3rd shift police officer...needs large

Frosstyx

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys, I am a 3rd shift police officer and I am looking for a larger sized (13 inches is the departmental max and I would like to be as close to that as possible) that runs on 18650s. Waterproof and High impact resistance(for obvious reasons). Can you guys throw me some ideas? I prefer a side switch with something this large...and no more than 3 modes with a strobe if possible. My budget is whatever I need it to be as my lights are my life...litterally... the xt11 is great for searching but I need something to use when Im on traffic stops and out with folks where my weapon is usually holstered(xt11 comes out with the weapon). Any suggestions would be awesome. Also no plastic...lol

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I have two questions....

Can it be rechargeable using something other than 18650?

Can you get away with 13.1 inches?

if you answered yes to both, then take a look at some of Streamlight's offerings.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a -little- past experience in that arena and understand some of the considerations.
Are you located somewhere that you'll be wearing gloves on shift (due to cold) or is it one of the warmer locations? Some of the side button lights are a PITA with gloves.

To me it sounds like you might want a Streamlight Stinger LED HP ).
It has been around a while and it isn't the most exciting, new, whiz-bang light out there but it does have a solid track record and you already know why that is important. A minimum of occasional care and some nyogel on the threads once in a while and that light should give you serious service, and they sell it at sears, for crying out loud so you can get immediate service/replacement if something does geek on you.

Oh, one note though, unless they've changed something this light is a "thrower" with a fairly concentrated spot and not a lot of sidespill. For duty work I tended to prefer a bit more sidespill.

The links from your post have been removed please read the banner at the top of the page - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I'm trying to figure out why the traffic stop light needs to be so large....when typically you are just needing to see enough to write a ticket/read documentation plus shining through tinted windows/under seats or into trunks, etc....?

IE: You typically need a low floody beam to read/write with, and a stronger flood and/or spot to search the car/see through the windows as you approach, etc.

This is the "side spill" issue mentioned above...a less concentrated beam with more lighting of the general area, so on a foot chase for example, you can see where you are going w/o tripping, yet also see the perp off in the distance, etc.

Lights like the stinger don't put out that many lumens, roughly half what your wee XT11 puts out...and the stinger concentrates the beam into a tight hot spot, which sucks for reading, etc....too much glare.

Did you want the light large to act as a physical deterrent, not because you need the potential output?

Last edited:

yotehunter

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to figure out why the traffic stop light needs to be so large....

Back in the 70's and early 80's, Kel Light was the go to light for LEO's and I've taken out more than one side glass and windshield with 'em! A larger light can also be a life saver in a physical confrontation.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I'm trying to figure out why the traffic stop light needs to be so large....

Back in the 70's and early 80's, Kel Light was the go to light for LEO's and I've taken out more than one side glass and windshield with 'em! A larger light can also be a life saver in a physical confrontation.

LOL - So, no baton?

They make tactical PENS that can do the glass breaking now a days...but, you don't need to pick one random tool, and say it needs to be able to write with and break windshields, or provide light and break windshields, or be a dessert topping, etc...etc.

It would be nice if you could have the light able to see into the vehicle WHILE breaking into it for example.

Most LEO's on traffic duty have a light, a sidearm or two, a knife, a baton, etc, on the duty belt or stashed somewhere, etc. Would you not carry one of them if your light could be used as a replacement?

Back decades ago, before the turn of the century, when the "Blind'm or Bludgeon'm" maglights or kelties etc, were popular...sure, the light HAD TO be large to provide enough LIGHT...so taking advantage of that was a natural option.

:D

As many are still stuck in that century's options, well, they still use the same equipment.

So, if a person just feels better having a light/club, sure...but my question was to ascertain if that were the case, or if they just didn't KNOW that there were new solutions.

Ragnar66

Enlightened
I really like my 3 d mag with the malkoff xml drop, focus can still be used so flood and spill, super bright and of course it takes a beating. I have the crenelated bezel and glass breaker on the *** end. Thank you please drive through at any window......

deeuubee

Newly Enlightened
Have you looked at the Solarforce Gladiator?
13"+ built for just what your asking. It uses any of the P60, M3, of M6 heads.

Norm

Retired Administrator
A flashlight is a lighting tool all posts that refer to using a flashlight as a club have been deleted. - Norm

Last edited:

Frosstyx

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to figure out why the traffic stop light needs to be so large....when typically you are just needing to see enough to write a ticket/read documentation plus shining through tinted windows/under seats or into trunks, etc....?

IE: You typically need a low floody beam to read/write with, and a stronger flood and/or spot to search the car/see through the windows as you approach, etc.

This is the "side spill" issue mentioned above...a less concentrated beam with more lighting of the general area, so on a foot chase for example, you can see where you are going w/o tripping, yet also see the perp off in the distance, etc.

Lights like the stinger don't put out that many lumens, roughly half what your wee XT11 puts out...and the stinger concentrates the beam into a tight hot spot, which sucks for reading, etc....too much glare.

Did you want the light large to act as a physical deterrent, not because you need the potential output?

I read very little outside of my patrol vehicle. I use the ambient light of my spot light to read anything I need to read out with a vehicle(or I will utilize my pocket clipped quiqlite). I was working 2nd shift for a while and was comfortable with the smaller XT11 during these stops as most of my stops if not all of them were during daylight hours. The larger light with a longer throw allows me to see into darker tinted windows and into tree lines a good bit further.

Many times in the areas I work in conjunction with the time of day the violator's vehicles will not have a working window so they will get out of the vehicle as I approach it or they will open the door so that I may conduct business with them, this can lead to problems and action is faster than reaction... hence the need for the larger impact resistant light that I approach with in my hand. That is as far as I will take explaining "tactics" or anything of that nature as I know that type of discussion is frowned upon here. I work for a larger metro department, all of our ticket writing/id and registration validation and warrant checks are completed using in car computers.

I would prefer the 18650s because that is what my other light takes...this light will either stay in the car or go into a dedicated pocket if I feel it is not needed(we wear tactical 5.11 uniforms with a built in flashlight pocket specifically designed for larger lights so the xt11 will stay on the belt)

I only wear gloves when I think I may get my hands "dirty"...lol and they are thin tactical gloves(provide very little warmth)

Ezeriel

Enlightened
Haven't you have kubotan training?

I'd use a floody 2 AA light. shine the light at their chest, you'd still be blinding them.

TheVat26

Enlightened
Pelican 7060 or 8060. I won't elaborate on tactics because you clearly know what you need. I'm with you on throw for seeing in tinted windows. Flood lights (like my Klarus RS11) will not punch through limo tint. You get a huge reflection from the flood. The 7060 lights up the interior easy. The 8060 punches even more. My CHP friends love the 8060 for that. I work the city so the smaller size of the 7060 fits my needs. Don't discount the 7060 or 8060's polymer housing. The heat sinks are aluminum and they are hefty enough. Pelican LOVES their LEO customer base and will fix whatever breaks or wears out without question quick.