1-yr review on $6.00, Zoom Q5 AA/14500

Nkelly226

Newly Enlightened
Glad to see alot of ppls opinions on these lights I see them on Slickguns and amazon all the time and have wondered if they were worth the couple of bucks to purchase I think I might pick up one or two of them now

mccririck

Enlightened
I don't understand.
Post #12 above stated if shut off on high, then it will come on in strobe the next time. How is this not cycling past strobe?

Different versions may do it differently. I did purchase a flashlight recently than did what post #12 said. Needless to say I sold it on...

DrVette

Newly Enlightened
I don't understand.
Post #12 above stated if shut off on high, then it will come on in strobe the next time. How is this not cycling past strobe?

It has a "timer" etc. If you wait several seconds after cutting off, it goes back to Hi-mode.

If you cut it back on immediately, then the next mode is activated.

dgbrookman

Newly Enlightened
It has a "timer" etc. If you wait several seconds after cutting off, it goes back to Hi-mode.

Not mine. It ALWAYS goes to the next mode in the series, whether it's left off for a couple seconds, an hour, or a week.

That points up one of the main problems with this light: you never know just what you're going to get. It's not a single product but sort of an "umbrella" of lights, probably from different manufacturers, which can differ in terms of tint, modes, and so on. At least they're cheap enough that it's not a big deal if the light you get isn't the light you thought you were buying.

For practical use I prefer my genuine SK68. It has a much nicer tint and single mode is fine for my uses. The idea of a "genuine" cheap Chinese flashlight is slightly bizarre, but whatever.

Last edited:

Backpacker Light

Enlightened

This is exactly what I meant, the next mode is what is next activated.

But please do not take this the wrong way,
I thank you DrVette for starting this thread. I was not aware of this $6 light until you posted. This is how I learn about the many great lights available out there.

I have researched it now and am very interested in it.

This is what the CPF forum is all about.

DrVette

Newly Enlightened
Dgbrookman's does not operate like mine.

As McCrick said the operation/quality of this light varies.

A good example is the ebay units & Amazon will change from 3-mode to 1-mode on the same Link!

The quality issues are of little suprise for a Q5, 3-Mode, FTT unit for sub-$6.00 cost.

tam17

Enlightened
Found a crappy version of Sk68 clone at a local Chinese seller, however price is around 15EUR! After examining and trying out the ehxibited sample, I can tell that it's surely not worth the money. It's a single-mode lookalike bundled with no-name 14500 and a charger that I wouldn't try to plug in in any inhabited area... :poof:

Cheers

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Does anybody have some runtime figures for the UltraFire 3 Mode? Lithium AA, Alkaline AA, Eneloop AA, and or 14500. Thanks!

DrVette

Newly Enlightened
Found a crappy version of Sk68 clone at a local Chinese seller, however price is around 15EUR! After examining and trying out the ehxibited sample, I can tell that it's surely not worth the money. It's a single-mode lookalike bundled with no-name 14500 and a charger that I wouldn't try to plug in in any inhabited area... :poof:

Cheers

Try the http://www.ebay.co.uk site.
I found some sk-68, 3-mode clones there for £4-5.00 shipped

Last edited:

blooper

Newly Enlightened
I got one of these a few weeks back. Im pretty sure it's the exact one that OP has. Seems to be a few versions floating around varying by seller.

I like it so far. It was my entry level flashlight till I got my Fenix E11. I would definitely get another one.

How bright do you suppose it is? I really doubt it is 300LM like it's labeled. Maybe when fully zoomed?

mccririck

Enlightened
I got one of these a few weeks back. Im pretty sure it's the exact one that OP has. Seems to be a few versions floating around varying by seller.

I like it so far. It was my entry level flashlight till I got my Fenix E11. I would definitely get another one.

How bright do you suppose it is? I really doubt it is 300LM like it's labeled. Maybe when fully zoomed?

Zooming will not give more lumens. I think they are about 80 lumens with an AA battery and about 140-160 lumens with a 14500.

arbiker501

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the post and all the comments guys. I have not been keeping up with lights but did get my first 6 Dollar light in today.. WOW huh..

Man , I love these lights . Sure they are not perfect clean beams and all that but for the buck how can you not like them. Well at least since it is working for NOW.

Still makes it harder and harder to buy the high dollar lights.

A few years ago the cheap lights were just not very dependable or no where near this bright on a Single aa. I got it and my new eagle tac d25lc2 ... And they dont compare but tonight when i go out in the muddy garden and do some things . It is hard not to pick up one of those affordable lights .

Thanks for the info guys,.

mccririck

Enlightened
Yeah they are great little torches. The only improvement I would make is a better quality lens so that the beam is cleaner.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zooming will not give more lumens. I think they are about 80 lumens with an AA battery and about 140-160 lumens with a 14500.
Zooming will give less lumens. You move the lense further from the led, and more light fails to hit the asperic. Zoom lights usually looses 40-50% lumens when focused for throw, but you gain lux.

The light looks like a copy of the old nitecore extreme. The extreme was a non zoom cr123 light and has the same threads as the surefire e-series. Is this light compatible with e-series stuff? Can you unscrew the head and put a vme head on it?