fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Screen Shot 2023-11-28 at 2.48.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-28 at 2.50.08 PM.png

READ MORE...

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please stop with the SOS BS, that is nothing but a useless gimmick, and has no place on a flashlight.

A case can be made for a strobe, as that can be useful for signaling.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Please stop with the SOS BS, that is nothing but a useless gimmick, and has no place on a flashlight.

What about this use? We can think of many times a flashlight could help when in distress. Please explain your SOS statement.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about this use? We can think of many times a flashlight could help when in distress. Please explain your SOS statement.
Please provide 1 DOCUMENTED incident where the SOS feature on ANY flashlight was used for a save of any person?

Strobe can certainly be used to gain attention, and I myself have used, and do use strobe for that.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please provide 1 DOCUMENTED incident where the SOS feature on ANY flashlight was used for a save of any person?

Does this count?

Strobe would get people's attention but only a slow SOS mode could convey the simple morse message :)

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does this count?

Strobe would get people's attention but only a slow SOS mode could convey the simple morse message :)

I see nothing that states he was flashing SOS, so I would say NO

What they described could have certainly been handled by a strobe, and I would submit VERY MUCH better handled by a strobe.

SOS signaling on a flashlight is the answer to a question that no one ever asked.

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given current Journalistic standards (can't even get offender descriptions right), there is no reason it wasn't SOS 😋

Like I said previously... both strobe/SOS will attract attention but only 1 can convey the severity of your predicament.

Last edited:

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Waving a strobing light in the dark is a lot more attention grabbing, and much quicker at it, than SOS. If anything SOS should be an option exclusively in diving lights, as they're one of few kinds guaranteed to be used on boats.

DRW

Enlightened

Absolutely agree (except for the strobe part, it's useless too).

Waving a flashlight has the same signaling ability while reducing the number of useless modes.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the SOS and strobe are steps in the mode sequence, no thanks.

How many people today know that dot dot dot, dash dash dash, dot dot dot, means Send Our Ships; is a distress call. I'd rather use a smart phone.

Save Our Souls is understood by more than we would initially consider...

Ex-Military
Maritime
Amateur Radio
Former Scouts/Cubs

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waving a strobing light in the dark is a lot more attention grabbing, and much quicker at it, than SOS. If anything SOS should be an option exclusively in diving lights, as they're one of few kinds guaranteed to be used on boats.
Depends where, in a city i would think it is a bicycle ahead, we got tons of those with strobes, annoying like hell. on the road, i would think there maybe an accident ahead, but if i did not see a crash i'd step on it, cuz it could be an attempted carjacking.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Save Our Souls is understood by more than we would initially consider...

Ex-Military
Maritime
Amateur Radio
Former Scouts/Cubs

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I have no problem with SOS mode on a flashlight, provided it has it's own way of accessing, so you don't have to cycle through it every time when changing modes. I seldom use strobe or SOS, but something like clicking the side switch twice for strobe and 3 times for SOS is fine.

If a person fell while hiking and had a broken leg and was trying to signal an aircraft, or someone else who was out of earshot, SOS could be a lifesaver, where strobe wouldn't necessarily indicate that you need help or are just a kid fooling around with a flashlight. There are many similar situations where SOS could be used for someone in distress.

Most of my modern lights with SOS these days have a separate command to access, so I like having it there if needed.