1D lights?

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to have a 1D body that a Peak Logan head would thread into.....imagine the runtime, especially with a QTC pill installed.

where's some enterprising person with a lathe?

So I actually had a custom tap made so I could make my own tubes for the Eiger. I've done a couple experiments including a rectangular flat body with two battery tubes side by side and two Eiger heads (I call it my Peak Hydra)

I could do a D cell body with 1 (or 2 or 3!) Eiger heads. It would be cool. I could do one high output head, one mule, and one high CRI or any combination really.

braddy

Enlightened
I think someone should make a Pak-Lite, that pops onto a D battery, instead of just the 9 volt, and that will run forever, a light dedicated to black outs.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about not being regulated?

I prefer regulation and current controlled output, but I'll tolerate non-regulated output and PWM if there are no other options at an acceptable price point.

At this point, the options seems pretty slim, so if you're aware of an unregulated 1D light, I'd love to know about it.

--flatline

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering what the appeal would be to be honest unless you're not comfortable with li ion cells. A single 18650 will have the same or better output and runtime in a much smaller light

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering what the appeal would be to be honest unless you're not comfortable with li ion cells. A single 18650 will have the same or better output and runtime in a much smaller light

The appeal is that I have a stash of partially used C and D cells that I can only use in a single cell flashlight since I have no way of reliably matching them in pairs or triplets. If I had a 1D light that I liked using, I could burn through all those cells with that light.

--flatline

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix should make a "D01". Just like the E01 but with a D cell. Can you imagine? Tough, simple, efficient. Light for days.

Now everybody just hold on. That's a fine idea and all, the D01, but don't sit there & try to leap frog my AA version of it- I don't think fenix has made a single mode AA twisty since the civictor v1.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa now. Many of the applications being discussed here are very low power draw lights intended to last forever. At very low currents, an Energizer D cell is rated at 18,000 mah.

Quality low self discharge rechargeable NiMH D cells are rated from 8,000 - 10,000 mah and are capable of insanely high current draw.

To get that kind of capacity, you would have to run several of even the best 18650s at which point your light isn't so small anymore.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've looked a bit harder and still can't find a source for the Lumintop SD10 that isn't Ebay.

Selfbuilt reviewed two versions, a cool white with smooth reflector and a neutral with an orange peel reflector. I definitely would want the later. The Ebay listings, naturally, don't specify what's actually for sale.

*sigh*

--flatline

bansuri

Enlightened
Wow, that that TLL is very cool. Just ordered one thanks to this thread.

I think you could make a little shroud that would keep it from blinding you. I might try my hand with some PVC.

I got the TLL when it came out, the idea is great, but the execution prevents it from getting as much use as it should.
Specifically: the ON function relies on the anodizing in the tailcap as an insulator, mine flashes ON as the cap is screwed on in a couple places so I know that the anodizing isn't perfect.
Other manufacturers get around this by removing the tailcap from the equation by putting a PCB inside the tailcap that makes contact between the end of the battery tube and the PCB. Doesn't matter if the ano gets worn. I have minimized the wear and spurious contact points by putting some thick grease on the threads.
Additionally the plastic diffuser dome is not an item offered as a replacement part in the event of breakage. This light is heavy, I suspect the dome wouldn't survive a drop on a hard surface. Hope I don't find out. A replacement kit with white and some other colors would be a great offering.
On the plus side: It works as advertised, is easy to swap emitters, has a handy 1/4-20 receiver on the butt end, and comes in a nice tube for protecting it in transport.
The lack of hotspot makes it nice for photography, we've used it camping - especially nice on the low mode, it also does well lighting up a room during a power outage if you place it up high and let the ceiling bounce light the room.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now everybody just hold on. That's a fine idea and all, the D01, but don't sit there & try to leap frog my AA version of it- I don't think fenix has made a single mode AA twisty since the civictor v1.

Some one has done a D version of the E01, albeit with magnets and wire. I've been trying to do some 3D printing for my D cell light but access to 3D printing is not cheap.

In the mean time, here's an easy-ish AA conversion of an E01. Like to do a better job though ... using 3D printing ...
20140401_121814.jpg

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been 3+ years since this thread died. I'm sad to say that I never picked up a Lumintop SD10 before they disappeared. It's now super easy to find cheap 1D flashlights at hardware and grocery stores, but they're so tremendously poor quality that they don't survive long enough to use up the battery that they come with.

Now that we're approaching the end of 2017, is anyone aware of any decent multi-mode flashlights that can run on a single D cell?

--flatline

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason why good ones don't exist is why? A single 18650 light will be much brighter and more ergonomic. Same for a 26650 light but even better runtime. Most people don't have NIMH d cells and a 3xAA for people not wanting lithium ion compatibility will also provide better brightness/runtime than a d as no need for inefficient boost circuit

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One thing to keep in mind...
Rayovac and Energizer are battery making companies who sells flashlights. Point being "sell batteries". 2 cell lights require 2x the batteries, therefore 2x the batteries sold vs a 1D light.
Yeah a 1D would be great, but they never sold well due to brightness issues during the incan days. Kel-Lite did a 1D that took two half D cells to get the brightness of 2 batteries in series. It was about as popular as a tooth ache due to lack of batteries.
(May have been done by LA Screw as well.)

I think some folks here have done Maglite 1D mods but that's for another day I suppose...

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The appeal for me of a 1D light is that with the proper adapters (which I already have), you can stuff anything from a AAA to a D cell in it. I've got a bunch of unmatched partially used batteries of various sizes and a 1D light could eventually consume them all.

If the 1D light is actually a pleasure to use, I'd use it more and therefore burn through my stash even faster (a good thing, really!).

--flatline

Burn em up as lanterns using AAA and AA lights... your Quark can do it (any battery chem/size).

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's always possible to have someone shorten and rethread a M*glite similar to these:

Short_Mag_004.jpg~original

IMG_0427.jpg~original

IMG_0435.jpg~original

IMG_0424.jpg~original

P1010341.jpg~original

As you know, power is equal to voltage times current and since D cell alkaline maximum current capability is about 0.9 Amp (with acceptable capacity) and voltage of 1.2V under load so maximum wattage is about 1 watt (1.2x0.9=1.08) which is too low for 1D size and weight flashlight.
Flashlight engineers can not increase current draw in order to get more power (wattage) so they increase voltage by adding number of cells like 2 cell, 3 cell and... which results longer and heavier flashlight. For example 3 cell has 3.6x0.9=3.24 watt.
Remember, this statement is for primary alkaline cells which is readily available to average people with fair price.
When you go with rechargeable cells like NiMH D size, then your voltage is still same but you can raise current to say 5 Amps which means 1.2x5=6 watt
With new technology 26650 you can go even more while drawing same 5 Amps. 3.7x5=18.5 watt
Another possibility is 2 serial 18650 and in this case: 7.4x5=37 watt.
Obviously, each system has it's own good or bad points.
Increasing current draw is also limited to switch capability and resistance of other electrical connections.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I feel 1xAA lights have gotten to the point with output, efficiency, and multi modes that a 1D Mag with choice of emitter and reflector (smooth or LOP) would sell well enough to justify building them.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My Pelican 2350 (1xAA) puts out 175 lumens on alkalines or eneloops.
175 lumens from a 52.xx mm Maglite head is pretty dawg gone bright considering. Something in the neighborhood of 40k+ candela... yeah, a 1D Maglite with an LED like the Pelican has would satisfy many-a consumer's flashlight needs with a train car load of runtime.

Scout, I fear a secret pact was made between LED makers and battery makers that around 1 hour of runtime on high output will satisfy the average person's thirst for brighter while selling more batteries and cooking LED's quicker. Speculation on my part, but history causes me to think it could be true....
A few years ago "100,000" hours was the shout. Then "50,000"... now it's "30,000" or even "10,000" in some cases.

I also noticed Maglite's newest stuff does not include batteries. Due to rechargeables taking over the battery makers are hemorraging $ and Mag's market is steadily shrinking... so I also speculate whatever pact those 2 once had has turned into "you're on your own brutha"...

Last edited: