4sevens Maelstrom G5 Review (Real OTF Lumen's, Beamshots, Youtube Video)

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 4sevens Maelstrom G5 Review (Updated with OTF Lumen Readings)

As promised, beamshots are here :thumbsup:: I posted these on the first page of this thread, but I thought I'd post here too for anyone who has a slower internet connection.

The Fenix TK11 was the first shot I took, and as you can see, it's more out of focus than some of the other images. It's really hard for me to know what kind of image I've captured until I upload the images onto my computer, but I did notice the TK11 was out of focus before uploading, unfortunately by the time I noticed, I had already switched lights. I was pressed for time (i.e., rushed) so I didn't have time to go back and take another image. You will also notice that the camera got bumped during the shoot. I tried to line the camera back up as best as possible, but it's not perfect.

As a note, these images are over exposed. The lights didn't actually appear as bright as they do in these images, but the beam visibility through the air is more pronounced due to sprinkling rain off and on. I had to cover my camera with an umbrella :eek:. My main excuse is that I simply need more time behind the camera taking outdoor beamshots at these distances (and in general). At any rate, this should give you an idea; I used common lights as a reference hoping that the majority of people who are reading this have either had, or have one of these lights for comparison. All camera settings are the same. Distance from each light to the edge of the woods is roughly 70 yards (64 meters) total according to Google Earth. The Pine tree in the very back with low lying limbs is roughly 100 yards (91.44 meters).

Maelstrom G5 vs TK11
fqe3rP.gif

Maelstrom G5 vs Eagletac P20C2
PhXoSm.gif

Maelstrom G5 vs Quark 123-2 Tactical
aGjJIc.gif

Maelstrom G5 vs Quark 123-2 Turbo
volxXq.gif

Maelstrom G5 vs Raidfire Spear *Orange Peel Reflector*
Npc9k3.gif

Maelstrom G5 vs Tiablo A9
LQK0FB.gif

Last edited:

henry1960

Enlightened

As promised, beamshots are here :thumbsup::

Great Shots....And Just To Think When Production Model Comes Out It Will Be Brighter. :thumbsup:

recDNA

Flashaholic

The second photo of each gif animation loads only partially. I can't see the Eagletac photo at all, only the top half shows up. The Raidfire Spear animation doesn't animate. They do work if you go to the original links but not in the forum view. In the Raidfire Spear shot the foreground seems very brightly lit which I found odd since it should have less spill than the Maelstrom. The Maelstrom beam in that particular animation seems greenish in comparison to the Spear but doesn't in other photos.

Kudos for the all the work. It is appreciate. My remarks are not meant to criticize, just analyzing what I see.

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

The second photo of each gif animation loads only partially. I can't see the Eagletac photo at all, only the top half shows up. The Raidfire Spear animation doesn't animate.

That's strange. It seems to be working fine for me. Are others having trouble viewing also?

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

As promised, beamshots are here :thumbsup::

Great Shots....And Just To Think When Production Model Comes Out It Will Be Brighter. :thumbsup:

:D:D I hope 4sevens sends me a production model for testing after I send this one back :thumbsup:. I've got my fingers crossed.

dr. quad

Newly Enlightened
Re: 4sevens Maelstrom G5 Review (Updated with OTF Lumen's and Beamshots)

:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs GREAT job on the beamshots!! its nice to see how the g5 holds up to the rest of the crowd!

question though, i noticed the quark turbo was a little off center, how did the g5 do in comparison to the turbo quark?

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ti-Force Its Working Fine For Me.....

Good deal. Thanks for confirming.

:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs GREAT job on the beamshots!! its nice to see how the g5 holds up to the rest of the crowd!

question though, i noticed the quark turbo was a little off center, how did the g5 do in comparison to the turbo quark?

It pretty much blows the 123-2 Turbo away :thumbsup: The hotspot is still very close to the rest of the hotspots (it's off center, but not by much), you just can't really see it as much because of the distance. The beam has spread out on the Turbo at that point. Follow the beam through the air and you should be able to see that it's going in the same direction as the rest of the beams.

Last edited:

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast

*Very* impressive beamshots... wow.

dr. quad

Newly Enlightened

It pretty much blows the 123-2 Turbo away :thumbsup: The hotspot is still very close to the rest of the hotspots (it's off center, but not by much), you just can't really see it as much because of the distance. The beam has spread out on the Turbo at that point. Follow the beam through the air and you should be able to see that it's going in the same direction as the rest of the beams.

wow, thats pretty amazing! i'm REALLY interested in seeing this in person now:sigh:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

*Very* impressive beamshots... wow.

Thanks for the kind words :grin2:

I made a gif of the Quark 123-2 Tactical vs the Quark 123-2 Turbo so you might get a better idea. Just keep in mind that I've swapped the XP-G R5 bin cool white emitter in my Quark 123-2 Tactical for an XP-G R3 bin neutral white emitter (tint is in the 3A-3D range). Also, I have OTF numbers for both of these lights and the lumens are very close between the two even though the NW emitter is 2 bins down.

Here are OTF numbers for each one:

Quark 123-2 Tactical AW 17670
1 sec_________253.3
30 sec_________227.9
1 min_________225.5
2 min_________223
3 min_________220.6

Quark 123-2 Turbo AW 17670
1 sec_________247.3
30 sec_________241.2
1 min_________240
2 min_________237.6
3 min_________236.4

Quark 123-2 Turbo vs Quark 123-2 Tactical
dQPhzG.gif

wow, thats pretty amazing! i'm REALLY interested in seeing this in person now:sigh:

Hopefully they will have it ready for purchase soon.

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

The second photo of each gif animation loads only partially. I can't see the Eagletac photo at all, only the top half shows up. The Raidfire Spear animation doesn't animate. They do work if you go to the original links but not in the forum view.

Are you still having trouble viewing the gif's? What browser are you using?

In the Raidfire Spear shot the foreground seems very brightly lit which I found odd since it should have less spill than the Maelstrom. The Maelstrom beam in that particular animation seems greenish in comparison to the Spear but doesn't in other photos.

Kudos for the all the work. It is appreciate. My remarks are not meant to criticize, just analyzing what I see.

I can't explain the greenish tint in that picture. GIF's seem to introduce a lot of noise into the picture anyway, so that might have something to do with it.

I can explain the spill of the Raidfire Spear though. I forgot to mention that my Raidfire has an orange peel reflector, so that's why it has more spill. I'm glad you pointed that out.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Youtube Video of User Interface Operation:

Here's a short video that I uploaded to Youtube showing how to switch mode sets and cycle through the modes. The picture quality isn't excellent, but it will work. It was recorded with my Droid phone. No commentary for two reasons. 1.) the operation is pretty much self explanatory. 2.) I don't want you guys picking on my southern drawl :D.

Click here for the link.

KingCanada

Newly Enlightened
Personal attack removed. Take your issues up in private, not on the forums.

Last edited by a moderator:

PayBack

Enlightened
Re: 4sevens Maelstrom G5 Review

Wow, it's like someone read my mind. The first thing I thought when I saw the picture was "awesome light but I hate those stupid bezel crenellations" and started thinking about ways to machine them off. Then reading further down, found that the light already comes with a non-crenellated bezel. Yay! .

Pretty much said it for me.

sfca

Enlightened
Re: Pics - Man that's a HUGE spot. I saw the other beamshots and I'm like hmmm maybe too small. But no way!

recDNA

Flashaholic
Just too bad so many people expect blinky modes that manufacturers feel compelled to include them. I love it when there is an option to make them unavailable like in the Quark tactical UI.