200mw green laser question

tcr03

Newly Enlightened
So the other day i was given a "200mw" green laser. Ive always wanted on for pointing out stars at night with my kids, but now that i have one im concerned about the laws and what kind of trouble i could get into pointing it at the sky.

I live in ofallon missouri

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a little worried about that too. The few times I've done it I just made sure to not point it anywhere near airplanes. I mean, if you are super careful and make sure to not go anywhere near them, I imagine that would be okay, but I'm not a law expert. I even got paranoid enough that I won't point it in the sky if I can see any airplanes pretty much anywhere near my field of view.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
The law varies quite a bit on this.
Legally, 5mw is the maximum power allowed in most, if not all areas.
Green is still fairly visible at this power, espc in dark locations.

Shining in the sky laws are far more variable depending on location and local ordinances.
Of course shining at ANY aircraft/vehicles/persons, etc is a given no no.
I have a laser alignment and aiming system for my camera and telescope and I've had a few knocks at the door and officers popping in my back yard, lights shining, questions asked..... after explaining my intentions, credentials, equipment AND explaining that I'm not actually breaking any laws, they caution me and then go on their way. It's quite aggravating.
I've queried about permits for astrology usage but there's no actual option for this, lol.

Sparkles

Newly Enlightened
The law varies quite a bit on this.
Legally, 5mw is the maximum power allowed in most, if not all areas.
Green is still fairly visible at this power, espc in dark locations.

Shining in the sky laws are far more variable depending on location and local ordinances.
Of course shining at ANY aircraft/vehicles/persons, etc is a given no no.
I have a laser alignment and aiming system for my camera and telescope and I've had a few knocks at the door and officers popping in my back yard, lights shining, questions asked..... after explaining my intentions, credentials, equipment AND explaining that I'm not actually breaking any laws, they caution me and then go on their way. It's quite aggravating.
I've queried about permits for astrology usage but there's no actual option for this, lol.

This is wrong.
Here are the laser laws for your area: http://www.laserpointersafety.com/rules-general/uslaws/uslaws.html
You can shine the laser into the sky as long as it doesn't hit an aircraft, or it's in it's path. Unless the state or local laws say differently.

When talking to officers, you should say "I exercise my right to remain silent, I do not consent to searches, I want my lawyer, am I free to go?" Repeat this until they go away, if they do say you are being detained, you have a right to know why. Say "What reasonable and articulable suspicion of a crime do you have as reason of detaining me?" If they don't tell you then say "I am assuming this is now a consensual encounter since you have not provided me with an articulable suspicion."
If they do tell you why, then just stay silent. If they do a "safety" search for weapons then any evidence they find will be unable to be used in a court of law.

Long story short, talking to the police will get you in trouble.

Greta

Flashaholic
This is wrong.
Here are the laser laws for your area: http://www.laserpointersafety.com/rules-general/uslaws/uslaws.html
You can shine the laser into the sky as long as it doesn't hit an aircraft, or it's in it's path. Unless the state or local laws say differently.

When talking to officers, you should say "I exercise my right to remain silent, I do not consent to searches, I want my lawyer, am I free to go?" Repeat this until they go away, if they do say you are being detained, you have a right to know why. Say "What reasonable and articulable suspicion of a crime do you have as reason of detaining me?" If they don't tell you then say "I am assuming this is now a consensual encounter since you have not provided me with an articulable suspicion."
If they do tell you why, then just stay silent. If they do a "safety" search for weapons then any evidence they find will be unable to be used in a court of law.

Long story short, talking to the police will get you in trouble.

I'm not so sure talking to the police in this manner is a good idea either. They CAN detain you! I think FRITZHID handles it just fine - even if it is a bit of a PITA. Putting the police on the defensive and pretending to "know your rights" falls in line with "a person who represents himself in court has a fool for a client". Knowing the local laws regarding the use of lasers is always a good idea if you use one on a regular basis. But being an *** to the cops - well... be prepared for a trip downtown.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
I agree with Greta I'm an avid Laser builder and user Pissing off the police is not the way to go. When Im using my lasers on telescopes I explain why its there and in use I also explain its on only during alignment of the scope towards a celestial object and then turned off rite away, every single officer I've talked to with respect has been very decent about the situation and now many see my laser and come to have a look in my scope. Use your head if there are aircraft in the area wait till they have cleared the sky before firing the laser and you wont have any problems provided its legal in the area you live. Most of the reports with aircraft are directly related to idiots with lasers purposefully pointing them at or in the path of aircraft. IMO there is no reason to fire a laser into the sky unless your using it for observation related to astronomy or if your lost and using it as a beacon. Pointing lasers at cars can be just as dangerous as aircraft and pointing any laser at another person is just plain DUMB. As far as I know the sale of any laser above 5mw is illegal in the US you can own them Greater then 5mw if you build them, but cant sell them. I have 2W lasers that I build, I use for engraving on my 3D printer. I also have <5mw green lasers on my astronomy scopes that I buy because they are cheaper to purchase then build. I also have red, green, blue and purple lasers from 2W down to 50wm that I use for burning and cutting stuff as well as hand engraving work. I use proper eye protection and use them in my home shop only. Lasers are fun yes but they are not toys, in the wrong hands they can be very dangerous. Be Smart, Be Safe Lasers are way more fun that way. Be respectful and work with your law enforcement you'll find its easier in the long run you will often find being respectful will leave you with a stern warning as apposed to Stainless steel bracelets and fines. Just my 2 cents worth

Joe