1 cell lion boost driver 4 - 6 amps for white1 led

bonhomme

Newly Enlightened
Hello, trying to mod a eagletac M25C2(turbohead) with a osram white1 led.
With the original driver i have only 2 amps at the led.
So tried direct drive from a lion 4.2v unprotected cell , and have +-4amps at led.
With my power supply (at +-4.3V) i can get to +-5 amps before the led begins to emit blueisch light (to much current).
So looking for a 1 cell BOOST driver that can deliver 4-6 amps to led?
At 4amps (direct drive on 1 lion) i have 800.000 lux (not bad i think).

Any suggestions?
Thanks Marc

Last edited:

Agpp

Enlightened
You must have a lot of resistance in the light as White Flat is normally heavily overdriven by DD 18650...
...or maybe you're measuring current with the meter inline? Are you using a clamp meter?

bonhomme

Newly Enlightened
Yes, i was measuring with meter inline.
With clamp meter i have 4,8 amps on direct drive 18650, so thats almost the max for that led.
So, 800.000 lux is the max i think?

BananasCentral

Newly Enlightened
I've been measuring with meter in series... since I read the DMM instructions a long time ago.
Have I been wrong the entire time?

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been measuring with meter in series... since I read the DMM instructions a long time ago.
Have I been wrong the entire time?

Not for that meter. However, it does insert a bit of resistance to the circuit, both from the leads and from the current shunt in the meter. In this case, the circuit resistance is really low, and the meter adds enough to be significant.

A clamp on meter isn't inserted in the circuit, rather it has a ring that can be opened, and then closed around the wire, so the wire passes through the ring. This type of meter adds no DC resistance to the circuit, thus does not impact the current it's trying to measure. Unfortunately, the cheap ones only measure AC current. Ones that measure DC tend to be much more expensive.