2012 Battery test/review summary

J32P

Newly Enlightened
Just a quick post to report I bought the Panasonic NCR18650B Protected 3400mAh (Green) from two different vendors for $15.83/pair and $16.21/pair (both including shipping) and tested them at 1A, 2A, and 3A with my West Mountain Radio Computerized Battery Analyzer (CBA III). My 3-amp test was down to 2.7 volts, while my 1 amp and 2 amp tests were set to cutoff at 2.8 volts. My results concur with those reported by HKJ. Averaging my tests of all four cells, my test results under a 1 amp load show 3288mAh. When tested under a 2 amp load show 3211mAh. When tested under a 3 amp load show 3062mAh. By far the best 18650 cells I have ever tested.

Where did you buy them (link)? I want to try a pair but dont want to over pay or get fakes.

Thanks

(New here)

Corvette6769

Newly Enlightened
Central Illinois USA, In a van down by the river
The link provided in the first post of that thread no longer takes me to the deal mentioned in the first post and that site is very hard to browse on my phone. Have a direct link?

As the last few posts by that dealer (who I would not buy from again for the reasons stated in my posts there) , they are no longer shipping, however last I knew, the other dealer I mentioned (FastTech) in my posts still is. Posting of links to dealers is strictly prohibited in this forum.

mward94

Newly Enlightened
i just bought some panasonic NCR 18650B 3400 mah (green) batteries for my Nitecore P25. According to the wah charts i think this battery will be good for a high current light like the P25. i am fairly new to flashlights but not to electronics. Any comments? Thanks guys your forums are a big help.

gewain

Newly Enlightened
Fasttech no longer ships li-on batteries by air. They have other methods but are so expensive as to be prohibitive. The price of batteries seems to have risen after the ban. I'm now looking to find somewhere as inexpensive as Fasttech and hopefully quicker shipping.

As the last few posts by that dealer (who I would not buy from again for the reasons stated in my posts there) , they are no longer shipping, however last I knew, the other dealer I mentioned (FastTech) in my posts still is. Posting of links to dealers is strictly prohibited in this forum.

hankc

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your reply.
Can you recommend me the best protected betteries (best quality , best runtime and if possible with lower self discharge) for my Zebralight SC600W MkII L2 and the best for Fenix TK35?
I use it at the high and medium output and I change the battery when the high level is cutted off. So I need the best runtime before cut off.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thank you for your reply.
Can you recommend me the best protected betteries (best quality , best runtime and if possible with lower self discharge) for my Zebralight SC600W MkII L2 and the best for Fenix TK35?
I use it at the high and medium output and I change the battery when the high level is cutted off. So I need the best runtime before cut off.

Without knowing the cutoff voltage I cannot specify the battery.

The best battery will probably be a LG D1 3000mAh that is charged in a 4.35 volt charger, but they can be a bit hard to find, especially if you want protected.
The safe choice is a 3400mAh battery.
You might get longer runtime at high with a 2600mAh battery, but that depends on the cutoff voltage.

hankc

Newly Enlightened
For Zebralight the step down voltage is 3,3 V (I have put out the battery and measured the voltage immediately after step down).
I use the Flashlight at H1 level (1020 lumen) and at H2b (330 lumen) (a little more often at 330 lumen), rarely at M1 (65 lumen). The max drain at H1 level is about 3,5A, at H2 is about 0,65A 4,2Volt and 0,8A 3,4Volt and M1 0,11 A 4,2Volt (is it possible? I have used the tailcap method to measure).

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
For Zebralight the step down voltage is 3,3 V (I have put out the battery and measured the voltage immediately after step down).
I use the Flashlight at H1 level (1020 lumen) and at H2b (330 lumen) (a little more often at 330 lumen), rarely at M1 (65 lumen). The drain at H1 is more than 3A (about 3,5), at H2 is about 0,65A 4,2Volt and 0,8A 3,4Volt and M1 0,11 A 4,2Volt (is it possible? I have used the tailcap method to measure).

Did you measure the voltage while the load was on the battery? If not the measurement is invalid, battery voltage will jump up immediately when the load is removed.

When you have the correct voltage and current, you just uses the battery comparator to find the best battery:
Select the current that is closest to the actual current (Do only checkmark one current, it makes it much easier to read the chart).
Find the battery that stays above the voltage for the longest time.

Note: Unprotected batteries will always score slightly better than protected batteries.

You can also use my summary page, where you check the "Discharge, capacity down to x.x volt", where you use the chart closest to the voltage you want and look for the longest bar of the correct color (yellow is 3A).
But this summary has not been updated for some time, I need to split the charts into smaller ones.

kpangy

Newly Enlightened
Thank you HKJ, this and your website have been an absolute goldmine of info, I've learnt so much from it. All your hard work is very much appreciated.

hankc

Newly Enlightened
Did you measure the voltage while the load was on the battery? If not the measurement is invalid, battery voltage will jump up immediately when the load is removed.

In what way? I have tryed with tailcap method in 2 different flashlight but dont work.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thanks for the reviews! Is there a reason why Olight batteries are not included in this comparison?

It is as simple as it can be: Olight has never sent me some and I have not bought any.
Also note that this tread is not updated, check my comparator on my website for a full list of tested 18650 batteries.