White Laser?

quantumn

Newly Enlightened
I haven't heard of a white laser. Is there any such thing?

Looking for the most powerful available here or in Red China.

quantumn

Newly Enlightened
Ok so I guess there is no white laser.

The reason I ask is that a hostile neighbor has set up a video camera pointed at my backyard where my kids play. I consider this a violation and dangerous.

I want to use a laser pointer to blind the camera. What wavelength would be best for this? Red, green, blue? What power?

quantumn

Newly Enlightened
Wow. I must be doing New Science.

I'd thought this is a forum of experts...

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't heard of a white laser. Is there any such thing?

Looking for the most powerful available here or in Red China.

Here is a forum specifically on lasers

Civilian lasers won't damage his camera, they'll just leave a white spot on his screen. It will be necessary to point the laser exactly at its lens and the laser must be constantly on as long as you don't want him to see. To do this, you will need to make a laser with constant power supply and good cooling. + They are still not durable, so you will have to change the emitter periodically

But there may be legal problems depending on where you live. If he starts complaining that you're shooting lasers at him and that you might hurt his eyes... For example, in the eyes of our local law, pointing a laser at someone else's property is much more serious than pointing a video camera. Unless, of course, the neighbor installed a camera to spy on the children

quantumn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, but there are 5,000mW lasers now. That should do it.

Of course I'll be filing for a protective order if he ignores my Cease and Desist Letter, but I want to have a backup plan. He has limited resources so I doubt he records at night.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you live in the UK the cameras can only film his own property. You can also request copies of any films that captures yourself as to be a burden.

Last edited:

quantumn

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the US Pacific NW. Doubt we have such a rule, although if any area does it'll be progressive PacNW.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
You do not need a laser, an IR flashlight with a tight beam will blind the camera, and the beam will not be visible. In addition to that I would install a camera myself pointing on his property, does not have to be functional, let them think it is, and a bright light shining in his bedroom window. Then you can negotiate, he moves the camera, and you move the lights

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
nope, it it will blind it so he wont see anything.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you mean permanently damage, then no. temporary disable while your light is on. Even lasers may not kill it, i tried, not with laser pointers you can buy.
I would not bother, to kill it, he'll call cops, and you get slapped vandalism charges, if he says it hit him in the eye while he was inspecting his camera or whatnot, and he suffered eye damage, then the charges maybe be upgraded to a felony assault. Your goal is to stop him recording your yard, not get a criminal record. and if he takes you to civil court, he'll win

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
By law if he can see it from his property, he can record it. you have no expectation of privacy, in places that are openly visible.
Why are you so worried? let him record, it is no different than if he watches them play. Now if he ever publishes them, minors with faces not blurred, than he would be breaking the law.
Tell him, you do not care, have a lawyer send him preserve the evidence letter, so he saves all the footage, and hands it over anytime you demand it, he can not delete it, it would be destruction of evidence, not all of it is true, but he most likely not gonna want to have these problems, and hire a lawyer to find out, and he'll move the camera himself.

Last edited:

quantumn

Newly Enlightened
Oh I am not so frightened as you are. I am 70yo and a lawyer and know what I am doing.

I am asking simple questions, not for legal nor moral advice.

So cool yer jets and go away alpg88

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your problem seems complicated.
True, but one thing is straightforward; quantumn has demonstrated he does not show polite consideration to our members and is asking for information to enable a hostile act against a neighbor for reasons we have no understanding.

Thinking those are against forum guidelines.

TechGuru

Newly Enlightened
Yes there are white lasers, that's what laser light sourced TV projectors use.