47's Preon Revo

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me I don't like small aaa lights that have different body diameters. Some small AAA lights have larger reflectors that require different diameters to compensate for the larger reflector and also for the electronics. Its done to eliminate having to design an efficient small relfector and the difficult task of having to shrink the electronics. It is easier to make that part of the light larger to fit everything.

The Revo head is not any larger than the very slim body -as slim as possible for the AAA cell. This is a pretty difficult task. The driver is also constant current regulated rather than pulse width modulated. This eliminates any possible stobe effect.

edc3

Enlightened
Can someone tell me why this is better than my Illuminati?

Lower low, no PWM, hopefully no inductor whine like my Illuminati has. If I didn't have an Illuminati already I would buy the ReVo. As it is, I can't seem to justify spending the money, even though I've tried.

mzil

Enlightened

http://www.batteryjunction.com/ti-illuminati-ca1.html

In addition to what's been mentioned already:

It's a tad thinner and has pretty much the same width for the entire body.

It weighs about a gram less.

It comes in a black finish which looks cool (to me).

Aluminum is a better heat dissipation material than titanium.

It costs less. (especially with the discounting dealer I used and their additional CPF discount, including free shipping by tacking on some accessories I needed anyways, to meet their minimum free shipping rate)

Even though I have a Maratac AAA that I like very much, I wanted an emergency light for my Altoids box survival kit and having the SOS, strobe, and beacon modes available when/if I need them, yet they don't get in the way in everyday use, is a key design feature I like very much, especially for my survival kit, and is the main reason I bought the Revo.

Of course all these reasons may be unimportant to many here, but I value them. [There is no perfect light for all of us.] Now knowing that the high will work for nearly 2hrs on the kind of battery I already use for emergency kit lights anyways (Li-ion, with a ~ 10 year shelf life and good immunity to car heat) is also a plus for me.

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

http://www.batteryjunction.com/ti-illuminati-ca1.html

Well, its kinda cool that Illuminati is Ti, but, the ReVO has a way better lug at the tail for keychain attachment, yet still tailstands.

The XPE in the ReVO I assume will have better throw than the Illuminati w XPG emitter.

ReVO still has Strobe, beacon, SOS, that is almost impossible to accidently get into.

The Illuminati gives emitter Lumens, ReVO gives OTF lumens, so they are about the same brightness.

The ReVO probably has WAY smoother threads due to the brass (SS version is what I have) male threads.

Its kinda cool that the ReVO was designed by our very own David Chow. (OK, not a real plus, but its still cool!)

Also, the low on the ReVO almost triples the runtime on the Illuminati.

Oh, and all three levels are regulated on the ReVO.

Free shipping.

Ten year warranty.

ReVO is cheaper.

:devil:

Last edited:

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
Its a really nice and usefull flashlight. Great as a keychain light! :party:

But as somebody mentioned earlier, my alu version has a the lowest mode constantly on when using SOS and beacon. Its still signaling but instead of shutting of the light totally in between the blinking, its using what seems to be the lowest mode. :confused:

Is this something on all ReVOs or just some?

Last edited:

mzil

Enlightened
I think all Revos do that. Mine does it too, at least. Since the low mode consumes so little juice anyways, I can't see how it possible could change the SOS/Beacon run time in any significant way and I actually think it may have a value. If a rescuer notices a dim flashing light coming from, say, the adjacent mountain or on the horizon, s/he could then grab a pair of binoculars and more quickly and easily pin point your position with a constant light source rather than just a very brief flash every ten seconds.

emzimmerman

Newly Enlightened
KiloVolt -

Any chance of posting a pic of the Revo next to, say a Versati and an ARC AAA?

Thanks.

Eric

HKJ

Flashaholic
KiloVolt -

Any chance of posting a pic of the Revo next to, say a Versati and an ARC AAA?

Until KiloVolt has done it, I can help with this:
DSC_4007.jpg

Darvis

Enlightened
I'll tell you why I'm liking my SS ReVo, I just clocked 82 hours of continuous runtime on low with a AAA Energizer Ultimate Lithium...

I don't know of any other 1.2 lumen AAA out there that goes that distance based on the tests BeaconOfLight, Scout, and Myself have just recently run.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3519028#post3519028

I think it's a great light and I'm not a multi-mode lover at all; can't wait to see what the E01 killer is like...