1xAA with tailcap switch

eggsalad

Enlightened
Unfortunately my EDC light is gone. I'm looking to replace it with a 1xAA with a tailcap switch, hopefully with only 2-3 modes.

Top contender is the $30 Olight I5T. Other choices are the Lumintop Tool AA and the Fenix E12.

Anything else in that range I should consider?

Thanks

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
All have constant current circuits. Play with the emitter and color temperature choices on the product pages. If desired, contact Convoy store to request the forward clicky switch option for T Series. But in the end, you get two flashlights for the price of one "in that range."

eggsalad

Enlightened
All have constant current circuits. Play with the emitter and color temperature choices on the product pages. If desired, contact Convoy store to request the forward clicky switch option for T Series. But in the end, you get two flashlights for the price of one "in that range."
Interesting lights, but I'm afraid I really can't wait a month. Thanks for the ideas.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately my EDC light is gone. I'm looking to replace it with a 1xAA with a tailcap switch, hopefully with only 2-3 modes.

Top contender is the $30 Olight I5T. Other choices are the Lumintop Tool AA and the Fenix E12.

Anything else in that range I should consider?

Thanks
It might be good to indicate what you've been using to this point, and what you did or perhaps did not like about it. That is valuable information in these situations.

That said, don't forget about the venerable Eagtac D25A MK II. Depending on your specifics, aside from perhaps its most serious shortcoming, which is lacking a switch with 'momentary on' capability (it uses a "reverse" switch, which is one reason for its minimal form factor for a tailswitch light using a 'real' switch and conventional reflector), it can be a great choice for some in this category. I use a couple every day around home. They ship fast from stock, from a great U.S. distributor (in case that happens to be the country in which you reside) in a choice of several emitters (currently including a very nice example of the SST20 R9080 4000K, if you're into color rendering). It also has a good, basic UI with a couple of basic but good options which make it pretty usable by most.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting lights, but I'm afraid I really can't wait a month. Thanks for the ideas.
Usually, a small order from Convoy would be delivered to a US address within 11—16 days. It's unclear why some experience longer ship times, but I can only assume it has to do with the time of year, or what time of day and what day of the week the order was placed. For instance, if you ordered this morning, you could expect at least a couple to a few days to be added to shipping time, as they have weekends in China, too. It's confusing to me, but they're only half a day ahead, so 9PM Sunday here on the East Coast is simultaneously 9AM Monday in Beijing. There is no guarantee of shipping time, however, so it you have to double your cost for expediency, it is understandable.

Kayaker530

Newly Enlightened
Usually, a small order from Convoy would be delivered to a US address within 11—16 days. It's unclear why some experience longer ship times, but I can only assume it has to do with the time of year, or what time of day and what day of the week the order was placed. For instance, if you ordered this morning, you could expect at least a couple to a few days to be added to shipping time, as they have weekends in China, too. It's confusing to me, but they're only half a day ahead, so 9PM Sunday here on the East Coast is simultaneously 9AM Monday in Beijing. There is no guarantee of shipping time, however, so it you have to double your cost for expediency, it is understandable.
I agree. I have placed a couple of small orders and they have both reached my home in Northern California in about 15 days. In perfect condition without any hassles.

eggsalad

Enlightened
That said, don't forget about the venerable Eagtac D25A MK II.
I had an EagleTac some time ago. I forget the model but it was a 2xAAA. I liked it, so I looked up the light you recommended. Too many modes, confusing UI, and $20 more than the other lights.
As for my usage, I work in Live entertainment, so the light is primarily used backstage in dark environments. And now that I've studied the operations of all these lights, I think I'll get the Fenix. Mostly because it *always* switches on at the lowest level, which is what I'd use 80% of the time.

Oh! And I've just discovered it's in stock at my local REI so I can have it tomorrow!

Last edited:

Kayaker530

Newly Enlightened
I have an earlier version of the Fenix E12 and really like it. I do not like the dimensions of V2 of that light.
My wife and I both really like the Lumintop Tool AA.

I think my next inexpensive light to test will be the Convoy T3 since I can get a high CRI LED and it has 12 modes to choose from and I can turn memory mode on/off.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an EagleTac some time ago. I forget the model but it was a 2xAAA. I liked it, so I looked up the light you recommended. Too many modes, confusing UI, and $20 more than the other lights.
As for my usage, I work in Live entertainment, so the light is primarily used backstage in dark environments. And now that I've studied the operations of all these lights, I think I'll get the Fenix. Mostly because it *always* switches on at the lowest level, which is what I'd use 80% of the time.

Oh! And I've just discovered it's in stock at my local REI so I can have it tomorrow!

Cool! In my experience most Fenix stuff works as advertised, so if you like it on paper, it'll probably do the job for you. I have an early version E12, and it still works, but of course the new(er) version is a different animal. Also, it's hard to beat next-day local pickup if you're in a hurry, so that was a plus!