18650 room lamp?

Poppy

Flashaholic
A few years back, I added a USB cable to my 3 D cell GE Enbrighten Lantern so that I could run it off of 18650 power banks.

1635331081813.png

sonomajoe

Newly Enlightened
You can buy diffusers for flashlights to turn them into lanterns then all you need it tail standing and maybe also a way to hang them upside down like in a tent or tree branch or from a ceiling light fixture.
Ok - this sounds like the best solution since I have a 3 18650 flashlight already … but it's a 4 inch lens - I looked up flashlight diffusers , all of them so far are like 1 inch for tiny flashlights … any ideas on this front ?

LEDphile

Enlightened
Anything of the appropriate size and made out of a translucent material will work as a diffuser. So you may even have something suitable on hand already - think tupperware, empty half-gallon jug, etc.

sonomajoe

Newly Enlightened
LOL... well I guess we will just have to disagree. :)
Having a powerful flashlight aimed at the ceiling is fine as long as you do not look at half of the room . - I guess you have ceiling lights without diffused shades on them - just harsh lightbulbs.

Not for me -

sonomajoe

Newly Enlightened
Anything of the appropriate size and made out of a translucent material will work as a diffuser. So you may even have something suitable on hand already - think tupperware, empty half-gallon jug, etc.
I'm thinking that white gorilla tape or is it flex tape that could be used to go around a small glass that is the right diameter then taped to the flashlight … I've already looked around for sone type of bright white thickish plastic - I thought I had one of everything …

Poppy

Flashaholic
Having a powerful flashlight aimed at the ceiling is fine as long as you do not look at half of the room . - I guess you have ceiling lights without diffused shades on them - just harsh lightbulbs.

Not for me -
Well, that was a little bit of a snide remark. You guessed wrong.

Personally I do not like lanterns because they seem to draw my eye to look at them. Then I have glare, especially if it is bright. Putting a diffuser on a flashlight is like trying to make it into a lantern.

Maybe a diffused flashlight is better than many lanterns because the sides of the emitter is typically hidden by the sides of the reflector. So if it is eye level you aren't looking right at the emitter.

I have tried turning the lights out, and placing a ceiling bounced flashlight in different locations. I tried placing it under a lamp to use the lamp shade as a diffuser. If I use a lantern or ceiling bounced light, I think that it is best to place it above eye level, like on top of the entertainment unit or the refrigerator. I've also placed it on the floor behind a couch so as not to see the light directly, but rather reflected/diffused light off of the wall, and the ceiling.

Experimentation is fun for a flashaholic. :)

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking that white gorilla tape or is it flex tape that could be used to go around a small glass that is the right diameter then taped to the flashlight … I've already looked around for sone type of bright white thickish plastic - I thought I had one of everything …
You might find a tupperware type plastic item that fits that would work, at least at lower lumen levels.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I do not like lanterns because they seem to draw my eye to look at them. Then I have glare, especially if it is bright. Putting a diffuser on a flashlight is like trying to make it into a lantern.

Maybe a diffused flashlight is better than many lanterns because the sides of the emitter is typically hidden by the sides of the reflector. So if it is eye level you aren't looking right at the emitter.
Most lanterns and diffusers suck.

I have been 3D printing them and after a lot of experimentation have come up with diffusers that are pleasant to look at with minimal glare.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You could try and find a white plastic cup the right size to fit the light or if it tail stands a slightly smaller one can just be put right on top of the light upside down. If you found a large plastic container with the right material you could cut it and fabricate a diffuser cone from it with tape and/or glue.

My main issue with diffusers is they typically reduce the light output some, I like direct ceiling bounce but often you need to sit the light up higher than eye level so as to not be blinded by looking at it. If you want to hang it from something upside down you can just cut an appropriate size piece of plastic or use a sheet of paper and cover up the end of it. You just have to hang it high enough so it will be able to spread the light out to cover the area you need it to.

Jim 1965

Newly Enlightened
Most lanterns and diffusers suck.

I have been 3D printing them and after a lot of experimentation have come up with diffusers that are pleasant to look at with minimal glare.
Hi I liked your post. I like using my lights that have candle mode with a diffuser. I have 5 lights that have candle mode,they all have a glow in the dark diffuser. I would like to see more of the diffusers you are coming up with. Thanks Jim

Reactions: xxo

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi I liked your post. I like using my lights that have candle mode with a diffuser. I have 5 lights that have candle mode,they all have a glow in the dark diffuser. I would like to see more of the diffusers you are coming up with. Thanks Jim
This is the latest that I have come up for throwy lights like Mags:

Inside of the top is shaped like a lens to reflect light back out the sides to reduce the hot spot that would normally project through for more even diffused light.

The base keeps it standing up stably and it snaps together with the diffuser for storage and transport.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
So there is a cone in there where the tip of the cone points to the LED?
Cones don't work - I tried a bunch and they were worse than a flat surface. The lens is concave like a parabolic flashlight reflector and it works the same way except it is reflecting light backwards and out the sides. The 3d printed filament lattice that forms the lens absorbs and diffuses light that is not reflected back.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Timing: i've been reading this thread, and this morning's ad from Brightguy is pushing their LEDLenser ML6 rechargeable lantern "warm light edition," which uses 18650, and as a bonus they are throwing in their Flex 3 power bank which comes with a 3400mah 18650 and a USB cord.

Looks like a room light that would be comfortable to use and takes the 18650. Might be your answer.