2000 Pontiac Sunfire Headlight Upgrade

JCiarlino

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up my parents' old Sunfire to use as a new daily, to save money on fuel instead of driving my YJ all the time. This morning was the first time I've driven it in the dark, and I knew the headlights were bad, but was unaware of how atrocious they really are. By far the worst headlights I've ever driven with. It has the original Guide headlamp housings from 2000, so I know that those need to be replaced, but I'm not able to find any new OEM housings anywhere. I am also unsure of what bulbs it currently has, probably some LL versions or something.

So with that being said, who makes the best aftermarket housings and what bulbs should I put in? And if there are really no suitable replacements, I am not opposed to mounting a set of auxiliary low beams to complement/supplant the regular headlights.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
GM part numbers are 16530151 and 16530152; doesn't look like they'll be too hard to find.

Stock bulbs are a long-life 9007. Go hit up Dan Stern for a set of "off the books" 9007 +150 bulbs without any blue tint on the glass. While you're there, learn how to pay appropriately careful attention to the aim of your new lamps.

Realize that they're never going to be great headlamps, but new housings and the best bulbs with proper aim will make them a lot better than they are now.

JCiarlino

Newly Enlightened
Well damn, thanks for the links Virgil! I had just assumed that being a 22 year old Pontiac, new OEM housings weren't available. I'll send an email over to Dan for some bulbs, and I'm well aware of his aiming guide as I used that to re-aim the lights on my Jeep after the lift and new headlights.

Also, I know they aren't going to be up to today's standards for lights, but I literally could not see a thing with them on. I'm just hoping they are close to being as good as the lights I have in my Jeep.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 2002 Sunfire that's still running the stock bulbs. I bought an upgrade, it think it was the High Output Philips. But not those blue filters xenon ones. I don't know if they make them anymore, they're in the garage and I will have to see what exactly they are. When I tried to install them it was super cold and a couple of the skirt pins broke so I decided to stop and never got back to it.

Latest posts