EagleTac P200LR ~ 18650 duty light w/ optic

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anybody tried one of these yet? I'm thinking of grabbing one of these from Ali Express as they have a 519a option, but can't find much of anything on the light.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never ended up getting that one, I don't know for sure but I haven't seen a review on eagtac in years.
I remember illumination gear and j2ledflashlights were the last sellers I bought from, they had a couple emitter options and sometimes the brightness was posted.
Remember to look at the ansi output for the otf lumens. Led lumens is before it goes through the reflector and lens

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never ended up getting that one, I don't know for sure but I haven't seen a review on eagtac in years.
I remember illumination gear and j2ledflashlights were the last sellers I bought from, they had a couple emitter options and sometimes the brightness was posted.
Remember to look at the ansi output for the otf lumens. Led lumens is before it goes through the reflector and lens

Eagtac seems like they've lost popularity with the YouTube reviewer community. Why pay for a light to review when Thrunite and Olight will send 'em for free? I digress.

If you message Eagtac on Ali Express you can request for them to put in a different LED and they will as long as their supplier has it. I'm still thinking on grabbing a P200LR from there, but I'm stuck between a 3500K 519A or a 5700K 519A. Last I messaged them, they had the 5700K, so I had them put one in a D25AAA just to see how I like it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Eagtac seems like they've lost popularity with the YouTube reviewer community. Why pay for a light to review when Thrunite and Olight will send 'em for free? I digress.
One of the reasons I started my own YouTube channel.
All independent reviews. No one sponsors me, no one gives me free items to review, no one owns me.

Back to the topic.... Exposed charging hole. No cover. No thank you.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the reasons I started my own YouTube channel.
All independent reviews. No one sponsors me, no one gives me free items to review, no one owns me.

Back to the topic.... Exposed charging hole. No cover. No thank you.

It's a waterproof socket though, so I'm okay with that. None of my cell phones came with rubber covers and they've fared just fine.

I just really, really miss the simple tighten/loosen head UI of the old Fenix, 4Sevens and Eagletac lights that got them sued by Surefire. I have no idea how Eagtac is getting away with using it still. Being able to special request an LED is the icing on the cake.

Didn't know you had a channel. Link?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Please check your CPF Inbox.
Don't want to be accused of trying to get free publicity for my channel on CPF itself.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just really, really miss the simple tighten/loosen head UI of the old Fenix, 4Sevens and Eagletac lights that got them sued by Surefire. I have no idea how Eagtac is getting away with using it still.
The question probably is: Did Surefire 'win' that suit with a judgement? They say one can 'indict a ham sandwich'. One can probably sue a ham sandwich too, but may not win(?).

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!

Back on topic (well kind of), I received the D25AAA with a 5700K 519A, to my surprise they printed off a special label with the LED and the lumens (LED and ANSI.) I've never considered myself a cool white guy, but dang, this LED is truly a sight to behold. I'm tempted to order the P200LR right now with it, but I'm going to try and be patient until I get the D25C2 Mini I ordered from them with a 3500K 519A.

I know CPF logic would tell me to just buy the P200LR in both CCTs, but my way gets me 3 different flashlights and saves me 20 bucks:grin2:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The question probably is: Did Surefire 'win' that suit with a judgement? They say one can 'indict a ham sandwich'. One can probably sue a ham sandwich too, but may not win(?).

Given that 4Sevens and Fenix stopped with those designs, 4Sevens and Eagletac became Foursevens and Eagtac shortly after that, I'd guess they did. I'm not sure what the name changes have to do with it, but I doubt it's coincidental. I've never been able to find the result of the case, so perhaps it was settled out of court?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got received my P200LR with 5700K 519A earlier today, I figured I'd give some initial thoughts. First off, it's pretty small for an 18650 light, barely bigger than my Foursevens Quark QK16L, which is a 16650 light. The beam has pretty decent throw for such a small head and domed emitter and unlike most lights that use an optic, this light doesn't have the typical super wide spill that doesn't really have a sharp cutoff, the spill is actually rather narrow with a distinct cutoff. It's like the size of my Emisar D4K's hotspot (dedomed 519A.) I wish I was better at doing beamshots, but they never show up well enough to do a light justice.

Programming the 3 head positions is a little tedious, requiring you to press the tail switch 20 times to program the light into the next level. I do love the idea of using head position to select the mode, but there's no way I can tell with the light off where it goes from medium to low. The included manual is for multiple Eagtac models and the flow chart's percentage levels and available modes isn't accurate. Below I copied the numbers from Taschenlampen's member pho's review of the P200LR in the standard SST40 version.

Level 1:
  • 680lm (2.5h)
  • 680lm & 1250lm
  • 680lm & 1800lm
  • 1250lm (1.2h – 2.2h) temperature controlled
  • 1800lm (1h – 2.2h) temperature controlled
  • 1250lm & strobe
  • 1800lm & strobe
Level 2:
  • 450lm (4h)
  • 250lm (7h)
  • 115lm (15h)
  • Strobe
Level 3:
  • 75lm (25h)
  • 35lm (50h)
  • 14lm (180h)
  • Strobe
On the lowest head setting, the light unfortunately has a brief bright preflash. Charging through the USB C port is limited to 5V-1A unfortunately, but I do like the idea of being able to charge the light to 80% with the light off or click the light on to charge to 100%. Speaking of the USB C port, I found in the baggie with the lanyard and o-rings, a small plug for the port. It just pushes in there and doesn't have any retention method when charging, so it's going to get lost most likely. Still, it's nice they included it.

I'll post more when I get a chance to really use the light, but I like it so far.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Bit disappointed with mine. Love the form factor. But their rated lumens come up short compared to my Nitecores, and my Acebeams rated in the same ballpark. Still, that form-factor is terrific.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I kind of noticed that myself, even taking into account the loss with a 519A.

Interestingly enough though, pho's findings posted on Taschenlampen were very close to Eagtac's OTF numbers, except for the 1% mode, which was rated at 14 lumens, but ended up being 2.

Is it just the beam from this optic that's throwing off our perception?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
No, it's not just the optic. Though I suppose it's possible Eagtac's output numbers are spot-on, with Nitecore, and Acebeam underrating theirs? But not likely. Still, due to the very EDC-friendly form-factor and excellently simplistic U.I. (can't accidentally switch to a lower mode thanks to a side-switch unintentionally getting pressed or more than one tailcap switch), mine keeps finding its way into my pocket more so than other recent purchases.