3x XM-L Flashlight

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
I know I saw a thread on here before about a flashlight on Dealextreme with 3x XM-L in it but I can't find it. I was wondering if someone could PM me the link to the flashlight or the thread about it. Also wondered if it is at all a quality light or not even worth it.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Re: Dealextreme 3x XM-L Flashlight

Dealextreme and quality flashlights are mutually exclusive. You may buy something that works from DX but it won't in any way be quality or well designed.

Norm

Last edited:

Fastandbulbus

Newly Enlightened
Re: Dealextreme 3x XM-L Flashlight

Avoid the Skyray 818. The DRY 3xCREE XM-L T6 (marketplace and google) seems decent.

JulianP

Enlightened
Norm said:
Dealextreme and quality flashlights are mutually exclusive. You may buy something that works from DX but it won't in any way be quality or well designed.

Norm

Agree. Most of my DX flashlights stopped working, overheated, fell apart or behaved erratically. Their only good use is to make one appreciate quality lights. Believe it or not, quality flashlights turn out cheaper in the longer term. They can also save your bacon in an emergency.

Fadelight

Newly Enlightened
I'd have to disagree with the previous statements about DX. I've ordered several lights from them, and all of them have served me well. A couple of them required light modification prior to use (the wf-501B's had to be retro-fitted with some aluminum foil to help heat dissipation), but that's no big deal. The first one I purchased was received in December 2010, and is my regular duty light. (I am a security officer). It sees approximately 4-6 hours of use every single night, as it has for the past year and 3 months. Not one single issue.

In regards to the question... their 3x xm-l hasn't been on their site for a little while now. Amazon has a bunch though, but they all list it with different output ratings and not one seller lists the actual specs of the flashlight.

The light itself is a Trustfire T6.

Last edited:

Mike_TX

Enlightened
Agree with fadelight. I have a half-dozen DX lights and they've been working perfectly for a couple years now. I don't use them every day, but they're always bright and shiny when I need them.

No offense to Norm, but I think the regulars are too critical of the budget lights. I wouldn't take one to war, but I certainly don't think they're the garbage some on here make them out to be.

Just my opinion, of course.

The light the OP is looking for is the FandyFire STL-V2, DX sku 91136.

Last edited:

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
Main thing I wonder is if the Trustfire T6 or the Fandyfire would be more impressive than my JetBeam BC40.

Norm

Retired Administrator
No offense to Norm, but I think the regulars are too critical of the budget lights. I wouldn't take one to war, but I certainly don't think they're the garbage some on here make them out to be.

Just my opinion, of course.

The light the OP is looking for is the FandyFire STL-V2, DX sku 91136.

The OP asked about quality, I answered as I see it DX do not sell a quality flashlight.

I have purchased from DX In the past, they sell lights made to a budget and within that budget there isn't room for quality.

I wasn't critical or rubbishing DX's line of products, merely stating the facts as I see them.

Norm

yifu

Enlightened
I would avoid DX lights, they have very bad quality. They may work well for some, but not for others. Everything from the threads to the switches feel dodgy. If you're really tight for money, get the DRY 3 XML. At 75 dollars shipped it's going to be at most 25 dollars more than the DX offerings but of better quality.

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
I would avoid DX lights, they have very bad quality. They may work well for some, but not for others. Everything from the threads to the switches feel dodgy. If you're really tight for money, get the DRY 3 XML. At 75 dollars shipped it's going to be at most 25 dollars more than the DX offerings but of better quality.
Who sells these? Looks to be decent quality for the price. PM me if we aren't allowed to link vendors etc.

Newly Enlightened
I would Also suggest the DRY 3 XML. I love mine unfortunately the WW version is no longer in stock however the NW is still fairly warm. It seems the latest version upped the lumens rating from 2000-2500 to 3000 lumens though I don't know if anything has changed. The new version does appear to have a better battery carrier though. The price also dropped from $75-85 to $69-79. My only complaint with mine is visible PWM on low modes.

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
Again, if someone could send me a link where to buy the DRY I may get it.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Again, if someone could send me a link where to buy the DRY I may get it.
Go over to cpfmarketplace.com. You have to register again to post. The DRY thread is here.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...White-Warm-Tint-2500-Lumen-3x18650-Flashlight

A word of warning.
All the inexpensive 3*XML flashlights ask you to use unprotected batteries. The reason? They are using more energy than is safe for the batteries and would trip the protection circuits of protected batteries. Make sure you do not buy generic 18650 batteries. Get 3100 mAH redilast or panasonic batteries. Or special high current IMR types.

Before using your flashlight read the following instructions on the safe use of batteries.
Using Li-ion cells in LED flashlights safely.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Using-Li-ion-cells-in-LED-flashlights-safely
Most 18650 chargers are dual chargers. The 3*XML lights use 3 cells. NEVER just charge 2 cells and pop them back in with a third partially depleted cell. That guarantees an explosion. :poof: And take the warning "you can not run Hi mode constantly for over 5minutes" seriously.

We do not want you to be the next poster in this section of CPF.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?280909-Ultrafire-18650-3000mA-exploded
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?262234-TK-Monster-Explosion
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...CR123-Explosion-during-use-firsthand-account)

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

Go over to cpfmarketplace.com. You have to register again to post. The DRY thread is here.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...White-Warm-Tint-2500-Lumen-3x18650-Flashlight

A word of warning.
All the inexpensive 3*XML flashlights ask you to use unprotected batteries. The reason? They are using more energy than is safe for the batteries and would trip the protection circuits of protected batteries. Make sure you do not buy generic 18650 batteries. Get 3100 mAH redilast or panasonic batteries. Or special high current IMR types.

Before using your flashlight read the following instructions on the safe use of batteries.
Using Li-ion cells in LED flashlights safely.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Using-Li-ion-cells-in-LED-flashlights-safely
Most 18650 chargers are dual chargers. The 3*XML lights use 3 cells. NEVER just charge 2 cells and pop them back in with a third partially depleted cell. That guarantees an explosion. :poof: And take the warning "you can not run Hi mode constantly for over 5minutes" seriously.

We do not want you to be the next poster in this section of CPF.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?280909-Ultrafire-18650-3000mA-exploded
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?262234-TK-Monster-Explosion
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?120888-ROAR-of-the-Pelican-(CR123-Explosion-during-use-firsthand-account)

Well, exploding batteries would not be ideal, lol. They said the Warm White version can use protected cells. If that's true some Trustfire or Ultrafire or Tenergy cells would probably work. Otherwise I don't need this, just thinking about some fun stuff.

JulianP

Enlightened
Scary stuff. It's put me right off high output budget flashlights. I guess cheap HIDs would have the same problem.

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
Here's my unsolicited opinion on some of the items being discussed here...

Defining a "quality" light as one that works perfectly and reliably off the shelf from day one to day one thousand, affordable lights sold direct from China, like those from DX, KD, and yes, even CNqualitygoods are not "quality" lights. (I'm looking at the DRY and frankly, between the battery carrier and the disclaimers, I'm underwhelmed).

However, for a somewhat handy DIYer, affordable (and modest) lights from these and similar sources can be just fine. I mean that not just as a starting point for a custom project where most everything but the host will be replaced, but even with their stock components, just rebuilt. Lights like these often just need proper reassembly which takes time and care that the manufacturers simply can't afford to spend on them and stay within their profit margin.

For the most part, the machine work on the more common pseudo-brands (UltraFire, Romisen, Aurora, MTE, etc.) is acceptable. It's been a long time since I've cross threaded or stripped anything from these sources. Also for the most part, the drivers, despite being generic and unimaginative, are acceptable too.

By my experience, all it takes to turn most cheap lights into lights of a higher quality is a rebuild. That means stripping the light down to its components, cleaning everything, and properly reassembling. That means also desoldering the LED leads from the MCPCB, removing the MCPCB from the pill and removing all the silicone goo they use as thermal adhesive. Reassmble using good thermal paste and perhaps shim the space between the MCPCB and reflector with something non-conductive to ensure pressure is applied to the top of the MCPCB. While you're at it, take the time that they didn't at the factory to perfect the focus of the LED in the reflector. It's time with a soldering iron, a file and some steel wool that you wouldn't have to spend on a quality light, but for some of us, time spent that way accounts for more than half of the hobby.

Having said all that, I have to add my personal opinion of every 3 XML light I've seen in the budget category to date. To me, none appear to be appropriately equipped in terms of heatsinking or battery capacity to run the XMLs at high current. If the intended purpose is only for a lot of soft flood, meant to be achieved by running each XML at a max of ~1.5A, then I think these lights have potential. If the desire/expectation is for a genuine 30W of LED power applied practically, look elsewhere.... custom builds from experienced and capable modders.

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
Decided against buying any of them, just not worth it based on design, quality and possible exploding batteries. The Big Bruiser from Elektrolumens is nice and I am sure worth it's current sale price of $149 but I don't feel like spending that and it only has 2 modes, on and off, lol. I would rather have 2-3 modes, preferably 3, Low, Medium and High so I can get the light I need. Anyway, will make do with my Jetbeam BC-40, Titanium Innovations Illuminati and 3 pack of Costco lights, lol.

87james

Newly Enlightened
I couldn't agree more! when compared with budget light, the quality light might be more expensive but would turn out to be much cheaper in the long term actually. What's more, it sometime might save your life when in emergency. A friend of mine loves riding in the night, you know, night riding really calls for high quality of your total equipment, especially when you head for the hillroad or someplace unfamiliar. So one day he got a budget light from net and just wanted the first experience, what a poor guy! He turns out to stay in hospital for almost a month for leg-breaking.You know what, the budget night ran out power all in a sudden, just all in a sudden, without any friendly warning.