200 Lumen per Watt - Cree MK-R multi die chip

Tiresius

Enlightened
I wasn't planning on modding my car headlights. I know it's not allowed. However, I think these l.e.d.s have the potential to be used in the next generation of OEM car headlights. Might make hybrid and electric cars more energy/fuel efficient. In a lot of places now, you can get a $200+ ticket for not having your car headlights on in broad daylight. This takes away the fuel savings of a hybrid car as they can't run on battery alone with the power draining headlights on. You get the increased cost of a hybrid, the increased cost of maintenance, and no savings from fuel efficiency. L.e.d. headlights have the potential to save new car owners money from using less fuel in the newest generation of hybrid and electric vehicles.

Indeed, imagine the efficiency of them hybrids with lower drain lightings. LED itself has replaced many incan and yes, we do save quite a bit of electricity by persuading our parents into switching all light fixtures to LED. I'm just not a huge fan of the 6000k+ tint at home, IMO.

I can see the increase efficiency in these hybrid vehicles. With today's LED technology and color rendition, the only advantage traditional light bulbs have over LED is their ability to run independently in tight spaces and not worry too much about heat issues. It wont be long until LED technology can fix that issue.

Really good times are coming. I wonder who'll be the first manufacturer to transform all of their hybrid car's lights into LED :whistle:

SemiMan

Banned
I wasn't planning on modding my car headlights. I know it's not allowed. However, I think these l.e.d.s have the potential to be used in the next generation of OEM car headlights. Might make hybrid and electric cars more energy/fuel efficient. In a lot of places now, you can get a $200+ ticket for not having your car headlights on in broad daylight. This takes away the fuel savings of a hybrid car as they can't run on battery alone with the power draining headlights on. You get the increased cost of a hybrid, the increased cost of maintenance, and no savings from fuel efficiency. L.e.d. headlights have the potential to save new car owners money from using less fuel in the newest generation of hybrid and electric vehicles.

Daytime running lights have been proven to provide a significant safety advantage. They make for significant reductions in certain type of accidents. Where they are required, the brightness level required is not even as bright as a low beam headlight. Purpose built daytime running lights can be implemented for <10 watts total on a car with LEDs. However, it is not uncommon for car manufacturers to just PWM the halogen low beam to have the lowest cost implementation.

That said, in the big scheme of things, halogen daytime running lights are perhaps 50-60 watts total or a small fraction of the power the vehicle needs to operate and would not impact the ability of a hybrid to run on battery alone. That compares to the 1+ KW that the motor is using.

Semiman

langham

Enlightened
I feel like the best flashlight application for these would be to replace old MCE leds, but the voltage does cause issues. Why haven't they came up with an alternate where you can wire them in parallel? Will this happen? They are crazy. Earlier it was stated that they were almost 15W, but by looking at the data sheet at 1.25A and 12.25Vf you would get around 15.3W total and from the picture it seems that the output vs. current is relatively linear at that point and you could probably push them closer to the 1.5A of the individual die, especially if you mounted them directly to a copper heatsink. Why couldn't they be used in a flashlight application? With the LiFePo4 batteries 4 in series would get you very close to what you would want to power them at the 1.25A range. That would lead to some great driver efficiency.

langham

Enlightened
After further inspection these actually are able to perform pretty close to the SST-90, the SST-90 was tested at 25C and puts out 2700lm at 9A and these at 25C would put out 2400lm at that temperature. Since the SST-90 is so inefficient these would have a lower Tj and therefore be more likely to run at lower temperatures and would likely perform very close to the SST-90. This is assuming that they were both ran at the maximum manufacturer ratings and not over-driven.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fine for industrial, construction and auto. ... A pipe dream for now, I am thinking, 11.7 volt forward, a 12 volt agm (advanced glass mat, used in security systems, and online for $20) would work. I always thought 3 or 4 18650 battery system is minimal to get ample candela, from any xml, for any workaday length. (The multi die promises closer to 180 lpw, not 100lpw when ran harder.) This manufacturers seem to forget. Runtime and lux=usefulness and essential amount of light that bounces back to eyeball of area being looked at.

Most agm's put out like 13.6 volt, if I remember, off charger. (Heavy, more for bike and toolbelt, but energy potential of 5 lowend 18650s) So, I am wrong that they could drive these? Why not 3 18650's for better runtime/usefulness than 4?

Last edited:

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any idea if/when/where these might be available? Digkey shows no stock and Mouser on order, so I am assuming nowhere yet?

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, I emailed David at Cutter and he has some 3000K ready to ship. I really wanted to pull the trigger but I am hoping to get mine mounted.

WeLight

Enlightened
So what are your thoughts on a quad 32mm MKR with Narrow LEdil and Hyperboost driver?

langham

Enlightened
It seems like to me that they are going toward multiple die leds for color rendition, but not overall. The MK-R is the only new led that I have seen that is a small package multi-die led and is not color. Some of the larger ones are multi-die, but the CXA series arrays are one large die. I think they did it purely for efficiency purposes. I think that if you could hook the led up in parallel people would be willing to replace the MC-E leds with these. Maybe someone who had an MC-E hooked up in series could just drop one in and say what they think.

Modsquad

Newly Enlightened
Looks like this l.e.d. would work great for replacing 100 watt bulbs or 23-26 watt (100 watt equivalent) florescent bulbs. 15 watts is at least a 8 watt savings over the 100 watt equivalent florescent bulb or about a 35% reduction in power consumption (probably less after circuitry losses). If these are cheap enough to use more than one per bulb, we might get closer to 150-200 lumens/watt efficiency for the bulb. I was hoping that I could get an l.e.d. flashlight with a 200+ lumen/watt l.e.d. once they became available. I don't think this l.e.d. will be going into many flashlights anytime soon. I think my best bet is to wait for higher bins of the XM-L2 as they become available.

With the voltage being near 12 volts, these may also possibly work for car l.e.d. headlight, power failure lights, and low voltage lighting.

Hi, am always interested in new advances of LED flashlights. From my search I came across the Niwalker Black Vostro BK-FA02 CREE MT-G2 2420 Lumen 4x18650 NW. It is my understanding that, like the MK-R, this cree led is predominantly being used to replace incandescent lamps in architectural incandescent lighting fixtures. The use of the Cree MT-G2 in applications such as flashlights is very new. I just wanted to pass this on because you may or may not have known that Cree has already begun supplying Niwalker with this new led for use with high power/output thrower flashlights following it's primary introduction as a viable replacement in incandescent lighting fixtures. The following is the link to edcplus.com website's page advertising their Niwalker
Black Vostro BK-FA02 flashlight.

http://edcplus.com/niwalker-black-vostro-bkfa02-cree-mtg2-2420-lumen-4x18650-nw-p-181.html

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in for what it's worth.

Modsquad