2000 watt short arc

Davekan

Newly Enlightened
Great news. I have managed to get a proper 3000 watt short arc power supply. For now I have ordered a new 2000 watt bulb from the bay for cheap. I will use it for testing. If that works well, I will
then get Xstage 2000, or 3000 watt bulb for some serious cp.

Dave

Davekan

Newly Enlightened
Yes there has been some procrastination, but the project will move quickly now, as I have the supply now. I do have spider, and 3 axis focus ready. Also Aximax for cooling.

Dave

Davekan

Newly Enlightened
Here is the new 2500 watt bulb.

IMG_0311_zpsqfzqonsn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

PolarLi

Enlightened
Me too... Certainly an interesting lamp! I have never seen a single ended xenon that big. Seems to be a pretty short arc too.

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen single ended lamps without anode base by ASL but only up to 2200W. I'd been interested in these lamps by ASL, being so small and lightweight for this output, but I'd been weary of threads about reliability.

EDIT.. I see there is a single ended 3000W by ASL. Also that looks like an Osram base. It's quite the mystery lamp.

Last edited:

Davekan

Newly Enlightened
I fell out my chair when I saw this. I looks like a giant UHP bulb. Anyways it has S-90 burn position, and very small gap for this wattage.

Here is the make of the bulb. Also called Osram xbo 2500W HY PER

0986bd64-b6c1-4036-8ed7-99b4b595a8cb_zpslimfcysk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah is was an Osram base. I saw this one on ebay but couldn't find info about it anywhere and didn't see it was single ended because in the photos it was in the protective wrap. Any idea what the arc gap and current control range is?

EDIT.. Found a spec sheet for a XBO 2200 W/HP OFR and it compares well to the XStage 2000W. Same arc gap and nominal lumen output as the XStage 2000W, 10% less efficient, and 10% less peak operating current but it's a 40% smaller lamp.

Appears to be a series. I'd like to find out more about these lamps...
XBO 1200 W/HP OFR
XBO 1600 W/HP OFR
XBO 2000 W/HP OFR
XBO 2200 W/HP OFR (Spec Sheet)
XBO 2500 W/HP OFR
XBO 2900 W/HP OFR (Spec Sheet)
XBO 3000 W/HP OFR

2500W is probably the highest being single ended.

Last edited:

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
These combinations of arc gap and peak current make these the second most intense series of Xenon lamps right after XStage. Small size compared to lamps in this output range. I'm surprised I hadn't come across these before. Excellent find!

Davekan

Newly Enlightened
Just setting the focus limits, Would 10 mm total be enough, and should I bias it a 60/40 toward the vertex. Note the reflector has 60 mm focal length.
The 10 mm travel is for Z travel axis.

Thanks Dave

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally allow enough focus adjustment to accommodate the housing's construction tolerance plus the lamp's construction tolerance. 10mm seems enough. But extra on the Z axis, just in case. If the extra on the Z axis overly complicates the alignment configuration, stick with 10mm adjustment range but with the adjustment range centered further into the reflector and use shims to bring the Z-axis adjustment range out as needed. This is not a standard of any sort but I think a nice simple solution. This solves the issue of larger adjustment ranges affecting finite precision adjustment ability.

PolarLi

Enlightened
Did you mean focus stop for initial lamp alignment? For that 10 mm sounds good. Of course, that depends how close to focal point you manage to get the lamp on the first try.
Now, If you plan to defocus the light as an feature, I actually used 10 mm focus offset in my 60 mm focal length, 14" reflector, and lamp with similar arc gap. That was enough to go from pin point, to a big donut.

Last edited: