3D cell LED light......HUH?

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
what's the big deal? why would you want a heavy 3D cell led light?

i see alot of folks buying the elektroblaster light, why?

Stefan

Enlightened
Probably a few reasons. 1)its cheap enough to afford, 2)its bright, 3)D cells have the longest burn time. 4)it looks like it can easily stand on end. 5)in the long run, D cells are the cheapest per hour of flashlight use.

I could go on, but this is a beginning. Getting the picture?

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having a product is one thing, but if it requires consumables - its best to make sure they are easy and cheap to find, 3D batteries are both

Just as Caliper: 9, 22, and 45

D

**DONOTDELETE**

OK,granted c-cells would have been better; but have you
seen the the beam shots? A ridicuously long burn time. Appears to be a good quality built tool with a fairly small bezel. reasonable price...want more? Hard anodizing...plus electrolumens products have a track record.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the blaster runs on 3 C cells.Edit- I was confused I re-read the blaster thread it is D cells.

LongThrow

Newly Enlightened
You can use a 3D for a weapon,
3D lights run forever and with the huge head on them, can sink the heat away more effectively. Also, the large head can hold large reflectors for a more intense hotspot.
One more thing, with the advent of the 5 watt LS retina burners, those large capacity batteries can push a Wizard board for a decent burn time, the head is great for the optics, it will take away the heat of the 5W beasts and has nice, high amperage switches on them. And one last reason for having such a large light, it is very hard to lose a big flashlight!
smile.gif
I will be getting a 4D running 6 C NiMH batteries for a tight, blinding 5 watt beam.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmmmm..........when will this 5W be out?

no, i haven't seen the beam shots. do i have to ask?
grin.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by tkl:
what's the big deal? why would you want a heavy 3D cell led light?

i see alot of folks buying the elektroblaster light, why?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">When I go hiking or walking, the LAST thing I want to carry with me is a big, heavy 3D light. Lighter is better.

BUT, if you were in a work environment, where you used a light maybe intermittently, but for 8-10 hours, a light with a longer run time is preferrable.

Also, the world, as a group, is "used to" 3D lights.

Also, a 3D light is a good choice to throw in the car or truck. The batteries will last longer, and it can always be used as a club or hammer if need be.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
budd, i have to agree. the small single cell led lights are unique and fill a niche. but when you put them in a larger light it's counter productive.

Entropy

Enlightened
I think the big thing here is "runtime"

You can put a 1W LS into a MiniMag 2AA (with a BadBoy or similar stepup regulator), and it'll run for 90-120 minutes depending on the converter and LED current. (The BB500 is the brightest, at the low end of the runtime curve)

If you put a 1W LS into a 3D Mag, it'll last a LONG time. A 1W LS, typically overdriven a bit (but heatsunk quite well) will provide a whiter and smoother beam than a 3D Mag, while being about the same brightness-wise. It will last longer, and you will never have to worry about the bulb burning out. (At least not for many years, and it'll go slowly rather than just suddenly going "pop")

And then there are the 5W LSes. Very few lights smaller than a 3D Mag can heatsink those monsters. Also, the most common step-up converter (The BadBoys) will not run a 5W LS off of 2 cells, it needs three.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Entropy:
[QB]
If you put a 1W LS into a 3D Mag, it'll last a LONG time. A 1W LS, typically overdriven a bit (but heatsunk quite well) will provide a whiter and smoother beam than a 3D Mag, while being about the same brightness-wise. /QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">will the "throw" be the same?

Afterimage

Newly Enlightened
I have an ordinary Ledcorp Turtlelite/Dorcy nichia LED in a 4D Mag. It won't win any prizes for brightness but it would be tough to find another light that will outlast it. It's for an emergency, not for everyday use.

dangee

Newly Enlightened
tkl
Flashaholic
Member # 2205

posted 01-31-2003 05:29 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what's the big deal? why would you want a heavy 3D cell led light? tkl

i agree tkl,

i enjoy bright output without the hefty size. a 3 d is no more brighter than a 3 aa flashlight. just more burn time, which is cool if u want to carry your luggage and workout weights with you. but as with anything else, its a matter a preference.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i guess i do, does somebody have beam shots?

Entropy

Enlightened
Originally posted by tkl:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Entropy:
[QB]
If you put a 1W LS into a 3D Mag, it'll last a LONG time. A 1W LS, typically overdriven a bit (but heatsunk quite well) will provide a whiter and smoother beam than a 3D Mag, while being about the same brightness-wise. /QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">will the "throw" be the same?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Depends on the optics. With EL's 30mm collimators or a side emitter using the Mag's normal reflector, yes, if not better.

For those that want a good floodlight, a Luxeon with a McFlood wins hands-down. The Mag beam SUCKS at anything other than the tightest focus. This is why my next light is going to be a 2D->3C conversion with a 1W Luxeon - I want a good floodlight with long runtime for around the house.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is this "mcflood" you speak of? may i assume it's creator is our own cpf member mcgizmo?
icon3.gif
smile.gif

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
I have just launched a 3D torch... the Landlux.
It may not be a pocketable torch, but is a handy task torch or camping torch with a VERY long battery life, so the torch, which I'm selling at £15.00 plus p & p will pay for itself if you are heavy user. Having such a long run time and the high reliability of solid state, you can use a torch for many other tasks, around the home or in your vehicle.
I was totally amazed by my 2D aluminium torch, which has a 2LED cyan PR bulb conversion. I've run the torch for many hours (including a 3 week camping trip in the states where it was my primary light source) Uses included walking, cooking, reading, signalling, mood lighting, and whn the bulb blew in my bathroom once, it was used to shave by. It still works on the original cheapo pound shop batteries, although it goes into "moon" mode, but still emits very useful light.
The Landlux and Benross 4033 have double the number of LED's, so are twice as bright, but the battery life should still be very good. The prototype Landlux will be put through its paces at the next camping trip I make.
You could have a 5W Luxeon running off AAA's or even a PP3, I've seen examples of this arrangement on this forum. Bit having a 20 minute run time when I typically might go on a 3 hour night walk will leave me without light very quickly.
My trusty 3D will continue to shine for many hours, and the batteries are cheap (£1 at Poundzone for a packet of 6 laid out in handy 3 cell sections.) Well done Power Plusent Ltd for supplying batteries in this type of pack!
So, I don't need to worry about the torch being plazyed with by he kids, or accidentally leaving it switched on all night after falling asleep reading! (As I did a few times in the States camping!)
I believe that this torch is about the cheapest-to-run lightsource you can buy!