10440, diffuser lampshade, tailstand

prse

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF

My first thread after lurking around reading A LOT about AAA flashlights. I'm now ready to ask my 1. question.

I would like to find a LED flashlight with the following specifications:

- can use both AAA and 10440 (made for)
- energy efficient and powerful for it's type/caegory
- can be carried in a key ring
- can tail stand with key ring installed
- diffuser/lampshade for camping use available as an accessory

Other features that would be nice to have but not a deal breaker if not:

- made in titanium
- very small and light for it's type/category
- at least 3 different brightness settings, or preferably a RELIABLE variable light output adjustment method.

Cheers,
Peter

cjmorris

Enlightened
It doesn't exist. Tailstand with key ring isn't realistic with a light that small. Peak makes nice AAA lights. MBI makes a crazy powerful AAA light. L3 illumination 08 is another nice option.

What you really want is multiple lights for different purposes. One super do it all light doesn't exist.

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF.

Maratac AAA comes close. Doesn't officially support li-ion 10440 but the light won't go poof. I guess you could say it is efficient and powerful for its type/category. It will tailstand with the key ring attached. And it does come with a diffuser. You need to order more than just the light because of CountyComm's shipping rate.

There are other AAA lights out there and you would need to figure out how to make a simple diffuser or light cone. These lights come close and you either need to compromise on some features or get multiple lights.

Since you're new to CPf, you're going to end up getting more lights anyway, so just figure out what the most important feature is and get a light that excels in that area.

robert.t

Enlightened
Tank007 E09. Meets all of the criteria except perhaps runtime, which is OK but not great (mainly due to it's high output on high). I'm not sure what the runtime is on low, but it's a fairly low low, so I would imagine it's not too bad. I believe it is also better on 10440 than on primaries or Eneloops.

Also made of Aluminium, but that has the advantage of making it lighter than Ti. The downside is that it will pick up scratches, but so does Ti; the only advantage Ti has is that the scratches can be polished out.

Final advantage is that it's dirt cheap. One of the best AAA lights around, without a doubt. And especially so given it's price.

cjmorris

Enlightened
Lumapower has a light that might be exactly what you want. I think it's the avenger gx model.

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Among the higher end AAA lights I recently bought the Maratac AAA in copper which looks real nice so I agree with yoyoman and I can put in a plug for that one. I don't have one yet but the AAA by Prometheus Lights (Dark Sucks) is a great light as are the several AAA ones put out by Peak. Eventually I plan to buy all of these.

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a weakness for AAA lights. The requirement that threw me was the diffuser/lampshade. I know the Maratac AAA comes with one - even if I don't use it and probably lost it.

The AAA by Prometheus is unique with the quick release. I believe it tailstands when you take it off, but I'm not sure. The Olight i3S, Titanium Innovations AAA and some others take 10440 and tailstand. The new Thrunite Ti3 doesn't take 10440. Peak Eiger AAA lights from Oveready are great. Only the short body ones will tailstand.

image.jpg

prse

Newly Enlightened
Thank you everybody for your replies. Much appreciated. I've given all the suggested lights a thorough look.

I agree with you cjmorris, that i need to find out which features that's most important for me. As this will be my first AAA flashlight, and i'll probably be carrying it in my key chain, I've decided that aesthetics will play a important role. So, for now I've narrowed it down to these:

-Prometheus Beta-QR solid copper (best looking, great patina, like the Quick release)
-Maratac AAA Coppe Rev 3 (high lumen count on normal batteries, diffuser, great patina)
-Peak (so many options, some sold out. Takes so many different batteries, and i like the idea of the QTC)
-Klarus ti mix6 (just because of it's minuscule size)

I want the all...but for now, I'll have to decide on the first one!

Also, because i live in Denmark, shipping plays a role too.

Cheers,
Peter

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
-Prometheus Beta-QR solid copper (best looking, great patina, like the Quick release)
-Maratac AAA Copper Rev 3 (high lumen count on normal batteries, diffuser, great patina)

I want the all...but for now, I'll have to decide on the first one!

Get them both!

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DQG VIII Titanium is back again at CNQ. Only two modes though but has everything else. Not sure if they are still selling the silicon diffuser but I think Fast Tech has one that fits.

Latest posts