17W cheap ebay bike/flashlights - for real?

konadawg

Newly Enlightened
OK Admin hope this gets OK'd ;-)

Found a handlebar mount light on ebay, claimed 17W, takes 3x AAA batteries. Cheap...

What's the verdict?

konadawg

Newly Enlightened
Well that's what I'm thinking too - but is the output realistic? The cost is sub-10 US :eek:, is that a factor? Im a total noob about this stuff.

I would consider drilling the body and adding an external battery pack if the output is good, but I have no idea whether "17W" is meaningful or a total load of BS.

I just bought my first LED flashlight, a cr123a powered claimed 3 watt mini which I strapped to my helmet, it is just about usable in total darkness and reckon that two-of will be fine, albeit this time I will look out for aaa power due to the cost of the cr123a!

So I'm jsut looking around and came across this 17w thing and am wondering if anyone knowledgeable can fill in.

Thanks again:thumbsup:

Whitedog1

Newly Enlightened
17W in such a small form factor is ipossible! It will overheat as quick as you put it "on"!:poof:

on the other hand: with 3 AAA batteries you will get a runtime of 1,2V * 1000mAh = 1.2W /17W = 4,2min :poke:

Will be a very short ride :candle:

Probably it can be used as a search backup light to find the way home....:whistle:

konadawg

Newly Enlightened
Hmmmm... it gets worse, how about 27W...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bike-Bicycle-He...Sport_Cycling_Accessories?hash=item414a12ce5f

So, what gives? Claimed output just BS?

I am reasonably happy with my 3w ebay purchase but alone that is not enough so either another one or something brighter.

Any tips on how to get through the BS and find something cheap and bright?

I only very occasionally ride at night so not prepared to spend any real money.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes!

... 3*AAA ... forget such a light
... plastic housing ... forget such a light
... overrated Watt claims that are 10 times higher than possible with a normal led ... forget such a light

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
on the other hand: with 3 AAA batteries you will get a runtime of 1,2V * 1000mAh = 1.2W /17W = 4,2min :poke:
SilverFox's testing leads me to believe that even the best AAA NiMH cell under a load of 4.7 amps will have a maximum capacity of around 300 mAh - if it doesn't fall flat on its face like most will. Average voltage would be ~0.92 V.

0.92 V * 0.3 mAh = 0.276 Wh.
0.276 Wh / 17 W = 0.016 h = 0.97 minutes = 58 seconds.

:poke:

ncaudio

Newly Enlightened
17W is totally for real, it's a "model number" only, 17W doesn't mean 17 Watts, it means we want you to send us money for a cheap light that some people think has 17 Watts of output and runs for a long time on 3 AAA batteries. Of course it doesn't have 17 watts of output and they don't say it does.

znomit

Enlightened
17W is totally for real, it's a "model number" only, 17W doesn't mean 17 Watts, it means we want you to send us money for a cheap light that some people think has 17 Watts of output and runs for a long time on 3 AAA batteries. Of course it doesn't have 17 watts of output and they don't say it does.

Well, in the specs it says:
  • High intensity and High power 17W LED

Over here we see a model name H128R too.

konadawg

Newly Enlightened
I actually played stoopid and asked the vendors what the 17w/27w respectively meant ;-)

They both claimed it was the power output!! :shakehead

herulach

Enlightened
So if you've not got the idea by now, it's a pile of junk ;)

For marginally more money you can pick up a decent (albeit very spotty - best suitable for use as a headtorch) light from dealextreme. Romisen RC-G2. All in with this bar mount or this helmet mount. will set you back only an extra 5 dollars, runs for about 2 hours on a decent AA rechargeable, and is easily upgradeable when you get the bug ;)