3 way light - LED Omnidirectional filament options?

Steve Dave

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I have a question regarding three-way lights for 150 W – 100 W – 50 W. I am not a fan of directional lights inside a lamp Beside the sofa that is pointing towards the ceiling. It makes little sense to me why so many lights are configured this way.At this point it should be old tech.

I want to know where I can buy 3-way light that is a filament. At least this way I can get my omnidirectional.

For the last five years, I have been using the CFL because nothing else was available from what I can find

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a LED 3-way 50-100-150W equivalent bulb with E26 base but doubt it's filament and can't see inside but will check.

It's for older floor lamp with Mogul lamp socket. Trilight uses two filaments but the A19 socket adapters (Home Depot and Home Hardware) I could find OTC only pass through two contacts, apparently lighting the higher setting, but not lower setting at the same time to give maximum brightness; bummer. It gives about 100W equivalent with only on/off, which I can get without a 3-way bulb.

Would you consider using 3-step touch dimmer module combined with more common (and cheaper) 150W-equivalent LED filament bulb which is dimmable?

Dave

Last edited:

Steve Dave

Newly Enlightened
I have a LED 3-way 50-100-150W equivalent bulb with E26 base but doubt it's filament and can't see inside but will check.

It's for older floor lamp with Mogul lamp socket. Trilight uses two filaments but the A19 socket adapters (Home Depot and Home Hardware) I could find OTC only pass through two contacts, apparently lighting the higher setting, but not lower setting at the same time to give maximum brightness; bummer. It gives about 100W equivalent with only on/off, which I can get without a 3-way bulb.

Would you consider using 3-step touch dimmer module combined with more common (and cheaper) 150W-equivalent LED filament bulb which is dimmable?

Dave
I never knew about that. is that a lot of work?

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking about this, largest filament bulb I've seen OTC is "100W" equivalent, there may be larger ones out there.

Have to be careful, 100W equivalent seems to have different meanings depending on the light/vendor. Normally it's 1500-1600 lumens; 150W typically 2100-2200 lumens. A few I checked at HD claim "100W" but give only 1000-1050 lumens.

One found on Amazon claims 150W, but only puts out 1600 lumens.

Touch dimmer module is plugged in-line with the lamp, no work. I relies on touching cord or some part of lamp which is conductive, to switch. This might not work with all lamps e.g. mine is wooden, or be inconvenient i.e. touching cord. When it works, works well though.
Non-filament LED bulb dispersion has improved, but for some still may not be great downward towards the bulb base.

Dave

Last edited:

Steve Dave

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty sure I found Three-way bulbin the states a couple years ago. But they wouldn't send to Canada

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you could visit Rona, Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Lowe's, they might have a live display of something which might suffice.

Is 3-stage touch dimmer with regular bulb an option?

Dave

Steve Dave

Newly Enlightened
If you could visit Rona, Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Lowe's, they might have a live display of something which might suffice.

Is 3-stage touch dimmer with regular bulb an option?

Dave
I don't really understand how this works as the desk lamp is wired for three way

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three-way lamp with regular 1-way bulb will light in at least one of the switch positions (two I believe, med/high). If it's set and left in that state, lamp can be controlled by external switch e.g. inline cord. That will give only one brightness level, full on.

Locally I am not seeing any filament type LED bulbs (and no 3-way) above about 1000 lumens. They may be out there but would have to order online and caveat emptor. It's probably a limitation of the technology itself. Watch the lumens versus "equivalent power".

I'm seeing some 3-stage touch dimmers such as Westek 6004B module but not cheap, $20 or more. Princess Auto used to sell similar for $5 but appear gone. That assumes it would work on your lamp, might have to try it; 1-way bulb must be dimmable. Dimmer does not work on my wooden floor lamp.

Dave

update: poking around a bit I find 150W equivalent filaments from Philips and Feit, lots of brightness but not dimmable so would not work with electronic dimming scheme.

Last edited: