18650.
For knife, I like Busse, they last forever.

mick53

Newly Enlightened
In a world where folks will kill for shampoo, a tube of chapstick, or a charge of their ipod, the firefly light can keep you safe while not alerting a would be attacker who lurks beyond your range of hearing where a bright light would.

And THIS IS WHY I never shampoo my hair and allow my lips to chap until they bleed constantly. I don't have power company service or a generator either!

It seems every day i read about someone killing somebody for a bottle of shampoo or a tube of chapstick. And the "i wanna charge my ipod" killers are just too numerous to mention. Those guys are everywhere.

Please see post #70 in this thread and explain what the OP means by "puppy injection." As soon as i find out, i'm gone.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there is an EMP, things wind down fairly quick for lighting and other electronically controlled items. LED flashlights would be done, incans will only work as long as there is a battery supply as charging will be toast too.

mick53

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to figure out how to explain it without violating policy...

Simple. Ask the mods if they will absolve you of any infraction that might occur by you giving me this information.

I assure you, no matter what the explanation, I will bear no malice. After all, i'm asking for it.

And besides, i'm sure others are curious too.

Remember, once i get an explanation of what this means in the context in which it was used, i'm gone.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Per my last PM to you mick53 take a month off and read CPF Rule 4.

Bill

Last edited:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
22684340194_c63af54308_c.jpg