12-Hour Blackout - Lessons learned - What light(s) is most useful?

HIDblue

Enlightened
Having 3 dogs, all with very happy and wagging tails, we are accustomed to knowing how and where to place things to avoid being knocked over.

I tried putting a small AAA key chain light on my shepherd's collar, but she wouldn't have any of it. :fail:

HIDblue

Enlightened
Next would be the single LED puck lights we scatter through the house to turn on as we go to use as "candles". Lastly would be our LED headlamps. Those things are worth their weight in gold for doing chores in the dark, or even readin they seem to work better than the lanterns because of no cast shadow.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually seen those at the local Costco and always wondered about them. I always thought they were gimicky since I also saw them on info-mercials, but you pointed out a good way of using them throughout the house.

Last edited:

HIDblue

Enlightened
Hey HID,

Thanks for your observations; confirmation for me of the standards I've set for the small lights I buy... 1) Tailstanding, 2) clip capable, 3) clicky switch, 4) neutral tint (I know this last one isn't a necessity but merely my personal preference). I won't buy a light that doesn't meet these first three requirements.

And +1 on the Rayovac LED lantern; got one a couple summers ago but forgot about it until a couple days ago... it was buried out in our pantry with a bunch of other stuff. I'm going to get at least one more for camping/preparedness purposes. (Just wish they made a neutral or warm version though.)

You're welcome B0wz3r. Yeah, I'm starting to reassess my pocket EDC light collection based on some of my experiences from last night.

And it seems like the Ray o Vac LED lantern is the way to go. Several others have mentioned that same lantern as well.

Illum

Flashaholic
davidt1, ooh nice way of using that zebralite, I've been thinking about epoxying a magnet under my H50 for the same reason :)

when theres a blackout here, usually theres a storm. Dim light is what you'd want around you, but have bright lights that can be turn on in seconds notice near the entry ways just in case you need to get out in a hurry.

When all goes dark, you'd be surprised how foreign the house becomes, I've lived in this house for 14 years...when the light went out the first thing I did was trip over a chair, felt my way to where I know I kept a light, and found it by touch. I now EDC 24/7...I can be wearing nothing and have something on my neck. as I am editing my post I am pocketing an L4-MCE, clipped on a E1e+LF-HO-E1R, and in close contact to a High CRI modded Fenix P1. If I wind up buying that glock 26 sometime this year, that will probably be on me too.

Lanterns are useful, but not as invaluable as lights that can ceiling bounce standing in a glass of water. If you took care of your lights you'd expect them to be water resistant, tail standing in water does two things: cool things down and resists tipping over. If you are out of lanterns, white watercolor paint + waterproof light + water + tupperware with lid works just as well :)

Headlamp is a biggie, always have a headlamp. Wear it on you, on an arm if you want it out of your hair. try putting on a tarp with one hand, the storm will have passed and the one from next month come in before you're done.

Three 2007 edition E2Ls in the house with GITD O-rings on the heads are my main hurricane lights. I have my Malkoff M60LL on standby and have gotten my father comfortable with using it. Every person in the family has an fenix E01 on their keys [I have an L0D-CE Q4 on mine] along with about three extra E01s around the house.

If we really needed a bright room light I can rewire my work bench light from AC to DC by pulling out a couple jumpers and putting them other pins and run it off the auto jumpstarter. It'll light a 3' by 5' table, dual warm white MCEs off a 350ma boostpuck and a runtime of 12 hours [till 50%] on my jumpstarter.
If needed be, I suppose surgery can be done on my table...:nana:

Aside from the flashlights I have about 4 Osram lanterns, on low it runs about 10 hours and cool to the touch.

If all that fails, theres a dozen 24Hr green lightsticks, a small pile of transistor based joule-thiefs that can power any 5mm LED on any stray battery along the way. If I can't find them in a hurry I can yank the 9V cells from my alarm clocks, snap them on 2-3 pak-lites and go with that. If all else fails, theres the inverter on the car, with about 5 gallons of 87 octane with fuel stabilizer in reserve in a utility shed [standard for all storm seasons]:)

Unfortunately, I live where the grid is the sturdiest with overhead lines. Once the whole subdivision is out but we had power, barely a flicker:shakehead

Always have loaner lights, especially if you love your neighbor. I have a couple AA powered Inova lights, such as the bolt, X1 [V4], and recently X2s. When the light goes out the first thing I do is to check on the neighbors, make sure they have a light or two if needed be. I like the Inova lights because theres abundant flat sides to write your address on with a fine silver or black sharpe. Most had no problems coming back :)

Last edited:

HIDblue

Enlightened
Don't forget a radio - being able to tune in to your local news AM station can be crucial when there's no other means to get information, and a nice morale booster when there's nothing else to do.

Definitely +1 on the battery-powered radio. I have 2 of them in our earthquake kit. I laughed when my buddies told me to get an earthquake kit, but I wasn't laughing yesterday. Well, maybe a little...

molon_labe

Newly Enlightened
There is a Chinese hand crank generator that can be converted into a foot crank that could be used to charge batteries for prolonged outages.

HIDblue

Enlightened
The second thing I break out (after the flashlights, of course) is the laptop and my spare mega-battery. A great opportunity to watch a DVD movie by 'candlelight'.

Yeah, mistake on my part, I left my laptop at work and usually rely on my desktop at home. Lesson learned.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
There is a Chinese hand crank generator that can be converted into a foot crank that could be used to charge batteries for prolonged outages.

Its just marketing, when the AC is out and the A/C is off, the last thing you want to to work up a sweat! Especially when its pouring outside and humid on the inside.

I wish there were more 8D camp fans available in stores, I cant find any here:shakehead

hopkins

Enlightened
always a solution

2zhia3c.jpg

red02

Enlightened
............... Tailstanding lights are fine, but they get knocked over very easily. A headlamp probably would've proved useful as well.

An evening without the TV, computer, internet was a little odd. You never know how addicted/dependent you are to technology until you have to do without it. ..........
+1

Tailstanding is fine, but headlamps are more useful and efficient. Headlamps can -always- tailstand and generally have a more floody beam which tends to be more useful than a spot beam in a blackout around the house.

I've found that 150lm is a pretty good level for decent room lighting while tailstanding. Oh, and toilpaper roll makes a tailstanding light out of any light.

I've also found that set levels depress me. Its much better to be able to ramp up and down when you need a low low, or need just a -little- more light. It sucks having to jump of 5 to 20.

Last edited:

Scott Packard

Newly Enlightened
Earlier this summer I went on a 3-night trip for training and I put my Zebralight h60w (w/tailcap unscrewed) in my luggage for the heck of it. The room was so dark at night I couldn't see my way to the toilet even after I'd slept so my eyes were adjusted to the dark.
I put the light on the lowest setting from then on before I went to sleep, and turned it off in the morning. 3 nights, one battery, no chance of recharging.
From its specs: Low: 0.4 Lumens (26 days) or 2.4 Lumens (9 days).

As far as power failures, I have UPS for a server, and string up extension cords to my backup generators for longer-term outages, to power some fluorescent lamps, the server, and the refrigerator. Some day I'll get around to getting a manual transfer switch.

Jmark

Newly Enlightened
3D malkoff Maglite is my preferred light.

I should pick up a fenix or something of the like.

I also use my RR conductors lantern (starlite 292 incan)

Gaffle

Enlightened
I have always liked my 4D MagLED. Take reflector off and you have a torch that would make Indiana Jones proud! Those suckers have long runtime to boot.

For this situation you cannot rely on just hand flashlights. I always have at least 2 headlamps sitting next to my side of the bed, and my wife has her 2 headlamps also.

Petzl Myo Xp (new one with the Seoul) and my Princeton Tec Remix. Gotta love AA and AAAs during emergencies.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just want to add to the chorus: Zebralight H501w. I have a decently large panel of lights to choose from... but I always come back to the H501 during power outages... smooth, even light, great runtimes, can be worn or just shined up at the ceiling or at a wall... amazing!

sabre7

Enlightened
12 hours???? Thats overnight. I try to prepare for 12 DAYS of power outage darkness because around here it is a proven possibility any time of the year... PakLite, 4D Mag with niteize bulb, Gerber Infinity Ultra, Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 300...

HIDblue

Enlightened
12 hours???? Thats overnight. I try to prepare for 12 DAYS of power outage darkness because around here it is a proven possibility any time of the year... PakLite, 4D Mag with niteize bulb, Gerber Infinity Ultra, Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 300...

12 days? Where do you live sabre? Alaska?

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last Wednesday, Pittsburgh had a pretty bad storm. I lost power from 4:30 pm to about 2:30 pm Thursday. About 20 hours of blackout.

I was very paranoid about power consumption so I didnt use any of my tactical bright surefires. I used a cheap Coleman light 3xAAA and puts out 120 lumens (according to the packaging) I had it tailstand in my bedroom. I also used my milky candle on high or my Surefire minimus headlamp on low to navigate my apt.

Other than admiring that I have light during a power outage, it is extremely boring without the internets.

sabre7

Enlightened
12 days? Where do you live sabre? Alaska?

No just the Ohio Valley. Tornadoes, ice or snow storms that knock power out for days & days, wind storms, and even the possibility of severe earthquakes being near the New Madrid Fault line. A week to 10 days without power is not out of the question here.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
During blackouts, I actually prefer to use my slightly larger lights, particularly ones that are of the 2x123A (or 1x18650) form factor. As the OP mentioned, tailstanding is invaluable. I usually just set it at a nearby table that won't get disturbed. The larger lights allow me to run a bit higher output without it getting hot and for longer periods of time compared to using a small, single-cell light. My Dereelight CL1Hs were great for blackouts as they ran for a long time on low (which is really a medium output). They don't tailstand, but there are ways to make them tailstand when needed. The beam shape doesn't matter when using in candlemode. Just don't look up at the ceiling.

One of my main criteria for lights is that they are able to run efficiently (or at least capable of running) on both Rechargeables (NiMH or Li-Ion) AND Primaries. The reason being, once my Li-Ions ran out, I had no power to recharge them. I always keep primaries around for emergencies and those were useful once the Li-Ions died. I do have a couple of lights that run only on Li-Ions (1x18650), but those are rare instances where the lights were bought more for collecting and pleasure than for utility purposes. For a light I plan to actually use (not just for specific purposes or for fun), accepting Li-Ions only makes no sense to me.

I had a River Rock lantern that was great during a blackout also, but sadly I destroyed it trying to mod it. I like that Coleman or whatever brand lantern that can collapse (can find them at REI and similar outlets). It's so small that it can be packed away easily without taking up much space and expanded when you want to use it. Haven't picked one up yet though.

sabre7

Enlightened
I have found that after a couple days of a power outage, D batteries are all gone from store shelves while other sizes like AA & 9V are still widely available. Having lights that can run on primaries is a great idea and if you have devices that take Ds, keep some extras, and get some AA-D converter cases.